5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went wheeling - got winched out - I need sliders!

antwon412

Reaction score
Went out on a trail with my father-in-law in a spur of the moment decision. I wasn’t paying attention I was driving and drop ped the front end of the truck right into a ditch. Put it in 4 low, hooked up to my father in laws Jeep and he slowly pulled me out. Then went and continued on some trails I barely fit on. Good times!

(Guess I should‘ve taken the Wrangler I just bought for wheeling instead!)

9375E887-9BA4-4DA9-AC06-7B1123AA4D91.jpeg 07F8EFEC-2015-4344-AD24-B41366BBF787.jpeg 37A79044-1B27-432F-99F5-7FF55B7B9C5B.jpeg CC62DABF-3189-43DB-8248-ACA8C0AE6BCC.jpeg F478BF5F-810A-4688-BF83-30F082FC5F3C.jpeg A8AEC808-91F5-44C4-92CD-C8ECDD6DF8CF.jpeg 6E38B1C6-BD73-4D32-ADEB-444D4EC9FDD1.jpeg
90C9F363-01C8-46E1-93FC-0B5FDA3C3D2D.jpeg

singlerail

Reaction score
surprised it got stock, 2 wheels still on the ground...did you use the rear locker, and turn off tc all he way

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Happy ending to a good adventure. Live and learn. Thanks for sharing. We call our father in law FIL (“Phil”) for short. Nice to see a Ram out and about in the elements and glad it all turned out well. How do you like that soft topper? Been looking at those for camping.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Went out on a trail with my father-in-law in a spur of the moment decision. I wasn’t paying attention I was driving and drop ped the front end of the truck right into a ditch. Put it in 4 low, hooked up to my father in laws Jeep and he slowly pulled me out. Then went and continued on some trails I barely fit on. Good times!

View attachment 78523 View attachment 78524 View attachment 78525 View attachment 78526 View attachment 78527 View attachment 78529 View attachment 78531
View attachment 78534
Hey, you got it out and had fun, without getting hurt or causing damage to the truck, so awesomeness all around in my book!

RockYacht2020

Reaction score

Oh man, and now you're gonna need a truck wash! Nice work out there. I don't have a Phil with a Jeep, so I installed a winch on my Rebel in case that happens to me. Keep on havin' fun!

antwon412

Reaction score
right on @antwon412 ! no harm in wheeling a rebel, but I'm with you on sliders, I'm ready for some too. What trail was that? I'm in NorCal and need to get out somewhere soon.

Nice sliders @Ryno_B79 , good work! What's your attachment point underneath?
That was up in the mountains by my in laws. Above Pioneer, CA. I was just following my FiL, I think it was the Omo Ranch exit. There’s tons of forestry trails up there. We just drove around and went up and down the mountains whenever we found a road. Some were dead ends, so we stopped and turned around after a while. No real plan.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha Ha It was taking too long. With the limited amount of time I have, I switched bacl to mig. I got called out on that quick! LOL
hahah i told you I'm a CWI man (certified weld inspector) through AWS. i better be able to spot the process someone used. either way, it looks good. i don't blame you for MIG'n it.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was up in the mountains by my in laws. Above Pioneer, CA. I was just following my FiL, I think it was the Omo Ranch exit. There’s tons of forestry trails up there. ...
Are you mapping with any apps for fire/trail roads?

in '19 I was doing the Gambler500 and used BackCountry Nav Pro, the other day I tried it to look for trails up by Twin Bridges but it was a fail (or I wasn't using the right map underlay.

Not a fan of Gaia or other subscriptions since I don't get to trail run often enough

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Love the pics with the story. I explore that part of the state also.

This one is up off of Hwy 88. Cat Creek Rd maybe. Had to find the wife a pit stop. Wife: "You're not taking my picture right now are you?:oops:" Me: "Nope.;)"
Off Hwy 88.jpg

This one is up by Indian Vly Resevoir off Hwy 20. Walker Ridge Rd. Great area for all vehicles. BLM land.
Indian Vly 2020.jpg

antwon412

Reaction score
Are you mapping with any apps for fire/trail roads?

in '19 I was doing the Gambler500 and used BackCountry Nav Pro, the other day I tried it to look for trails up by Twin Bridges but it was a fail (or I wasn't using the right map underlay.

Not a fan of Gaia or other subscriptions since I don't get to trail run often enough
I have a Garmin inReach tethered to an iPad mini. Setup in my Jeep. Haven’t really used it yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread