5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went up a size from 275/55/20 to 275/60/20. Should I recalibrate?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The first number is the width in millimeters. The second number is the aspect ratio which will give the sidewall height

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure this is true. It's a RATIO of width to height on the tire. The 275/60 actually has almost a 1" wider tread than a 275/55.
Go online to tirerack and compare. You'll see.
**EDIT**
Acutually there seems to be no rhyme or reason with actual tread width and the 275 designation. Some are wider than others.
The ratio actually comes from the 2nd number, i.e. sidewall is 55% of the size of the tread

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ratio actually comes from the 2nd number, i.e. sidewall is 55% of the size of the tread
Understood. But if you look at the tread width of a range of 275 tires you'll see it's all over the place. They're not all the same and I'm guessing that may have to do with whether the tire is more squared off or rounded.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Understood. But if you look at the tread width of a range of 275 tires you'll see it's all over the place. They're not all the same and I'm guessing that may have to do with whether the tire is more squared off or rounded.
Interesting, I do see what you mean. I see a difference of up to 1/2" on tire rack. I do know that some of the specs listed on tire rack for the wheels and tires that I purchased are different than what is listed on the manufacturer's websites, so I would definitely advise checking mfr numbers before purchase, if weight and tolerance are concerns.

frostymug

Reaction score
Got the recal done today, dealer did it for $135. I just want to reemphasize how important it is to build a good relationship with your service techs.. they did me right (usual dealer price is $185.)
Glad to have a properly reading speedo and shift points... All is right with the world again, lol.
Hey there, my new tires are the same exact size. On the truck, they don't measure 33" due to the weight and such. They are more like 32", but the dealer says the lowest setting they have is 33", so I'm worried that will result in my speedo being wrong the opposite way that it is now. Do you know if my your dealer programmed 33", or did they use a custom setting?

If you could possibly let me know tonight, that would be awesome! My truck is at the dealer overnight and I need to tell them in the morning if I want them to do it or not. Thanks!

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey there, my new tires are the same exact size. On the truck, they don't measure 33" due to the weight and such. They are more like 32", but the dealer says the lowest setting they have is 33", so I'm worried that will result in my speedo being wrong the opposite way that it is now. Do you know if my your dealer programmed 33", or did they use a custom setting?

If you could possibly let me know tonight, that would be awesome! My truck is at the dealer overnight and I need to tell them in the morning if I want them to do it or not. Thanks!

Hiya @frostymug
I only know that along with the recal they added the 275/60/20 tire size to the VIN and now my speedometer matches exactly my phone GPS speed so it’s spot on. Good luck

frostymug

Reaction score
Hiya @frostymug
I only know that along with the recal they added the 275/60/20 tire size to the VIN and now my speedometer matches exactly my phone GPS speed so it’s spot on. Good luck
Thanks! Any chance you can DM me the service ticket/receipt? Of course crossing out your personal info and VIN. My dealer just says they can only pick 33” so I’m trying to determine if they’re just not aware, or plain ignorant. If you have your receipt perhaps that can help them figure it out.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can you get all terrains in 275/60/20 for under $200 a piece?

frostymug

Reaction score
Thanks! Any chance you can DM me the service ticket/receipt? Of course crossing out your personal info and VIN. My dealer just says they can only pick 33” so I’m trying to determine if they’re just not aware, or plain ignorant. If you have your receipt perhaps that can help them figure it out.
Haha well there’s this other guy on this thread all proud that he figured out the truck self-calibrates and was telling everyone to save their money 😂. He has “proof” (Waze) and his truck is so smart it self calibrated on the first drive 😂😂.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score

C486CDCC-8F16-4DDD-8489-91EBE83061AF.jpeg

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
275/60/20 is a 1" taller tire, basically same width to 1/2" narrower then 275/55/20.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you get all terrains in 275/60/20 for under $200 a piece?
Yes. Hankook Dynapro AT2. They can be had for @$180 a piece. I just put them on my Limited. Did the chalk test yesterday. Front's 38psi Rear's 34psi.

jmcdtucson

Reaction score
What does everyone do about their spares? My stock spare is 31.5" diameter. I figure a bigger spare would be a good idea. Has anyone gotten something like a 275/70-18 (33.1") and put that on the existing 18" spare rim?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What does everyone do about their spares? My stock spare is 31.5" diameter. I figure a bigger spare would be a good idea. Has anyone gotten something like a 275/70-18 (33.1") and put that on the existing 18" spare rim?
Ha. I debated over this for a while. There really is no 18" tire you can put on that rim to match 33" diameter. You can get close with the 275/70 that you reference, but the tire is a good amount wider than the stock spare, which means it will stick down another 1/2" to 3/4" lower than the stock spare. You'll see it much easier. If you look at the stock spare it's right at the point where you can see it. I think putting a 275 back there it will stick out like a sore thumb.
I finally realized the best way to handle the offset size of the spare is just make sure that if you need to use the spare that you put it on the front and move a front tire to the rear if you need to. Also, don't engage 4wd while using it.
If you have the locking rear, then you have an open differential, which technically may allow offset tire sizes on the rear without issues, but I wouldn't want to test that.

Matt057

Reaction score
Haha well there’s this other guy on this thread all proud that he figured out the truck self-calibrates and was telling everyone to save their money 😂. He has “proof” (Waze) and his truck is so smart it self calibrated on the first drive 😂😂.
Go on...

Matt057

Reaction score
Anyone have 275/65/20's on stock suspension and wheels?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone have 275/65/20's on stock suspension and wheels?
Should work from what I remember. I did my level first so I can’t say for sure. Read some of these posts. They say no problem

Users who are viewing this thread