5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went up a size from 275/55/20 to 275/60/20. Should I recalibrate?

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering what the consensus is. Most opinions I’ve gotten is that it’s such a minimal difference in speed that it doesn’t justify the cost. I can live with 2-3mph difference. What do you guys who have gone up a tire size think?

Bearman95

Reaction score
It was 2.5 mph difference at 70 mph when I switched tires. Same size as you listed. I corrected with a taser dt . The shift points were off also until I corrected the speedometer.I have 2020 Laramie.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thx guys. Can I purchase and operate the Tazer DT with an iphone? I know that I can’t with alfa OBD.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you post a few pics with those tires?

Yamie700

Reaction score
I put 275/60/20 BFG K02s on mine. Stock was 285/45/22. When the speedo says 70mph my old garmin GPS showed 72. I didn't bother with recalibrating. Typically with stock tire sizes your speedo is always a little higher than actual speed, most car brands do that.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I switched to the same size as you and o haven’t recalibrated mine. I really want to but can’t get myself to pull the trigger on buying something to do it with

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I looked into getting the Tazer DT and the cheapest I found is $329. My dealership is going to do it for $150 tomorrow... that’s what I’m gonna do since a lot of the Tazer reviews show that many folks have had issues after plugging it in. I also honestly don’t want or need any of the other Tazer functions, just want the speedo recalibrated mainly for the shift points and MPG read outs.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bonuses by going to this tire size:
-Wider
-More Sidewall
-Bonus 1/2" lift off the ground
-Lower RPM's on highway
-Just makes the truck look more like a truck
-No lift/level required.

Cons
-Recalibrate Speedo ($$$)
-Hit on MPG especially around town
-Slightly harsher ride, especially if you don't air them down a little from stock psi

Last edited:

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the recal done today, dealer did it for $135. I just want to reemphasize how important it is to build a good relationship with your service techs.. they did me right (usual dealer price is $185.)
Glad to have a properly reading speedo and shift points... All is right with the world again, lol.

jmcdtucson

Reaction score
I just did this same thing and honestly can't tell the difference.
I was used to having the speedo off a couple mph at 70 in my Jeep anyway. And what does it matter if it shifts at 1 or 2 mph different spot?
For what it's worth, it's a diesel with the 3.92 gearing. Might pay the dealer at some point just for my OCD.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought about going wider, instead of taller not to make fuel mileage worse. Not sure what size tho.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bonuses by going to this tire size:
-Wider
-More Sidewall
-Bonus 1/2" lift off the ground
-Lower RPM's on highway
-Just makes the truck look more like a truck
-No lift/level required.

Cons
-Recalibrate Speedo ($$$)
-Hit on MPG especially around town
-Slightly harsher ride, especially if you don't air them down a little from stock psi
I believe if the OP went from a 275/55/20 to a 275/60/20, that it would still be the same width. The first number in a tire size indicates width, in this case 275 mm :unsure:

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe if the OP went from a 275/55/20 to a 275/60/20, that it would still be the same width. The first number in a tire size indicates width, in this case 275 mm :unsure:
Not sure this is true. It's a RATIO of width to height on the tire. The 275/60 actually has almost a 1" wider tread than a 275/55.
Go online to tirerack and compare. You'll see.
**EDIT**
Acutually there seems to be no rhyme or reason with actual tread width and the 275 designation. Some are wider than others.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread