5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well this was loose wtf

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Went to check my engine air filter to see if it needed to be changed. The duct popped right off the throttle body. The clamp wasn’t even tight either. Not sure how long it’s been that way. Hopefully it wasn’t sucking air in from there. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Anyone else had this happen?
9F91615C-E281-4F14-8764-65464CE9A53C.jpeg
B295A4C7-D7F0-4EAB-9554-A84327595EB2.jpeg

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks clean in there, you're probably okay. Have any work done at the dealership recently?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’ll be ok. Now those loose head studs on the other hand….

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is that where they pour in the oil? I always wondered:sneaky:
Must be where hyundai tells their techs to pour it in with all those oil issues their engines are having

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your truck wasn't throwing a code you're fine. If it was sucking air from there you'd have a lean condition and will have a code for a vacuum leak.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went to check my engine air filter to see if it needed to be changed. The duct popped right off the throttle body. The clamp wasn’t even tight either. Not sure how long it’s been that way. Hopefully it wasn’t sucking air in from there. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Anyone else had this happen?
View attachment 129138
View attachment 129139
Doubt you'll have any problems. Like your dog pictures!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Looks clean, doesn't take a lot of pressure to make a decent seal, however if you are worried, send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs after your next oil change to see if there is any issues noted, cost you about $30.

I heard of situations where they check the air filter and forget to put it back in. I always check my stuff after any service, even my Toyota. The RAM, I do that myself because I don't trust RAM or Stellantis dealerships.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Why would it have a lean condition? Or a vacuum leak?

I would think unmetered air getting past the air filter and sensor. Though I had a rather large strawberry sized hole on my E46 air tube right before the throttle body and it didn't throw a code. My mechanic was really surprised it didn't throw a code.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would think unmetered air getting past the air filter and sensor. Though I had a rather large strawberry sized hole on my E46 air tube right before the throttle body and it didn't throw a code. My mechanic was really surprised it didn't throw a code.
I had the same thing happen to me on my srt-4. I hit a new pavement bump that bent the front passenger side corner of the frame just enough that the outlet pipe of the intercooler eventually got a hole worn in it. I did everything from oil changes, trans and coolant flushes, and a timing belt without noticing. It wasn’t until I upgraded the turbo, intercooler, and piping did I notice the frame looked like it was slightly inside the hose. I pulled the inner fenderwell and noticed the small crease on the frame.
I guess point is (besides my liking to babble) that I went almost 4 years with that hose touching. Never noticed a power loss.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe if these trucks had MAF sensors to worry about, but Dodge uses speed density system with MAP and TPS. Unless air was getting in AFTER the throttle body, no vaccum leak, and no "unmetered" air. Just unfiltered air.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me on my srt-4. I hit a new pavement bump that bent the front passenger side corner of the frame just enough that the outlet pipe of the intercooler eventually got a hole worn in it. I did everything from oil changes, trans and coolant flushes, and a timing belt without noticing. It wasn’t until I upgraded the turbo, intercooler, and piping did I notice the frame looked like it was slightly inside the hose. I pulled the inner fenderwell and noticed the small crease on the frame.
I guess point is (besides my liking to babble) that I went almost 4 years with that hose touching. Never noticed a power loss.

That's interesting, not sure how sensitive it needs to be to set off a code. Looks like, at least for that generation of vehicles you need a much bigger air leak to set off a code.

I'm more worried about dirty air getting in the engine, sure the oil filter will get to it eventually, but maybe not before it slides over the pistons and piston walls.

On my older vehicles, I know use a mirror to look under the hoses and see if I can spot any cracks I can't see top side.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Maybe if these trucks had MAF sensors to worry about, but Dodge uses speed density system with MAP and TPS. Unless air was getting in AFTER the throttle body, no vaccum leak, and no "unmetered" air. Just unfiltered air.

That makes sense. Definitely need to pay special attention to our air hoses and tubing as our trucks get older.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are correct, for some reason I thought the temperature sensor on the intake was a MAF. Don't mind me, I did not stay at a holiday inn express last night.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought all modern engines that have direct injection used a maf sensor. Guess a k&n filter wouldnt be so bad after all. Learn something new everyday.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought all modern engines that have direct injection used a maf sensor. Guess a k&n filter wouldnt be so bad after all. Learn something new everyday.
Ram has direct injection?

Users who are viewing this thread