5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

well...no more Pedal Commander for me.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been running a Pedal Commander for about 2 years, second time it caused interference with ECM/BCM on the truck. Symptoms are, fire up truck, Check engine light comes on, along with messages, sercive throttle control, no park sense available, blah blah blah....get home, disconnect Pedal commander, plug in scantool, clear code. It was fun while it lasted, but not going to risk it actually doing damage at some point. I was warned on this forumn by someone when i first got it....should have listened :)

TheLegend

Reaction score
Been running a Pedal Commander for about 2 years, second time it caused interference with ECM/BCM on the truck. Symptoms are, fire up truck, Check engine light comes on, along with messages, sercive throttle control, no park sense available, blah blah blah....get home, disconnect Pedal commander, plug in scantool, clear code. It was fun while it lasted, but not going to risk it actually doing damage at some point. I was warned on this forumn by someone when i first got it....should have listened :)
I hate that happened but unfortunately I’ve heard lots of stories like this one with the Pedal Commander and the exact reason I went with the Banks Pedal Monster (which they claim) you’ll never receive codes and will not harm your truck in anyway. Well… maybe if you use it in the highest setting and burn your tires up lol. I have really liked mine and have had it for about 6 months no problems for me I’d recommend it if you still want something of that nature.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Going on a year and zero issues here. I’m wondering if some with problems are changing the setting while driving? Any input while actually on the gas and there will be issues. I pretty much set mine and forget it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going on a year and zero issues here. I’m wondering if some with problems are changing the setting while driving? Any input while actually on the gas and there will be issues. I pretty much set mine and forget it.
I mean.... he said no issues, fires up truck and has issues.

puba08

Reaction score
3 years not one issue. Don’t change it while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Or maybe there's something funky going on with that ODB2 connection.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Years ago, I purchased one of them "AFM defeat device" (cylinder deactivation), for a Silverado. Was getting weird messages, and weird shifting, but it did keep the truck from deactivating cylinders.
Long story short, was too good to be true, it fried the torque converter! I never told them about the device.
Messed bad with the CANBUS network.

Never know what kind of hidden damage these things are doing until its too late.

You probably made a good decision to stop usage.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I have learned similar lessons the same way whether it was with my Silverados or Rams.
I want so bad to do a tune on my 23 but I just don't want the concerns of problems down the road.
These truck as so complex now days even the dealers have trouble fixing them.
Tom

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have learned similar lessons the same way whether it was with my Silverados or Rams.
I want so bad to do a tune on my 23 but I just don't want the concerns of problems down the road.
These truck as so complex now days even the dealers have trouble fixing them.
Tom
A tune is not going to cause problems.
None of these problems are from people getting a tune on their truck.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
The only tune I might consider is a GDE, im not trying to get more power although that is a nice benefit just want the most efficient engine. I am older and retired but still travel an average of 1000 miles a week for my small business.
Tom

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just to be clear, I NEVER changed settings while driving. I have a theory that what causes the conflict has something to do with the putting the vehicle in "Tow/Haul" mode, and running a PC at the same time. The first time it happened was a little scary, it was in the middle of a cross country trip, I was pulling a T-Trailer, (@ #6500 ), climbing a moderate hill on freeway...suddenly "service throttle body", and complete lack of power..after a 2 second panic in my mind, envisioning a $5000.00 tow bill, it hit me...throttle body=Pedal commander....pulled to side of road, disconnected PC, all was well rest of trip. Now a second time, and the thing is, I throw it into "Tow" mode everytime I drive to defeat the AFM nonsense. Think I'll just leave it stock and put up with the slow pedal response....

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Three years and we haven't seen any issues with our PC.
@OldMarine ... use the shift buttons on the steering wheel to disable MDS instead of tow/haul when you aren't towing. It disables MDS but doesn't affect your transmission's shift pattern.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I have had the JMS PedalMAX on my Ram for 18+ months and have had ZERO problems. This includes towing the camper, tow/haul mode, etc. I can't imagine having to go back to stock. :(

UnclJim

Reaction score
Just had dash board light up
Service Electronic Stability
Park Sense Unavailable
numerous codes:p1c4e c10d0 p057c b0042-11 c0140
b0042-52 and a couple others remove PC tazer clear codes but they come right back

this happen with you?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just had dash board light up
Service Electronic Stability
Park Sense Unavailable
numerous codes:p1c4e c10d0 p057c b0042-11 c0140
b0042-52 and a couple others remove PC tazer clear codes but they come right back

this happen with you?
yes, exact same thing, happened twice....each time, I pulled out the PC harness, reconnected oem, and cleared codes. Codes, warning messages, and lights all stayed off. Everything back to normal.

UnclJim

Reaction score
yes, exact same thing, happened twice....each time, I pulled out the PC harness, reconnected oem, and cleared codes. Codes, warning messages, and lights all stayed off. Everything back to normal.
no such luck with me might not have been the PC in my case Was able to get appointment right away at dealer just waiting on call to go pick him up.

Loudram

Reaction score
I have the cheap 9-drive from Amazon. I set it and forgot I even have it. No issues here AND my truck is tuned.
Which one do you have? I have one sitting in my garage I took out of my '19 Classic when I traded it. I've been afraid to install it in this truck.

I just looked and I found this one for the 5th gen. The 4th gen isn't on this list and the 5th gen isn't on the list for my old one.

BY-J Throttle Response Controller, 9 Drive 9-Mode FLC-809 Universal Car Electronic Throttle controller, Compatible with RAM 1500/Wrangler JL/Gladiator JT/Titan Trucks https://a.co/d/0OM0KoJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread