5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird sound I can’t figure out

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a sound that has started in the last couple of weeks that myself and the mechanics have not been able to figure out yet. It’s a groaning sound that happens at any speed, sporadically. It doesn’t change pitch or volume with vehicle speed, though the sound does vary. It typically happens when very light on the throttle or just recently let off the throttle. It will make the noise down to almost a complete stop. When it’s making the sound, pressing the gas or brake has no impact on the sound. It’s coming from the front of the truck somewhere, but I can’t figure out where just yet. It sounds similar to brakes groaning, but it’s not related to hitting the brakes or vehicle speed and doesn’t change with speed like brakes would. There is nothing notably wrong with brakes or wheel bearings that we could identify, there is nothing leaking fluid that we have found. I’m at a loss. I have some chassis ears microphones coming tomorrow. Anybody have an idea on what this could be?

Here is a short video of the sound happening.

Edit: Using some chassis ears microphones I was able to narrow it down to my Pacbrake oil filter relocation kit (or something directly attached to it). Now I just need to figure out why it’s making the noise. It’s been on for months without issue, but now it intermittently makes that groaning noise.
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread