5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird AC recirculating air noise.

Wedgeajt

Reaction score
My dealer said it was because the passenger vent was closed and that they now all have sensors in them so the system knows when the vents are open or closed. I opened the vent and it still made the noise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

deanfx

Reaction score
I seriously don't understand why we can't get a straight answer on this issue. I am sure it's by design, but wouldn't it be cool if it were 2019 and RamCares could send an email to someone and confirm this issue is normal. SMH

shaveman

Reaction score
All indicators are that this is either a design feature or a design flaw. Either way, trying to get the dealer to fix it is pointless.

coffeyman76

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. I usually want to run the recirc but honestly almost have to in order to cut down on the crazy wind noise. Every 15 to 20 minutes you can hear it open the vents, car warms up and the wind/road noise increases. I've been cutting off and back on again but total pain. Dealer was no assistance. Ram Cares are you not able to get any feedback on this issue? I've never seen or heard of a vehicle doing this and for what reason, yet clearly it happens to many of us - if not all of us.

Landon G

Reaction score
Hearing the same thing.. problem or not i thought i was going mental first few time i heard it o_O

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
It does this without climate control in my truck as well. Must be by some kind of design, or flaw...? :D

Mlandman

Reaction score
It does this without climate control in my truck as well. Must be by some kind of design, or flaw...? :D
Mine does the same as well. 2020 ram 1500 big horn. Brought in for unrelated Wiper recall and asked about it. Guy says he hasn’t “written up” and complaints about A/C issues. When I described the issue (as all of your have above) he said he knows there is a design to flush the air and allow fresh air in. Pretty damn annoying though. I don’t want warm humid air coming in when it’s 95 degrees out and I have my ac on high.

doolin64

Reaction score
My Ram is too new for me to have experienced this. But I will tell you my Jeep Gladiator did the same thing. It's a common complaint with the Wrangler/Gladiator crowd as well. So it's clearly part of the systems design...but why? Why do know of the other manufacturers do this? In the Gladiator with small cabin, you have a the a/c cranking and the next thing you know the cabin is filling with humid air. Then it goes back to normal operation.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Mine does it. Brand new 2021 with manual climate control. I rarely run mine in recirc mode. It's doing this in non-recirc mode.

DonB69

Reaction score
The big question is IF.

Again, @RamCares, Lydia, I urge you to contact the technical people and find out once and for all if this is a design feature and why it is there. And if it is designed that way, encourage them to issue a TSB advising technicians of the fact so that the complaint can be explained and not just brushed aside as the ravings of a neurotic with "Unable to Duplicate."

Stop with the private message crap and send a PM yourself to someone in engineering or even training - just to someone who might have a firm answer one way or the other if this is a design feature. Even better would be to know why -- to flush the stale cabin air or to defrost the evaporator?
It's normal operation.

DonB69

Reaction score
Even though it's an old thread, I have this issue as well. It sounds like someone cracked a window on the highway sometimes with the rush of airflow.
It's normal operation and no big deal. I like the occasional rush of fresh air during a road trip. Old post or not it's quite alright to comment on it!

DonB69

Reaction score
Do you know this for a fact? Something you read in a service publication, or heard in a factory class? Or is it just speculation? Because it could just as easily be de-icing the evaporator.
The dealer that services my vehicle provided the info I have shared. Do you attend classes? LOL. It's just and introduction of fresh air into the cab. It's not defcon 4!!

J MO

Reaction score
Same here, I have a 2021 Lone Star, bought it 3 months ago. Traveled twice, over 300 miles and then noticed it happening, rush of humid air from the vents, so odd. I had to turn off and on A/C noble to fix it. So million dollar question, design or flaw?! Someone please help. Someone please find a good Point of Contact / illustration for reference.
I hate this feature if it's by design, I hate this feature more if it's flaw. COME ON RAM...

gwatt86

Reaction score
I started another thread about this, unaware this existed. It’s very annoying for those of us in Texas and other states where it’s 95+. Whenever I hear it, I quickly turn recirc off and then back on and I can hear seal up again and I’m good for another 20-30 minutes. I understand letting some fresh air in but when you’re driving 70 mph on the highway, it’s pretty loud and noticeable with that warmer air coming in. Not to mention, living in West Texas I get the cow smell coming in from time to time. Sure seems like it’s by design but if so, I would think there’s some documentation somewhere on this.

MurdaRam

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram does this occasionally. Doesn’t bother me even when it’s 100+ outside. My Freightliner work truck does it as well so I assume it’s normal operation.

Users who are viewing this thread