5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weight Limit Capacity

JCK_25

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know the "official" metrics but curious to know whether or not a 2019 Big Horn with a 5'7" bed can haul 2900lbs worth of patio pavers. My Dad has a 2014 Ram that he claims hauled 3000+ pounds of gravel and while I believe him, not sure it's advisable. Has anyone had any luck hauling a similar weight before?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can load whatever you want in the bed.

Note that steering is going to be affected. Braking is gonna be affected.
And maneuvering will be affected.
All adversely and may be dangerous.

This is why they make trailers.

Acceleration won't be affected so much, as the 5.7l Hemi used in HD trucks til 2018.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd borrow/rent a trailer. Remember you have to include yourself in the payload too, so that's a little more. I've gone way over capacity before I knew there was such a thing with about 2600# in a 1996 F150. Took back roads home and went very slow and it was still a bit unsettling.

JCK_25

Reaction score
You can load whatever you want in the bed.

Note that steering is going to be affected. Braking is gonna be affected.
And maneuvering will be affected.
All adversely and may be dangerous.

This is why they make trailers.

Acceleration won't be so much as the 5.7l Hemi used in HD trucks til 2018.
I anticipate taking things slowly. There will be two pallets (one on each truck). Any concerns to long-term affects to the suspension?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rent a trailer that can hold 6k pounds and be on your way. I did that recently, and it was easy to pull that trailer without trailer brakes.

Can it do it? Probably. Are you going to be happy on stock suspension? Not at all.

I regularly do around 2k (wet yard of dirt/pallet of sod), but I have the Timber Grove air bags that keep the wheel wells off my tires and they're trips of less than 10 miles under 40mph. I don't even want to think about 3k pounds on the stock suspension.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would go with renting a trailer from Uhaul as well. It's safer and you don't have to worry about any effects to you truck. Plus it looks nice towing a trailer behind you ;)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I anticipate taking things slowly. There will be two pallets (one on each truck). Any concerns to long-term affects to the suspension?

IF...you can get the pallet loaded to the front of the bed near the cab....maybe not.

IF they load it right over the axle...probably not.

IF they load it at the back by the tailgate...it technically counts as tongue weight and you could have some issues. TW capacity is 1100 to 1300 depending in who you ask.

2900lbs is probably nearly twice your payload.

Say we believe the wise tale that you have 8000lbs GVWR. And you got an avg payload...so your truck weighs 5600lbs. So 2400lbs til you get to this magical number. Your 500lbs more. Plus you do not have a driver yet.

So. This sounding like a good idea so far?

5600...means you got 2240 lbs on the rear axle already. 4100 gross rating. Your at 5140...at 1040 lbs over axle rating...still sound like a good idea

But people claim they do it every day

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
You literally will be almost doubling your payload, you’ll be exceeding your gross axle rating, and you’ll possibly even be exceeding the load limits of your tires and wheels. 2900lbs in the bed is even more than most 3/4 ton trucks can handle. That’s a 1 ton truck’s job. Just rent a trailer.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
IF...you can get the pallet loaded to the front of the bed near the cab....maybe not.

IF they load it right over the axle...probably not.

IF they load it at the back by the tailgate...it technically counts as tongue weight and you could have some issues. TW capacity is 1100 to 1300 depending in who you ask.

2900lbs is probably nearly twice your payload.

Say we believe the wise tale that you have 8000lbs GVWR. And you got an avg payload...so your truck weighs 5600lbs. So 2400lbs til you get to this magical number. Your 500lbs more. Plus you do not have a driver yet.

So. This sounding like a good idea so far?

5600...means you got 2240 lbs on the rear axle already. 4100 gross rating. Your at 5140...at 1040 lbs over axle rating...still sound like a good idea

But people claim they do it every day
These trucks have a max gvwr of 7100, so that puts his payload at 1500!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I say go for it. We need another good picture of a broken truck on this forum...it's been a slow day for entertainment. :D

JCK_25

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for confirming what my gut was saying. Convinced my Dad to just rent a trailer and avoid any potential issues for the both of us

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for confirming what my gut was saying. Convinced my Dad to just rent a trailer and avoid any potential issues for the both of us

No joke I recently did what you're thinking about. Bought 2 pallets of retaining wall blocks at ~3000 pounds per pallet. If they have a forklift that can get it on the trailer correctly you'll have no problems with both pallets on a trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread