5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weighed my camper for the first time

TSL

Reaction score
Hi all.
We have a popup / tent trailer we picked up last winter. Finally got it out for a short "maiden voyage" this past weekend to a local campground about an hour away.
My previous towing experience is with a small 8x5 utility trailer, so while this thing ( see picture attached ) is small compared to what many of you on here tow, it's by far the largest trailer I've towed.
Closed up it's 21 feet long and the loading sticker on it indicates 4400 lb GVWR and 1348 lbs cargo max.
There was a highway scale on the road so I stopped and weighed it. This was NOT a CAT scale, but an Oregon Dept of Transport maintained road side scale.
I weighed each of the three axles, then unhooked the trailer and weighed the truck again. Here's what I got :

With trailer : Front axle = 3450
Rear axle = 4350
Camper axle = 3200

Without Trailer : Front Axle = 3700
Rear Axle = 3500
If I'm doing the math right ( please correct me if I'm not ), my gross combined weight = 3450 + 4350 + 3200 = 11000
While my truck only weight = 3700 + 3500 = 7200
So my trailer weighed 11000 - 7200 = 3800 as loaded that day

Also, I think my tongue weight was Truck weight with camper ( 3450 + 4350 = 7800 ) - Truck weight without camper ( 3700 + 3500 = 7200 ) = 600

And 600 out of 3800 = 15.8%

Which I think is a little on the heavy side for tongue weight ?

You can see from the picture that the camper has a front deck so it's going to tend to be tongue-heavy I would think. We did not have a whole lot of stuff on the deck : 3 bicycles, a wheelbarrow of firewood and 4 camping chairs, and a few 12" lengths of 2x8's for leveling blocks ( which it turned out we didn't need, had a perfectly level site !) This camper does have a 35 gallon fresh water tank that sits forward of the axle. We did have it about half full on this trip. Didn't really need it, but partly wanted to test what it was like pulling it with water in the tank. The four of us in the family were in the truck while weighing and we had about a 3/4 tank of diesel.

Interested in any input on these numbers. I wonder should I be thinking about a weight distribution hitch ? Especially if I put much more stuff on that deck.
Also, that RSI SmartCap I have on the truck weighs around 200lbs, and I have a slide out kitchen drawer I built myself in the bed. I don't know what it weighs exactly, but I will say that it is not light !
I have ~ 1400lbs of payload on the truck per the tire and loading sticker. ( 1398 to be exact ). If I do in fact have 600lbs of tongue weight I'm pretty sure I do not have very much payload left ( if any ) when I add everything else up ( passengers, Smartcap, contents of the bed etc )

I found that the truck seemed to handle fine. It dropped to 6th gear on the hills, we climbed up from ~ 200feet to > 1000 feet elevation. My mpg dropped from ~ 24 typically for such a trip to just about 17mpg. (Reminder : I'm in the ecodiesel ! ) I kept the speed mostly in the 50 to 55mph range, occasionally up to 60.

Attachments

• 20240519_143823.jpg
    20240519_143823.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240519_083224.jpg
    20240519_083224.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 39

irishwake63

Reaction score
that doesnt seem right for tongue weight for that trailer I have lifted popups by myself before in noo way could I lift 600 lbs lol I would say more like 200 lbs

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
edit: see post below.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is your truck loaded to camp? Cause you are at GVWR before the trailer!

So, you saying you pulled the axle onto the scale and then off the scale to the next axle and then off the scale to the camper axle? (Like some people have done at grain scales)

Or did you pull the combination onto the scale and got 3 axle readings? (Like you would at a CAT scale)

I ask because you are over GVWR and Rear GAWR. And losing 250 lbs off your drive axle will cause some steering and braking issues.

Otherwise, your math is right!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

TSL

Reaction score
My intent was to weigh each axle individually. The scale was physically just a tiny bit longer than the wheel base of my truck. Do I know for sure that I only ever had one axle on the scale at a time? No, I couldn't swear to that ! For example, might I have had the truck rear axle on the scale and the front axle not completely off the scale ? It's possible there was some operator error in the measurements. I will measure again when I get a chance. There is CAT scale at a truck stop about 45 to 50 mins from my house. I will take a trip over there when I get a chance and see what reading I get.
We were on our way home from camping for the measurements posted above, so yes, truck was carrying camping gear + passengers

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are real close to being fine. The only thing worrying me is being over Rear Gross Axle Rating.

Losing the weight off the front axle is not much, But not something to look past either. Dry conditions, normal stopping, fine all day. Wet conditions, emergency stopping with need to turn, not ideal.

Overall, I would not hesitate to go on like 90% of the people out there camping.

irishwake63

Reaction score
you should be fine to tow a popup as you can even tow one of those in a Jeep Wrangler

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/