5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weep holes in resonators? Please explain.

shktrk

Reaction score
Where are they?
What do they do?
Why plug them?

MartyZ

Reaction score
The weep holes are generally for allowing condensation that is built up in the exhaust system during normal operation to leak out of the holes so that you don't get water built up in the pipe. Not sure why you would want to plug them, they serve a purpose.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As they serve a purpose. Many with bolt on mufflers hear a leaky exhaust noise out of them. As I have, then taped them off to test. It cleans up the sound/residence echo under truck for me very well. So the region in live, materials it’s made of and enjoying the hemi at times “blowing out” most of water build up. I’m not concerned about rotting out. So when I have time will be closing them off permanently. E11EF5CF-E0F1-4307-AB2B-433BCE67BB86.jpeg 6D89AAB4-0C4B-4ACB-AE0B-C2C9E4F9228B.jpeg
Here’s pics of the location on drivers side. Doesn’t hurt to tape them up and try it. It’s all in your own perspective. You notice a difference or you don’t.

paxton306

Reaction score
each rear resonator has 4 holes, 2 on the front and 2 on the rear of each resonator. plugging them up after a muffler install really cleans up the exhaust note alot by eliminating the "air" sound you will get.

mpurkey

Reaction score
each rear resonator has 4 holes, 2 on the front and 2 on the rear of each resonator. plugging them up after a muffler install really cleans up the exhaust note alot by eliminating the "air" sound you will get.
Had a borla muffler installed and the weep holes made it sound like crap.... took it back to the shop and they welded the holes closed... MUCH better sound. I think with the added air flow and higher temps There is little concern for corrosion. If they do then I’ll just remove...

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^right on. I finally got to them. Closed them down, super easy to do imo. Used a 3/8ths extension and a small hammer closed them down. At that time also adjusted the tips. As one was leaking at the clamp point. Nice and clean now, no more echo/added noise under the truck.

kipeharris

Reaction score
Had a borla muffler installed and the weep holes made it sound like crap.... took it back to the shop and they welded the holes closed... MUCH better sound. I think with the added air flow and higher temps There is little concern for corrosion. If they do then I’ll just remove...
What Borla Muffler do you have? I have a ProXS sitting in my garage and debating on what I want to do with the resonators.

Jwb473

Reaction score
100% agree! I installed a bolt on Carven kit and those weep holes were creating an awful spitting sound....plugged them up last night and WOW does it sound better. If they crater, I'll just put straight pipes.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ that’s what I did to a point. Agree with what you said on resonators. I smashed them in and sealed them off. Night to day difference

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm want to do mine too, thinking about to use J-B weld highheat putty, does this stuff work to plug the holes?

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Has anyone done this in a 4th Gen? Or is their resonator/exhaust set up different? My brother's 2018 Sport doesn't have this res spitting sound at all. He also went to bigger pipes from cat back so maybe that has something to do with it?

rlc2020

Reaction score
Wow, I hadn't realized there were holes in the resonators. I like the sound since I did the muffler delete, but I'm going to do this and see how it comes out. I thought the "puffy" sound was just a characteristic of the hemi

Chris71704

Reaction score
I am thinking about ordering the B2 muffler and possibly leaving the rear resonators. has anyone had problems with it in cold temps? I saw a review somewhere that the holes allow moisture to escape. I am new to this so worry that if I plus the holes, I will have issues in the Winter here in Vermont. Any advise?

Last edited:

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I am thinking about ordering the B2 muffler and doing leaving the rear resonators but does has anyone had problems with it in cold temps? I saw a review somewhere that the holes allow moisture to escape. I am new to this so worry that if I plus the holes, I will have issues in the Winter here in Vermont. Any advise?
I had a Magnaflow muffler installed and I didn't like the sound with the weep holes open. Put some tape over them and it cleaned it up a lot, but didn't hold up well. I took it back to the shop that installed my muffler and they welded them for me in about 5 min. I figure I'll be pulling the trigger on a cat back before I have any issues with the rear resonators anyway.

Last edited:

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a Magnaflow muffler installed and I didn't like the sound with the weep holes open. Put some tape over them and it cleaned it up a lot, but did hold up well. I took it back to the shop that installed my muffler and they welded them for me in about 5 min. I figure I'll be pulling the trigger on a cat back before I have any issues with the rear resonators anyway.

Same here with Magnaflow muffler installed and for sure you will hear the airy sound whenever it next to the wall, did JB HighHeat Epoxy and it clean up the sound, made me burn more rubber.

Users who are viewing this thread