5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week old Limited - random thoughts

gmab

Reaction score
I picked up my custom order Limited 1-week ago. The first truck I ordered came in wrong so the dealer reordered another one. As it turns out I'm really glad it went down that way. Reason being my 1st color choice was Patriot Blue and when I ordered the 1st time around that color wasn't available so I went with Maximum Steel. 2nd time the PB color opened up again and that's what I ended up with.

Dealer experience was really great. No deposit for ordering, kept me in the loop with weekly status or whenever I texted them, absolutely no pressure wrt to extended warranties or other add-on's. Actual purchase was breeze and no issues going through the online checklist, testing driving, etc.

After the 1st week;
Favorite feature: Adaptive cruise with stop n' go.

Least favorite: Interior lighting specifically the gauge cluster.
- Daylight when headlights are off, it just has non adjustable full (100%) brightness. I'm ok with this.
- Auto headlights come on and the gauge cluster dims. The rotatory dial seems to from 0% to 40% or 100%. Obviously 100% is way too bright and the 40% isn't bright enough. Why can't the rotatory dial go from 0 to 100?
- The 2 amber lights for the shift (P-R-N-D) and drive (2WD, 4WD, etc) indicators bug me because of their brightness at night. Unfortunately they don't dim.
- It's nice to be able to control the 12" screen independently.

Wish it had: Keypad entry.
I swim/bike/run and don't like to carry the fob with me. Current solution is to put the fob in a RF shield bag and place inside the rambox. Keep the key on me or in a hitch safe and use it to open the rambox. This way the alarm doesn't go off. If I left it in the cab then horn/lights blare every time you use the key.

Other:
Just some random thoughts that surprised me based on some of the forum threads.

ECO mode; I have the indicator enabled and my ECO light comes on all the time. If I'm going downhill or maintain speed on the flats the light comes on. I believe this enables MDS mode that some folks don't like but I really can not tell the difference. I don't hear or feel anything when this light goes on/off.

CarPlay and Built in Navigation; I have an iPhone and I think I'm in the minority as I don't care for CarPlay. I have it disabled. Found it interesting that the car relies on SIRI so much. I can't seem to use the prescripted text prompts as it directs me to SIRI.
The built in Nav seems to work ok. I'm able to voice search addresses, restaurants, POI, etc without too much difficulty. Is it as good SIRI, Alexa, etc....nope, but works better than my last car. So far, routing is spot on for my area.

Uconnect App (Unlock, Lock, Start, etc.) has worked for me every time. With that said I haven't left the car idle for 3 days at the airport and tried a remote start. Bummer there is no vehicle health stats.

MPG: Haven't had enough time on it but did drive 2 hrs on freeway and trip (lie-o-meter?) was 18.8mpg.

That's all for now. Still new for me so I'm sure I haven't discovered all the gremlins and nuances yet.
Finally, thanks to everyone for posting, answering questions, and being part of the community.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wish it had: Keypad entry.
I swim/bike/run and don't like to carry the fob with me. Current solution is to put the fob in a RF shield bag and place inside the rambox. Keep the key on me or in a hitch safe and use it to open the rambox. This way the alarm doesn't go off. If I left it in the cab then horn/lights blare every time you use the key.
Nice write-up on initial impressions!

Quick question: Do you strap on your phone when you swim/bike/run? If so, you can use your mobile app to unlock the truck—as you yourself pointed out. I'm asking because I carry my fob at the gym, and I've also considered whether there's a 'better way'.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is another option to make up from the lack of keypad. Check into CompuStar RPS Touch
This would require a Compustar Alarm or bypass but it's doable. I am considering it along with a better option to start from Phone/Watch because UConnect is slow and not as reliable as DroneMobile or Viper SmartStart.

gmab

Reaction score
Nice write-up on initial impressions!

Quick question: Do you strap on your phone when you swim/bike/run? If so, you can use your mobile app to unlock the truck—as you yourself pointed out. I'm asking because I carry my fob at the gym, and I've also considered whether there's a 'better way'.
I usually do have a phone unless I’m racing or in the water.

I’m a bit wary about the reliability of Uconnect. So far so good but I need more time before I trust locking my fob in the car.

mkel2010

Reaction score
Found it interesting that the car relies on SIRI so much. I can't seem to use the prescripted text prompts as it directs me to SIRI.

I had this problem initially until I realized I was holding down the button for too long and it defaulted to Siri. Try just a quick press and see if that lets you use the Uconnect voice commands instead of Siri. If you're looking to send preset replies to text messages, you can't do that with the iPhone as IOS doesn't allow for it.

gmab

Reaction score
I had this problem initially until I realized I was holding down the button for too long and it defaulted to Siri. Try just a quick press and see if that lets you use the Uconnect voice commands instead of Siri. If you're looking to send preset replies to text messages, you can't do that with the iPhone as IOS doesn't allow for it.
Thanks.
I did notice the difference in how long you press the VR button. I think I had a brain fart on iPhone's accepting external requests to text messaging.

mkel2010

Reaction score
Thanks.
I did notice the difference in how long you press the VR button. I think I had a brain fart on iPhone's accepting external requests to text messaging.
You can still use Siri to send text messages, just not the pre-configured ones. Just tell Siri who you want to send the text to and she will prompt for what you want to say.

gmab

Reaction score
Another possible option for access without taking the key with you: https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS7000T-HS7000-Key-Vault-x/dp/B000I66JEM
I haven't verified that it prevents the truck from recognizing the key fob while it's locked up, but it's a metal box, so it should do the job.
I've had one of these for almost 15 years.
The fob does fit in the safe but I'm able to open the doors 20% of the time. So, right now I put the fob in a faraday pouch and place it in the rambox. The key goes in the safe or I carry it with me.
The car alarm triggers when using a key to open the door. This is the reason I'm putting the fob in the rambox so I don't trip the alarm.

I'd so prefer a keypad but the above is a solution I can live with.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome. Agree with the dimming/brightness of interior lighting. For your amber lights you can try a dark yellow or amber permanent marker to darken the lens. If you don’t like it, it’s easy enough to remove.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 90 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

gmab

Reaction score
Welcome. Agree with the dimming/brightness of interior lighting. For your amber lights you can try a dark yellow or amber permanent marker to darken the lens. If you don’t like it, it’s easy enough to remove.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 90 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Good idea to try and dim the amber, I’ll have to give that a try.

Already submitted the Bonus Drive and they confirmed everything a few days later. I’m sure it’ll be a few weeks before check goes in the mail.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
....Wish it had: Keypad entry.

or you can also make a spare "entry key" at ur local hardware store for a buck, its A LOT more lower profile than FOB, and when you exit, just lock the door with the key. It will let you lock/unlock with key with no horns/lights, as long as u didn't lock with keyfob. I think u can ALSO hit the button, and unlock with key, but i tried it several ways and got confused on what scenerio that works same time/everytime, sometimes i was SURE i locked with button, unlocked with key and it worked with no horn going off, but sometimes it didn't... Don't know if its truck or ME on that one (prolly me...lol)
: ) : )

Users who are viewing this thread