5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Get Some Time With The New Ram Multifunction Tailgate:

cwelect1

Reaction score
Can you swap out a regular tailgate with the MFT if ramboxes are already installed? All the Limiteds near me with Black Appearance package have regular tailgates and I was thinking of asking the dealer to install an MFT if possible.

JustMe

Reaction score
My guess is MFT is becoming a bit of a problem for FCA. First, it requires RamBox to have adequate bed sidewall strength to handle the MFT weight. Otherwise, they add an awkward brace with is an additional cost to them.

And they are having a problem with either the production or cost of the bed step for the MFT which is shown in all the MFT videos, including the current one on their website.

While a $1000 is expensive to the buyer, given the limited volume and these other issues, FCA is possibly loosing money on it anyway. It would be very hard to quantify if MFT is the feature that caused buyers to chose a Ram, especially with its limited availability and the Ram's many other features (top draw styling inside and out, 4-link rear suspension, 4-corner air suspension, RamBox)
I don't believe your guess regarding RamBox requirement is accurate . . . I've seen a number of MFT's without, on video while searching for IT on a QUAD Cab (6ft-4in bed) . The Same Strengthening Frame is fully capable of supporting the doors, at least on a 5ft-7in bed . . . so I can't see why an additional 7-inches would make a big difference (well maybe in my girlfriends fantasies). I believe RAM is "PUSHING" the Sales of the Crew Cabs as it is a bigger money maker for them .
I can't get the MFT WITH the RamBox cause it would eliminate my being able to get the RSI SmartCap ! That is my #1 priority, though due to very touchy back issues, the MFT's are a close 2nd . Much more Functionality . . . especially the 60% side - think JL rear door with drop down table !
When all is said and done . . . not there yet . . . I could persuade myself to get a JLU but then need to spend an additional ~$5K MORE, for an URSA MINOR Topper ( ~$9K), IF they EVER get it to market . . . already been nearly 2 years since they 1st advertised it . Apparently the JK version won't work !? That's all I got . . . . . . .

COWBOY CADILLAC

Reaction score
I have the new tailgate but want to order the 'STEP' that was announced with it. Does anyone know how to accomplish this. Have contacted Customer Care, this was useless. Sent two certified letters to Mr. Reid Bigland, this was also useless; no response. Sent one certified to Mr. Mike Manley, this was also useless; no response. Just want to know how to order it... Have bugged the heck out of my dealer first and they do not have a part number and indicated it may be a year before Chrysler post it...

Update: 9/11/2019
Received a call from Mike Manley office; he indicated that the step would not be available until Fed 2020 from Mopar; will have to wait. Of course not very happy......
Bed Step
Part Number: 82215289AG

thrillracing

Reaction score
What’s weird is no MFT with Hydro Blue, major bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsmonline

Reaction score
Bed Step
Part Number: 82215289AG

Part number quoted is the wrong bed step for the MFT, it is the corner step used for a normal tailgate. We still have not seen a center mounted bed step for a MFT as initially shown in FCA marketing material. Having lived with the MFT for a few months, not sure I will need/want the step if and when it does become available, seems it is just as easy to step onto the bumper at the license plate cutout.

COWBOY CADILLAC

Reaction score
Part number quoted is the wrong bed step for the MFT, it is the corner step used for a normal tailgate. We still have not seen a center mounted bed step for a MFT as initially shown in FCA marketing material. Having lived with the MFT for a few months, not sure I will need/want the step if and when it does become available, seems it is just as easy to step onto the bumper at the license plate cutout.
The corner step was a factory option with the multi function tailgate and works well when you use it in the normal tailgate mode.

dsmonline

Reaction score
The corner step was a factory option with the multi function tailgate and works well when you use it in the normal tailgate mode.

It might have been included in the description of the BUG option at some point early on as the ordering system was somewhat messed up early with the 2020s. I know at the time of my order last October, I could not factory order the corner step. Once we tried to add it, it would delete when we added the MFT. Our investigation into it at the time with FCA indicated there was no way to have the side step factory installed with the MFT, however the side step could be dealer ordered and installed after delivery if we wanted (and still can). I was also aware that the original side step became unavailable for a period of time due to a safety issue and became available later on with a slightly different design and part number. I choose not to put a side step on my truck and doubt I will add the center step once it becomes available, the center step on the bumper works just fine.

So question for those of us with the MFT, was anyone able to factory order the side step factory installed, as all I have heard here on the forum is having it installed after the fact at the dealer?

COWBOY CADILLAC

Reaction score
It might have been included in the description of the BUG option at some point early on as the ordering system was somewhat messed up early with the 2020s. I know at the time of my order last October, I could not factory order the corner step. Once we tried to add it, it would delete when we added the MFT. Our investigation into it at the time with FCA indicated there was no way to have the side step factory installed with the MFT, however the side step could be dealer ordered and installed after delivery if we wanted (and still can). I was also aware that the original side step became unavailable for a period of time due to a safety issue and became available later on with a slightly different design and part number. I choose not to put a side step on my truck and doubt I will add the center step once it becomes available, the center step on the bumper works just fine.

So question for those of us with the MFT, was anyone able to factory order the side step factory installed, as all I have heard here on the forum is having it installed after the fact at the dealer?
Actually I was talking about the 2019 model year, I didn't notice you had a 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread