5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Get Some Time With The New Ram Multifunction Tailgate:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We recently got to spend some time with the new Ram Multifunction Tailgate. What were our thoughts? See the article below.

DJI_0119.JPG

diddydog

Reaction score
I have the new tailgate but want to order the 'STEP' that was announced with it. Does anyone know how to accomplish this. Have contacted Customer Care, this was useless. Sent two certified letters to Mr. Reid Bigland, this was also useless; no response. Sent one certified to Mr. Mike Manley, this was also useless; no response. Just want to know how to order it... Have bugged the heck out of my dealer first and they do not have a part number and indicated it may be a year before Chrysler post it...

Update: 9/11/2019
Received a call from Mike Manley office; he indicated that the step would not be available until Fed 2020 from Mopar; will have to wait. Of course not very happy......

Last edited:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the new tailgate but want to order the 'STEP' that was announced with it. Does anyone know how to accomplish this. Have contacted Customer Care, this was useless. Sent two certified letters to Mr. Reid Bigland, this was also useless; no response. Sent one certified to Mr. Mike Manley, this was also useless; no response. Just want to know how to order it... Have bugged the heck out of my dealer first and they do not have a part number and indicated it may be a year before Chrysler post it...

According to our Mopar rep, it won't be available till the fourth-quarter of this year.

heydre

Reaction score
Where am I going to sit with my beer or a lunch?

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
Im not too excited about it however my use of the truck is not allowing me to-see the benefit. I am sure for someone who has different use this would be handy. Just not for me.

saxapl

Reaction score
In just the short time I have had with it I will tell you it would be hard to go back. Definitely a plus for me with a topper as I can reach further and get into the Decked drawers better. Without the topper, it no doubt makes getting up into the bed a snap.

Attachments

• 8EAA3179-C295-4C38-86F7-A4ECDE2892A0.jpeg
    8EAA3179-C295-4C38-86F7-A4ECDE2892A0.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 1,025

clu51

Reaction score
In just the short time I have had with it I will tell you it would be hard to go back. Definitely a plus for me with a topper as I can reach further and get into the Decked drawers better. Without the topper, it no doubt makes getting up into the bed a snap.
What brand is your topper? and does it seal up nice with the tail gate for dust?

saxapl

Reaction score
What brand is your topper? and does it seal up nice with the tail gate for dust?

ARE.

No. But not the topper’s fault. There is a gap between the barn doors of the tailgate. I intend to get a seal for the gap but I’ve not done so yet.

DrAudio

Reaction score
ARE.

No. But not the topper’s fault. There is a gap between the barn doors of the tailgate. I intend to get a seal for the gap but I’ve not done so yet.

Crap. I’m disappointed to hear that about the barn door gap. My truck should be here soon with those doors and I ordered a diamondback cover. I was hoping to achieve a water and dust tight seal. Any thoughts about how well it could possibly seal if you add extra gasket someway?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Crap. I’m disappointed to hear that about the barn door gap. My truck should be here soon with those doors and I ordered a diamondback cover. I was hoping to achieve a water and dust tight seal. Any thoughts about how well it could possibly seal if you add extra gasket someway?

Which Diamondback cover did you order?

DavidNJ

Reaction score

It reminds me of the dutch doors at the back of the Ford Excursion. They were someone's idea of an alternative to a tailgate with rolldown window and panel doors. They were ridiculous. The doors were in the way when connected to a trailer and the raised window next to impossible to reach. Meanwhile, liftgates were just being introduced which revolutiuonized SUV rear openings.

FCA needs to make a Ram SUV, no third-row necessary, with a liftgate. And increase GVWR to the Suburban 2500's 8600#. :cry: They can't even get the trailer mirrors from the 2500 (surround camera, rear-facing cameras, power adjustment for both top and bottom mirrors, heated, and power-folding) on the 1500.:cry:

8eaa3179-c295-4c38-86f7-a4ecde2892a0-jpeg.34480
00114051990003.jpg

flynfish

Reaction score
Mine has it and I wasn’t really looking to get one with it... but it’s actually pretty nice. I’ve had a cooler back there and it makes it super easy to get right to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DrAudio

Reaction score
Which Diamondback cover did you order?

They ended up canceling my order because I contacted them to make them aware of the structural braces in the bed of the non Rambox model and asked if it would interfere with the locking mechanism. They thought that it might and wanted to get their hands on one to test first before shipping. They may need to redesign the latch for my model.

Last edited:

DavidNJ

Reaction score
They ended up canceling my order but I contacted them to make them aware of the structural braces in the bed of the non Rambox model and asked if it would interfere with the locking mechanism. They thought that it might and wanted to get their hands on one to test first before shipping. They may need to redesign the latch for my model.

I am planning on a RamBox and they were one of the few RamBox solutions. And RamBox doesn't have the brace. Mounting on top also gives lots of options and they have a rack that can mount on the cover. The RamBox model, which clamps to the existing RamBox utility track in the slot, is relatively easily removable. Four bolts. On the scale of removing and storing the third-row seat on my Suburban (actually Yukon XL 2500.)

It should work particularly well with the multifunction tailgate.

14352683012_f63533126f_z.jpg

DrAudio

Reaction score
I am planning on a RamBox and they were one of the few RamBox solutions. And RamBox doesn't have the brace. Mounting on top also gives lots of options and they have a rack that can mount on the cover. The RamBox model, which clamps to the existing RamBox utility track in the slot, is relatively easily removable. Four bolts. On the scale of removing and storing the third-row seat on my Suburban (actually Yukon XL 2500.)

It should work particularly well with the multifunction tailgate.

14352683012_f63533126f_z.jpg

Yeah the options of carrying a load was big for me. I’m planning on mounting a roof top tent on mine.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
Where am I going to sit with my beer or a lunch?
I believe there is a latch or some mechanism to enable the multi-function gate such that it can still pull down as a single unit like a normal gate. I won't be going into the bed often enough to need it and I like the look of an unbroken single piece, so I will pass for now. Were the truck I intend to buy more for work than play, I would likely get it though having seen the video of it in use. The bumper section near the license plate can be used as a step with the sides of the gate acting as railings to help stepping into the bed from the ground. It seems to work better than I expected. The GM gate looks interesting, but seeing both, I think the Ram multi-function gate has a slight edge in overall usefulness.

heydre

Reaction score
I believe there is a latch or some mechanism to enable the multi-function gate such that it can still pull down as a single unit like a normal gate. I won't be going into the bed often enough to need it and I like the look of an unbroken single piece, so I will pass for now. Were the truck I intend to buy more for work than play, I would likely get it though having seen the video of it in use. The bumper section near the license plate can be used as a step with the sides of the gate acting as railings to help stepping into the bed from the ground. It seems to work better than I expected. The GM gate looks interesting, but seeing both, I think the Ram multi-function gate has a slight edge in overall usefulness.

They thought of it all (y)

JustMe

Reaction score
It reminds me of the dutch doors at the back of the Ford Excursion. They were someone's idea of an alternative to a tailgate with rolldown window and panel doors. They were ridiculous. The doors were in the way when connected to a trailer and the raised window next to impossible to reach. Meanwhile, liftgates were just being introduced which revolutiuonized SUV rear openings.

FCA needs to make a Ram SUV, no third-row necessary, with a liftgate. And increase GVWR to the Suburban 2500's 8600#. :cry: They can't even get the trailer mirrors from the 2500 (surround camera, rear-facing cameras, power adjustment for both top and bottom mirrors, heated, and power-folding) on the 1500.:cry:

8eaa3179-c295-4c38-86f7-a4ecde2892a0-jpeg.34480
00114051990003.jpg
FCA is working on that right now for a Late 2020 (?) 2021MY JEEP Wagoneer & Grand Wagoneer, but no one knows if they will offer the barn doors ? It is based off the RAM 1500 Platform though, and they are Jeeps, so they WILL be Off Road worthy with one of each hopefully being 'TrailHawks' !? I'm hoping they do not come standard with airbag suspensions . I'm considering a longer wait on a 1500 . . . either as a RAM DT or "framed" 1500 JEEP ? No more dealing with CAP fit-n-finish, no more having to get out of the Front to access the rear . . . sounds good to me !
Yours is the 1st I've seen without the "saddle-bags" fenders . My continuing beef is the Lack of Quad Cab Availability &/or not being Tied Into having to get 2K+ MORE in additional Options I DON'T want or need in order to just have the barn doors . . . as Originally Advertised ($995) !

JustMe

Reaction score
We recently got to spend some time with the new Ram Multifunction Tailgate. What were our thoughts? See the article below.

View attachment 34309

Went back about 7 pages and couldn't find an answer . . . if this is redundant I'm sorry, but. As ORIGINALLY* reported in various outlets and I believe at one of the car shows (video clips too) that this new MFT would be a STAND ALONE ITEM (~$995), offered across all models, both in Crew, and QUAD (?) with or with out RamBox ! I've yet to see on the website Build & Price, the ability to select - on a Laramie QUAD 6'4" bed WITHOUT RamBox - the MFT; AS A STAND ALONE ITEM* !
My build/price - Laramie Quad V6, std. bed at 6'4" w/2 tone paint, CC, ORP, and that's about all I can muster paying for ! BUT FCA/RAM now wants to FORCE Package #1 or #2 and some other crap, just to get the MFT ! These Packages for the Laramie are $$$$, as compared to the packages on a Big Horn, but it doesn't come with the "better" LED lighting or offers a 2 tone paint job or leather !
Can't do that ! Not to be coy or smug, and I certainly am NO FAN of Honda, but the New Ridgeline has a (single) Barn door . . . which would suffice my wants/desires ! The Off Road prowess not so much ! Any intel on IF ever (in 2020) this could change ?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
My guess is MFT is becoming a bit of a problem for FCA. First, it requires RamBox to have adequate bed sidewall strength to handle the MFT weight. Otherwise, they add an awkward brace with is an additional cost to them.

And they are having a problem with either the production or cost of the bed step for the MFT which is shown in all the MFT videos, including the current one on their website.

While a $1000 is expensive to the buyer, given the limited volume and these other issues, FCA is possibly loosing money on it anyway. It would be very hard to quantify if MFT is the feature that caused buyers to chose a Ram, especially with its limited availability and the Ram's many other features (top draw styling inside and out, 4-link rear suspension, 4-corner air suspension, RamBox)

Users who are viewing this thread