5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wax or Polish new Ram 1500 for first time

frostmen

Reaction score
I recently purchase a Ram 1500 Crew cab and looking for information regarding waxing/polishing a new truck. Does anyone have useful and authentic information? I have looked for this information in the Manual, but no luck so far.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is not like the old days where there are a lot of requirements when buying a new vehicle to break it in. There are some guidelines in the Owner's Manual for engine break-in but they are pretty mild compared to the "old days".

As for paint it's what you want to do. There's no more cure time (I remember when you couldn't wax it for 6 months for the new paint to cure) or any special actions for new paint so you can wash, polish, and wax to your heart's content from day 1.

If you are looking for some specific pointers outside of a general Google search or detailing forum here are some RAM specific places to peruse:

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know if actual "instructions" are available. For the first waxing, I recommend that you clay bar the truck first to get the contaminates out of the paint. After clay bar, put on a coat or two of good wax. You will get a lot of opinions on wax. Me personally, after trying nearly every wax I heard of, have settled with Collinite Wax. Twice a year I put Collinite 476S Super Doublecoat Wax on my truck. This is a heavy, thick, and VERY long lasting paste wax; it makes the surface slick and will stay that way for six months or more. If I feel the need or desire to shine up my truck between my 476S applications; then I'll throw on a coat of Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. The 845 lasts very long as well. The 845 gives a bit of a brighter shine than the 476S, but isn't quite as durable as the 476S. You will get TONS of recommendations for waxes and ceramic coatings. I'm sure there are a lot of good products out there and many that are not so good. My recommendation is based upon my own experimentation with waxes over the past 20 plus years....its Collinite for me from here on.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I suggest an SiO2 product versus traditional waxes or a ceramic coat. Waxes are like dinosaurs now with all of the gear new technology available.

frostmen

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's responses. Good information. I grew up in the old days when you had to let the paint cure before waxing. I did a couple of google searches and read that in today's world, the manufacturers now heat treat or bake the paint so it cures but wanted to make sure. Thanks for the specific pointers @brian42 useful information.

Code2medic

Reaction score
I recently purchase a Ram 1500 Crew cab and looking for information regarding waxing/polishing a new truck. Does anyone have useful and authentic information? I have looked for this information in the Manual, but no luck so far.
You want the long or the short?

i bought my Ram 2 weeks ago first think I did was wash it while still wet I used iron x on it to get all the iron and crap out of the paint. It turns purple which is how you know it’s working.

wash it off and wash it again. Then the clay bar process was done...... it’s still sitting in the garage un driven since because of work. But it will get a buffing and polishing then I’ll hit it with cars pro to remove oils etc etc before it’s coated with ceramic coating....

I must be doing something right cause my 07 looks like a show car and driven like it’s stolen not to mention it takes no time to clean anymore. Also after each wash while it’s wet I use bead maker as the dry aid on the whole car smells good too

I use jescar or collinite i also have another that I try not to use often as it’s expensive and used on high end cars the kind I won’t be able to afford 😅

Attachments

• B3F1B6B7-F219-4AA7-BF7B-9A8B90C234F2.jpeg
    B3F1B6B7-F219-4AA7-BF7B-9A8B90C234F2.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

KCViper

Reaction score
I plan on putting a ceramic coating on my truck when it arrives. As @securityguy mentioned, waxes are "older" technology and you might at least consider a SiO2 infused product (there are many) for longevity that you just can't get in a paste wax.

Steps:
Wash (two bucket) then dry
Clay bar (use detail spray as lubricant)
Polish with DA polisher (look at paint as single stage would most likely suffice on a new truck)
IPA to remove polish/oil residue
Ceramic SiO2 coating of your choice

Code2medic

Reaction score
I plan on putting a ceramic coating on my truck when it arrives. As @securityguy mentioned, waxes are "older" technology and you might at least consider a SiO2 infused product (there are many) for longevity that you just can't get in a paste wax.

Steps:
Polish with DA polisher (look at paint as single stage would most likely suffice on a new truck)
You missed the biggest step..... removing iron on the paint before even thinking of claying

also remembering ipa is not a good thing u less you know what percent to go with, 99 percent can and will remove paint that’s why you use carpro eraser instead or something similar of ipa

Last edited:

Funkanella

Reaction score

Steps:
What brand would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread