5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water stain... third brake light

macinusaf

Reaction score
I noticed water stain in the rear headliner and (tried) replaced third brake assembly. Problem... is it supposed to be flush with the cab? Can't seem to make a proper fit. Ordered from mopar. Very frustrated.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it is the latest version, then it will stick out a bit more than the stock one ..
why?
because the new design has a gasket that is nearly 3x that of the original, and it also has an additional gasket added to help seal.
if you watch the water now, it runs off both sides of the 3rd brake light and down onto the window instead of into the window seam (which allows leaking on the inside).

BE WARNING: YOUR SHARK FIN ANTENNA LEAKS A LOT MORE THAN THAT 3rd BRAKE LIGHT .. Trust me -- I replaced 3rd brake light twice (along with the rear window) prior to seeing the latest update to look at the antenna.

All dry now for 2 weeks (no carpets inside mine as we wait for shipping to give them to me.)

Attachments

• 3rd Brake Light.jpg
    3rd Brake Light.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 91

macinusaf

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I plan to also check the antennae but taking some time to research removal first.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dropping the rear headliner takes time and patience to say the least. Remove both sets of pillars and untuck the headliner from the rear window just enough to reach in from the opened rear glass and have the 3rd brake light out helps too. I should have taken some step-by-step photos .. I still can if I get time at work since my rig is all ripped apart (interiorwise I mean)

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Once fixed, cleaning the headliner is easy, the stain is caused by the dirt that entered with the water, go to Walmart and buy some Amoral All-Purpose Cleaning Wipes and clean the stains with it.

That stuff is amazing on fabric and just about all surfaces you can think of. Very mild yet effective, been using it for a decade, always works and never harms anything, will make your headliner look like it never had any water stain.

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
So after you replaced the brake light with the new updated version & beefed up seal, the problem went away?

Mine just presented itself a few days ago. Ofcourse just over the warranty period. Figured, easiest to start with the brake light.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
along with the rear window (which hadn't leaked in the 3 yrs I've owned the truck) and THE biggest leak was the antenna .. thus the carpets being replaced due to mold/mildew.

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
along with the rear window (which hadn't leaked in the 3 yrs I've owned the truck) and THE biggest leak was the antenna .. thus the carpets being replaced due to mold/mildew.
In order to address the antenna. The headliner has to be dropped. I have a pano sunroof. How hard is it?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know if the new gasket is made of the same water absorbing foam-like material as the old ones?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In order to address the antenna. The headliner has to be dropped. I have a pano sunroof. How hard is it?
I too have the pano as well - not hard, but time consuming. B- & C- pillars come off to allow the rear to be dropped far enough without damage.
Anyone know if the new gasket is made of the same water absorbing foam-like material as the old ones?
It is not the same -- see my photo I posted.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too have the pano as well - not hard, but time consuming. B- & C- pillars come off to allow the rear to be dropped far enough without damage.

It is not the same -- see my photo I posted.

So the new gasket design also has a new material?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, please scroll up to post #2 -- that has the photo for you
The "additional gasket" isn't the same as the new "main gasket"- which retains/absorbs less water.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, please scroll up to post #2 -- that has the photo for you
The "additional gasket" isn't the same as the new "main gasket"- which retains/absorbs less water.
Ok thanks. I saw the pic. It is good to know the top gasket is different than the regular main gasket, can't tell easily on a photo.

I guess my question is, is the main gasket material water absorbing like it used to be before they redesigned the gasket surround?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the "new" gasket does in fact still absorb water. You need to swap to a true rubber style gasket. I did this first thing when I got my 2021 and have had zero leak issues even in the Florida thunderstorms. I believe it was 10$ on Amazon and about 15 minutes of my time swapping it out.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the "new" gasket does in fact still absorb water. You need to swap to a true rubber style gasket. I did this first thing when I got my 2021 and have had zero leak issues even in the Florida thunderstorms. I believe it was 10$ on Amazon and about 15 minutes of my time swapping it out.
Thx.

I have a 2020 and switched to the marine gasket before even taking it through the car wash. No issues in 20 months. My dad has a 2022 on order and was asking to see if he needs to change his, too. Sounds like the answer is yes.

Rebel_driver

Reaction score

So the rubber gasket you purchased on Amazon was specific to the 2021 ram? I tried looking but wasn’t able to find anything. Thanks I’m advance.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So the rubber gasket you purchased on Amazon was specific to the 2021 ram? I tried looking but wasn’t able to find anything. Thanks I’m advance.
I believe this is the material members have been using to replace the OEM seal. To my knowledge there is nothing specific for the ram light. There is also a thread with more info on this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread