5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Spots

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone said this works good.
Haven't bought it yet as it's kind of pricy and I would need to buy some fittings as I would likely only take it out when I am washing the trucks (and only use for the rinse at the end)
I also use leaf blower to assist with drying.

I can wipe off the water spots after the leaf blower, but I think with a good deionizer you wouldn't need to? I do have hard

Someone said this works good.
Haven't bought it yet as it's kind of pricy and I would need to buy some fittings as I would likely only take it out when I am washing the trucks (and only use for the rinse at the end)
I also use leaf blower to assist with drying.

I can wipe off the water spots after the leaf blower, but I think with a good deionizer you wouldn't need to? I do have hard water.

Here ya go

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Keep your truck wet throughout the washing process. Drying in the sun is a challenge, especially with a black vehicle. Use a drying aid or "wet wax" type product and a microfiber towel specifically designed for drying. As you work through drying body panels with your drying towel and product, keep the body panels that you haven't got to wet.

If you are having trouble removing the water spots you already have, give Adam's Water Spot Remover a try.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You need to check your water for total dissolved solids. If yorTDS is too high, no soaps, washing in shade or any other tricks will not work. I have high TDS and it is so aggravating to wash my truck and it looks worse after washing.
I just ordered Adam's Water Deionizer. A Deionizer will remove dissolved solids and all is good.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a decent low gpm\ high pressure garden hose attachment?

I realized over all the years I stopped buying garden hose nozzles with the "mist" function as I would never use it and my nozzles are made to throw a lot of water on purpose.
I just received one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087TK58P8?psc=1& and at a quick glance looks like could work depending on what spray I use in the couple of tests in my carport (I get water spots unless I hand dry it ASAP even in complete shade)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use a sheeting car wash soap, specifically Turtle Wax Zip Wash, which I can wash the whole truck at one time, leave it to dry in the baking summer sun, and it rinses right off with a simple rinse. Been using it for over a decade, never any water spots.

However, I will occasionally get hard water spots when off-roading and being too lazy to wash/dry off and leaving it, or sprinklers is very common as well.

What removes hard water spots easily is a 50/50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and water. I spray it with a water bottle and use a microfiber towel to rub off. It takes a few seconds to a minute or so, but it will take off hard water spots easily, something that many cleaner waxes or polishes fail to do. Make sure to rinse the panel afterwards and put on some spray wax (or whatever you like) since it will remove any paint protection you have on the affected area you just cleaned. This tip came from a very well known detailer, and it works like magic.
Water spots are determined more by how hard you water is, that you are spraying on the truck, than products used. Your water probably isn't as hard as OPs

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Water spots are determined more by how hard you water is, that you are spraying on the truck, than products used. Your water probably isn't as hard as OPs

We have really hard water here, the TDS is typically in the 300 range on the cold water spout, which is right on the border of hard & very hard water rating. The sheeting action allows the water to "sheet" away with little beading that can sit on the sun and turn into water spots.

The shampoo also allows me to let the soapy water literally dry in the sun for up to half an hour before I rinse it. And it will wash right off with this shampoo spot free.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in the FL Panhandle. My sprinklers are well but my hose and house are municipal. We're fortunate our water is not bad at all. Even my shower heads and faucets get very little build up.

I'm probably still going to get the filter because it's pretty cool but that's like 3 boxes of .223 or 5.56. :)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just the yellow tip.
Oh with a pressure washer? I was just going to use my setup to rinse off the bad water at the end. My pressure washer is a bit too strong for these devices, at least the cheap I line one I got.
I use a white tip and it's 1.6gpm
Yellow tip is only 1.1 but would rip the paint off my truck.
I don't even clean my truck anymore I got lazy from the winter then waiting for pollen to end. When I will do it likely just garden hose and hands on, as hands free never gets it very clean.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh with a pressure washer? I was just going to use my setup to rinse off the bad water at the end. My pressure washer is a bit too strong for these devices, at least the cheap I line one I got.
I use a white tip and it's 1.6gpm
Yellow tip is only 1.1 but would rip the paint off my truck.
I don't even clean my truck anymore I got lazy from the winter then waiting for pollen to end. When I will do it likely just garden hose and hands on, as hands free never gets it very clean.
They make mister tips as well. I use the pressure washer because it flows less than straight out the hose with a nozzle on it.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good info.
One thing I do is wash my truck early, early in the morning. Otherwise the truck dries way too fast in the hot and sunny weather.

Users who are viewing this thread