5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Spots

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So did my first wash with foam cannon and then mitt. I used CG Honeydew Foam soap. Rinsed and drying I have water spots. What's the best way/ product to get those out? Do I have to rinse and dry again? It is sunny so I know I didn't get it dried quick enough...first time things are a big unorganized with methods.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just dry it by hand and or with a leaf blower.
rinse, clean, rinse. Then gently rinse each panel one at a time and dry them by hand. If you're quick you can do it in 4 sections, each side then front and rear.
Hard water sucks.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I use a sheeting car wash soap, specifically Turtle Wax Zip Wash, which I can wash the whole truck at one time, leave it to dry in the baking summer sun, and it rinses right off with a simple rinse. Been using it for over a decade, never any water spots.

However, I will occasionally get hard water spots when off-roading and being too lazy to wash/dry off and leaving it, or sprinklers is very common as well.

What removes hard water spots easily is a 50/50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and water. I spray it with a water bottle and use a microfiber towel to rub off. It takes a few seconds to a minute or so, but it will take off hard water spots easily, something that many cleaner waxes or polishes fail to do. Make sure to rinse the panel afterwards and put on some spray wax (or whatever you like) since it will remove any paint protection you have on the affected area you just cleaned. This tip came from a very well known detailer, and it works like magic.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a sheeting car wash soap, specifically Turtle Wax Zip Wash, which I can wash the whole truck at one time, leave it to dry in the baking summer sun, and it rinses right off with a simple rinse. Been using it for over a decade, never any water spots.

However, I will occasionally get hard water spots when off-roading and being too lazy to wash/dry off and leaving it, or sprinklers is very common as well.

What removes hard water spots easily is a 50/50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and water. I spray it with a water bottle and use a microfiber towel to rub off. It takes a few seconds to a minute or so, but it will take off hard water spots easily, something that many cleaner waxes or polishes fail to do. Make sure to rinse the panel afterwards and put on some spray wax (or whatever you like) since it will remove any paint protection you have on the affected area you just cleaned. This tip came from a very well known detailer, and it works like magic.
Thanks for that tip. I am planning on trying a different soap for my next wash as well. I used CG honeydew and was not impressed. It seemed to leave streaks and spots. I've never had to deal with water spots using the carwash and drying it myself...I was not expecting to see them washing at home

Insanity

Reaction score
I used the CG extream body wash and wax. I have bad water spots too. I like the wash but I would need a spot free rinse no matter what I do. The water is so hard where I live that even with filtering water spots can still be a issue.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks for that tip. I am planning on trying a different soap for my next wash as well. I used CG honeydew and was not impressed. It seemed to leave streaks and spots. I've never had to deal with water spots using the carwash and drying it myself...I was not expecting to see them washing at home

Yup, it's usually the car wash soap that is an issue. I used TW Zipwash for years and it's honestly amazing how I can leave it in the sun to dry on my paint and I can rinse the whole vehicle off at my leisure and it will rinse off perfectly, leaving zero water spots.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, it's usually the car wash soap that is an issue. I used TW Zipwash for years and it's honestly amazing how I can leave it in the sun to dry on my paint and I can rinse the whole vehicle off at my leisure and it will rinse off perfectly, leaving zero water spots.
Is that still your got to soap? Does it work with a foam cannon? Might be a silly question as I'm new to it and think there is specific soap for the cannon...but what do I know? Lol! I was thinking of trying the Gtechniq line

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Is that still your got to soap? Does it work with a foam cannon? Might be a silly question as I'm new to it and think there is specific soap for the cannon...but what do I know? Lol! I was thinking of trying the Gtechniq line

It will work with a Soap Cannon with water mix, maybe a 1:5 ratio or so. But in the two bucket method with your normal contact wash soap, it's ideal for that. Either way, anything that says "sheeting" will work the same, you should be able to rinse it off even after it dries with no problem.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you need to use a ph 0/ neutral soap and use a sealer or ceramic gloss booster or something afterwards to give it the protection and shine

JBarry

Reaction score

Okay, I will try that distilled vinegar and water mixture.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Okay, I will try that distilled vinegar and water mixture.

I should work well. We had our old Lexus sitting next to the sprinklers for weeks and it left a lot of hard stains on the car. I tried my normal go to, Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, which usually works on many things, and it didn't make a dent. I tried some other cleaners and polishers, nothing.

Then after watching a YouTube video on hard water stain removal on car paint, I mixed 50/50 distilled white vinegar and tap water. Sprayed it liberally on the panels and wiped it down with a microfiber towel. Repeated several times and worked the panels for about 30 seconds, they were squeaky clean in no time.

After you remove the water stains, spray down the body panels with a hose to remove any left over vinegar and do a light coat of wax since it will remove the wax.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another way to prevent future hard water spots is to use an RV under sink water filter on your hose. I purchased two from Amazon and screwed it on to hose spigot and hose. I now have soft water to wash my truck.

71XpH-NuIEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I won't say that it's as good as the deionizers that cost $100s, but it removes the majority of the hardness. When I wash my truck, I use a leaf blower to get the majority of water out of every nook and cranny. By the time I finish with the leaf blower, some of the water spots left over will be dry. A very light wipe with my damp drying towel, and all of the water spots are gone. Before using these, the water spots were more difficult to remove, so even though they aren't perfect, they lessen the amount of work needed when drying the truck. I think any drying water will leave a spot, but how difficult is it to remove that spot is what I was going for.

My neighbor told me about this and for the price, it was worth trying.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Someone said this works good.
Haven't bought it yet as it's kind of pricy and I would need to buy some fittings as I would likely only take it out when I am washing the trucks (and only use for the rinse at the end)
I also use leaf blower to assist with drying.

I can wipe off the water spots after the leaf blower, but I think with a good deionizer you wouldn't need to? I do have hard water.

Users who are viewing this thread