5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

water leak

ld4runner

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn water leaking in behind rear seat. Found the carpet soaked at driver side rear seat. Stuck my hand up behind the seat and it's wet. Bringing it to the dealer today and will update when I have answer. So pissed because this seems to be a common occurrence. I think it's going to be the cabin air vents. I noticed when searching the replacement part the part number changed several times probably because they kept trying to make one that doesn't leak. The latest version has tabs on both side so when it snaps in it fits as tight as possible.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn water leaking in behind rear seat. Found the carpet soaked at driver side rear seat. Stuck my hand up behind the seat and it's wet. Bringing it to the dealer today and will update when I have answer. So pissed because this seems to be a common occurrence. I think it's going to be the cabin air vents. I noticed when searching the replacement part the part number changed several times probably because they kept trying to make one that doesn't leak. The latest version has tabs on both side so when it snaps in it fits as tight as possible.
Not again...
Search before open another "Water Leak" thread. there are about a dozend of them out there.

Reaction score
Not again...
Search before open another "Water Leak" thread. there are about a dozend of them out there.
True statement. 👆👆👆

I have the same water leak. It's either the CHMSL or a cracked rear window surround. In my case, it's the CHMSL. Should (hopefully) have the replacement CHMSL at the dealer sometime next week.

In the meantime, I noticed that if I park my truck on an incline (my driveway is somewhat inclined) the water leaks quite a bit. BUT, if I park my truck on a decline, the water does not leak at all. So I've been backing the truck in the driveway for the time being and the water is not coming in no matter how hard it rains. Just my $0.02, your results may vary.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not likely the air vents. The 21's I think are covered under the new warranty. Did you receive your letters? There is one for the Third brake light and one for the rear window.

ld4runner

Reaction score
Not again...
Just spoke with my service advisor and he's saying water was leaking from all 4 corner of the sun roof. They are keeping it until Monday to recheck. So glad I spent the extra money on the sun roof.

ld4runner

Reaction score
It's not likely the air vents. The 21's I think are covered under the new warranty. Did you receive your letters? There is one for the Third brake light and one for the rear window.
Just spoke with my service advisor and he's saying it's leaking from all 4 corner of the sun roof. They will keep it until Monday to recheck. So glad I spent the extra money on the sun roof. I did not receive any letters. Can you attach pics?

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just spoke with my service advisor and he's saying it's leaking from all 4 corner of the sun roof. They will keep it until Monday to recheck. So glad I spent the extra money on the sun roof. I did not receive any letters. Can you attach pics?
Damn. Bummer.

ld4runner

Reaction score
Heavy rain and it's wet again in the same spot under the drivers side rear seat. Brought it back yesterday and now service manager is telling me it was wet at the rear brake light and the rear window. Brake light was changed but they have to order a new window. After this only thing left is the rear cabin air vents. So according to service manager I had leaks at all four corners of the sun roof, the rear brake light and the rear window. WTF truck is 2021, only 25k miles and no never been in an accident.

397STROKER

Reaction score
Sounds like the service manager is just guessing. I doubt that all that was leaking.

breilly

Reaction score
2021 Laramie, Crew Cab, 5.7 eTorque. I have had water leaking in the back which looks like the window. I took it to the dealer and they said the third light and sunroof window drains needed to be replaced. It took them forever to get this done because they ordered parts, have me come in, then call me when they go two work on the truck to let me know they don't have the parts. Oh, and the tech that was assigned to this took a two week leave and they would not re-assign it to another tech. Very frustrated with this issue. Of course they never fixed the leak, it is still leaking from the back window right from where I showed them when I brought it in. I can spray it with a hose and see water running down int the inside window. Rear rugs get wet and the front may too pending on the angle of the truck when I park it. Naturally, the trunk smells funky. Why hasn't Ram addressed these issues. As much as I like the truck I am getting to the point where I will have to get rid of it. There is so much condensation in the truck from the cold at night and the truck being warm, water from in the truck condensates on the windshield. I know that can be normal but this is very excessive.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you checked the plastic window frame for cracks? If you have cracks at the top it is the rear window, otherwise it's likely the CMHL. I've had both leak and if it's the window, usually you will see visible water draining down the inside of the back window in the rain possibly on to the seat. If it's the CMHL I mostly just noticed the headliner was wet. It never got bad enough to get the rear carpet wet in either case because I heard about the potential issues ahead of time so I'm always checking the back for any water.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Heavy rain and it's wet again in the same spot under the drivers side rear seat. Brought it back yesterday and now service manager is telling me it was wet at the rear brake light and the rear window. Brake light was changed but they have to order a new window. After this only thing left is the rear cabin air vents. So according to service manager I had leaks at all four corners of the sun roof, the rear brake light and the rear window. WTF truck is 2021, only 25k miles and no never been in an accident.
Unless your headliner was wet, you didn't have leaks at the sunroof. Your dealer doesn't sound real competent.
You keep mentioning the rear air vents - that's almost never a source of water.
So you can scratch those two off the list. Chances are, your leak is EITHER the CHSML or the rear window (not both). But if you're getting both replaced for free, then that's not necessarily a bad thing.

breilly

Reaction score
Have you checked the plastic window frame for cracks? If you have cracks at the top it is the rear window, otherwise it's likely the CMHL. I've had both leak and if it's the window, usually you will see visible water draining down the inside of the back window in the rain possibly on to the seat. If it's the CMHL I mostly just noticed the headliner was wet. It never got bad enough to get the rear carpet wet in either case because I heard about the potential issues ahead of time so I'm always checking the back for any water.
The head liner is dry and no signs of water stains, I do see water running down the window though the frame is not cracked. The 3rd brake light and sunroof drains were repaired by the dealer but it did not stop the leakage, I guess they don't test very well, at least mine didn't.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Unless your headliner was wet, you didn't have leaks at the sunroof. Your dealer doesn't sound real competent.
You keep mentioning the rear air vents - that's almost never a source of water.
So you can scratch those two off the list. Chances are, your leak is EITHER the CHSML or the rear window (not both). But if you're getting both replaced for free, then that's not necessarily a bad thing.
My friend bought a used 2020 and he did actually have a leaky rear vent lol. He said the gasket or something was gunked up.

He also had water gushing in after starting to drive coming in up front somehow, and it came in from the top controls (he doesn't have a sunroof). Pretty funny imo.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The head liner is dry and no signs of water stains, I do see water running down the window though the frame is not cracked. The 3rd brake light and sunroof drains were repaired by the dealer but it did not stop the leakage, I guess they don't test very well, at least mine didn't.
You see water running down the window, the frame is most likely cracked somewhere in the corners.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hello @ld4runner

First, we would like to welcome you to Forums. Our team would like to see what we can do to assist you. Please private message us with details of your experience, so we can see what we can do.

Gia
Ram Cares

Last edited:

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
I have been having the same issue. I decided to remove my seats and the cab wall panel so I could see where water was coming from. I have 2 cracks in my window frame and water runs in and drips from that. I did however see water entering from a seam in the cab wall. In the attached picture you can see where I circled is where the water is coming in. The arrow is the water line as it travels down to the floor. The other photo is the water that just accumulates along the base of the cab wall. @ld4runner this may be your issue as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1111.jpeg
    IMG_1111.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1112.jpeg
    IMG_1112.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 69

Wirerat

Reaction score
My vent was leaking recently. There was debris trapped between bed and cab in that area. It was holding the flap open letting water seep In.

I used high pressure to blow all the crap out. Vent isn't letting water in now.

The bed cover creates the perfect storm to funnel debris to that area.

breilly

Reaction score
Just heard from a different dealer I took my truck to. After the first dealer replaced the 3rd brake light and sunroof drains it still leaks. This dealer says its the rear window leaking. He said it is not under warranty. The truck is still in the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty and he said that is only covered under the 1yr/12k warranty. I mean, this is a manufacturer defect, not broken glass. I called Ram customer support and opened a case. This is such BS. They know these trucks have an issue so why the run around and should be covered under the 3/36.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just heard from a different dealer I took my truck to. After the first dealer replaced the 3rd brake light and sunroof drains it still leaks. This dealer says its the rear window leaking. He said it is not under warranty. The truck is still in the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty and he said that is only covered under the 1yr/12k warranty. I mean, this is a manufacturer defect, not broken glass. I called Ram customer support and opened a case. This is such BS. They know these trucks have an issue so why the run around and should be covered under the 3/36.
Yep

Users who are viewing this thread