5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leak "repair"

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I pick up my truck after 18 days at the service center for a few issues. One of them was the infamous water leak in the rear window. Their fix was to fill the gap with caulk/sealant and call it a day. Look what they did to my truck with 20k miles on it. I've only made a handful of payments on the SOB!

There was a severe thunderstorm approaching and I only gave the truck a quick walk around before I drove off.

I called my service tech and told him I wasn't happy.

They also discarded my $30 cargo LEDs that I had just installed in the 3rd brake light.
fbb488341b91de1984e434d6bc8b7d95.jpg

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I would come un-£¤€*-ing glued if they pulled this $#!+ with my truck. Especially after a 18 day visit!!!! Unreal.....

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I called my service advisor and said I wasn't happy about the work done. He had me come in and speak with the service manager. They looked at the repair and said the only other thing they could've done was remove and re-seal the entire rear window. My response was "yes!". I now have yet another appointment set up near the end of the month.

Camelot

Reaction score
My dealership replaced the complete rear window. Known issue, and Stellantis approved the new rear window right away. No leak since then

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My dealership replaced the complete rear window. Known issue, and Stellantis approved the new rear window right away. No leak since then
Did yours have cracks in the frame? I'm not sure they'll replace it if there are no cracks. The OP didn't say there were cracks in his, only that it was leaking. My daughter is in the process of having hers replaced in her 2019 Rebel. It has cracks and is leaking badly. Fully covered by Stellantis.

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
Did yours have cracks in the frame? I'm not sure they'll replace it if there are no cracks. The OP didn't say there were cracks in his, only that it was leaking. My daughter is in the process of having hers replaced in her 2019 Rebel. It has cracks and is leaking badly. Fully covered by Stellantis.
I'm not sure if there are cracks in it. I know it's leaking as there will be water running down the inside of the window after I wash it.

They WILL replace it now as they filled it with fu$%ing caulk.

Last edited:

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Look closely for any paint damage after they replace the window. Silicone is difficult to remove, and I'm sure the techs at the dealership wont be too careful and will most likely try and scrape it off rather than use the proper methods

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
Look closely for any paint damage after they replace the window. Silicone is difficult to remove, and I'm sure the techs at the dealership wont be too careful and will most likely try and scrape it off rather than use the proper methods
Like a hawk!

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I got my truck back from the dealer the other day. They fixed their "repair" of the rear window. It was a full replacement unit done by a 3rd party. After I peeled off the tape I immediately noticed a small dent under the 3rd brake light. Upon closer inspection I can see that the new unit is slightly different than the older unit. Looks like Mopar made a design change a some point. The original unit has a plastic bridge between the left and right glass panes. Whereas the new one is thin guage stamped steel.
f6b8439e98a0d1f1968010688649fec0.jpg
0b10e285445abfc07435ad5d9e19eaeb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this doesn't help really - but I went out the first week after buying my 2021 and immediately replaced the gasket on the 3rd brake light with a thicker rubber one. Knock on wood, I've had no leak issues. Hoping it stays that way. I did have the leak in my 2019 though.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello, @Drivinfast247!

We're sorry to hear about your vehicle concerns and would like to offer our support if you are still experiencing this. Please send us a private message with your VIN if interested!

Hannah
Ram Cares

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I know this doesn't help really - but I went out the first week after buying my 2021 and immediately replaced the gasket on the 3rd brake light with a thicker rubber one. Knock on wood, I've had no leak issues. Hoping it stays that way. I did have the leak in my 2019 though.

Same. It’s been raining non stop since I got the truck.

Or they just solved the issue on the ‘21s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camelot

Reaction score
No, its not solved. My 21 leaked like crazy until they replaced the rear window.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Or late model year production runs. My build date was a couple months ago

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
The build date on my 21 is 5/21 and it's at the dealer right now for the rear slider leaking. I only have 2100 miles on it. They called me this evening and said it's done. I told them I'll pick it up tomorrow morning because it's raining tonight and I want them to see if it's really fixed or not. We'll see in the morning

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Just a follow up from the post I made 9 hours ago. I just went to pick up my truck after they replaced the rear slider and it's still getting wet under the back seat. I'm keeping their loaner until they can keep my truck dry

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Laramie has a build date of 5/21. I bought it June 2021. I have not noticed any leaks yet, and it's been pretty wet here in the North East. Maybe I'll have a closer look at the rear windows next time it rains or when I use my powerwash.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same. It’s been raining non stop since I got the truck.

Or they just solved the issue on the ‘21s

I did not have the updated gasket on my '21. I just went to walmart and bought a thicker, rubber gasket and made my own. Knock on wood, I've had no issues...

Users who are viewing this thread