5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Leak at driver side floorboard carpet

Cruising

Reaction score
Reminding everyone who has a 5th generation Ram 1500 to check your carpets for moisture after a heavy rain or even a car wash. This means to check the bottom most layer of carpet that is adhered to the truck, not the removable carpets. As of this writing, my 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie built 10/19 (which I've had less than 3 months) has a water intrusion problem which causes water to accumulate at just about center of the driver side floor panel carpet after raining. There are no leaks visible from inside the vehicle. If anyone else had this problem and had it corrected successfully by the dealer I would appreciate knowing what the solution was. I have an appointment at the Ram dealer tomorrow but I would like to know of other peoples solutions to this problem just in case my truck is not fixed successfully the first time. I know that the cause of problems such as leaks are quite often hard to diagnose. I will post what happened at the dealer after I get it back. Note: If you don't see any leaks after a rainy day, make sure that you check after a "heavy" rain as the problem may only manifest itself after a heavy rain. Thanks.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a thread on here with plenty of others with the same issue. There is also a TSB on the seams under the driver fender causing the leak.

F332949B-DD72-48E0-9A77-F12CE64E62FD.png

Cruising

Reaction score
There is a thread on here with plenty of others with the same issue. There is also a TSB on the seams under the driver fender causing the leak.

View attachment 58111
Thanks for the info. I believe that will ultimately be the diagnosis but time will tell. Right now the dealer says that the weatherstripping needs to be replaced and I can't force them to check and repair weld seams so I will just take it back if their fix doesn't work. You would think that the dealers would know as much or more about this problem than us here on this forum so they could check every possible cause the first time so we do not have to bring our vehicles back for additional repairs.I see that many people on this forum had to return multiple times for additional repairs of the same leak.Thanks again.

Cruising

Reaction score
The Ram dealer said that they replaced the body side driver door seal. It seems to have solved the problem of water intrusion on to the driver side floorboard carpet. Just to let everyone know.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Ram dealer said that they replaced the body side driver door seal. It seems to have solved the problem of water intrusion on to the driver side floorboard carpet. Just to let everyone know.

So glad to hear your dealer was able to get this taken care of, @Cruising! If you are ever in need of any additional support down the road, our team is always a private message away and more than happy to assist.

Mark
RamCares

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has been posted repeatadly with all the proper fixes, TSBs, and recalls.

1st the recall/tsb tells everyone to check the 3rd brake light
2nd for those that have the PANO roof, they are to check the 4 drain plugs
3rd the final fix would be the body seam as posted above by @Mopar_maxi

For me, personally, 75% of the fix was the 3rd brake light.
I still had a bit during heavy rains, so I went from there and had already checked the drain plugs before driving off the lot when I purchased my truck (thanks to all those on this forum posting photos so I knew what to look for).
Now I will be having the body seam completed as soon as I get time as it will be a free fix for my rig at my local dealer.

Cruising

Reaction score
This has been posted repeatadly with all the proper fixes, TSBs, and recalls.

1st the recall/tsb tells everyone to check the 3rd brake light
2nd for those that have the PANO roof, they are to check the 4 drain plugs
3rd the final fix would be the body seam as posted above by @Mopar_maxi

For me, personally, 75% of the fix was the 3rd brake light.
I still had a bit during heavy rains, so I went from there and had already checked the drain plugs before driving off the lot when I purchased my truck (thanks to all those on this forum posting photos so I knew what to look for).
Now I will be having the body seam completed as soon as I get time as it will be a free fix for my rig at my local dealer.
Well I can tell you that the 4th check should be to check the body side weatherstripping of the door in question for water intrusion. That's what my dealer checked and saw water intrusion. They then replaced the body side weatherstripping and no more driver floorboard wet carpet.

raygun9

Reaction score
I just got my 2020 rebel 10 days ago. This past Tuesday (8 days after purchase) I brought it in for this issue.. they said the driver side drain tube on the pano sunroof was clogged. fixed it and did a leak test and now the problem is gone so I can pick it up. I dried the carpet and got excited to start doing mods. This AM I went out and the carpet was wet, thought maybe I didn't dry it enough. Left the heat on high for about 40minutes with it running... bone dry. I sprayed the pano sunroof, windshield and hood. Didnt see any leaks coming in so thought I was good. Went out 3 hours later. Carpet is wet. I park on a slight incline too so it can't be the 3rd brake light. Has to be this weld seam.

I thought it was odd a 2 year old truck with only 40k miles was traded in this early but now I figure the guy probably couldn't find the leak and gave up. Back to the dealership tomorrow. Will keep you guys all posted.

dustinwebb

Reaction score
I just noticed on my truck drivers side floor under my weather techs it was moist, carpet is moist - it’s been in the 80s here no rain..I wish I could return this damn truck, had problem after problem. I have the leaks in the headliner behind the pano sunroof, dealer said 3rd brake hardware/seal which made no sense where the leaks are they are on the sides not middle. They did repair, had my headliner replaced, again here we go same BS I see the stains in the corners from water. This doesnt include all the other things I’ve had, and I bought this truck new, have 46k miles on it.

raygun9

Reaction score
I just noticed on my truck drivers side floor under my weather techs it was moist, carpet is moist - it’s been in the 80s here no rain..I wish I could return this damn truck, had problem after problem. I have the leaks in the headliner behind the pano sunroof, dealer said 3rd brake hardware/seal which made no sense where the leaks are they are on the sides not middle. They did repair, had my headliner replaced, again here we go same BS I see the stains in the corners from water. This doesnt include all the other things I’ve had, and I bought this truck new, have 46k miles on it.
Ugh sorry man. Its the worst I went through it also. A lot of guys have luck with the silicone route if you dont wanna replace the window. If ur insurance covers glass maybe the back window was smashed by accident and is covered under your glass policy...

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey there,

We're sorry to see that you're having this concern. If you decide to take this back to your dealership, please reach out to us. We'd be happy to get you some assistance.

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/