5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water getting in bed with Tonneau Cover

k.daddy

Reaction score
When I purchased my truck I had the dealer install the Mopar Tri Fold Hard Tonneau cover. I opened the tailgate this morning and I had some water inside the bed. I could see where it was getting in because when I look through the opening in the picture I can see into the bed. Does anyone have experience with this tonneau...? Wondering if this was installed properly and if so, what can I do the stop the water from getting in? Thanks

IMG_1271.jpg IMG_1272.jpg IMG_1273.jpg

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since the dealer installed it, I would return to the dealer and have them adjust it.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I think it is installed properly. Many people have same issue and I think a little weather stripping in that gap helps it a bit. I have same gap and have been meaning to seal it with some small strips of weather stripping but havent got around to it yet. Takes a bit of work to get these 100% sealed.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I purchased my truck I had the dealer install the Mopar Tri Fold Hard Tonneau cover. I opened the tailgate this morning and I had some water inside the bed. I could see where it was getting in because when I look through the opening in the picture I can see into the bed. Does anyone have experience with this tonneau...? Wondering if this was installed properly and if so, what can I do the stop the water from getting in? Thanks

View attachment 41349 View attachment 41350 View attachment 41351

Hi k.daddy,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your tonneau cover. I kindly recommend following up with your dealer as they are in the best position to assist with correcting the cover so you don't experience any more leaks. If you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer, our team is just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

Zeeya

Reaction score

When I first got the MX 4 installed the installer added seals, but when I brought it back in to have the bed sprayed, of course they did not replace seals with new one. I may have gone a little overboard, but I basically used the same type seals they used (Home Depot/Amazon) and did it myself.
IMG_9050.jpg
Haven't had any leaks, but dust gets in through those holes in the side of the bed.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Its not leak proof. I have the same one, adjusted multiple times, same result. Most covers seem to let water in based on the extensive discussions on this forum. Adding seals/weather stripping in the gaps has helped but don’t expect it to solve the problem completely. Mine was leaking at the bulkhead, the tailgate and over the wheels wells when I first installed the cover. If you search the threads you’ll see what people (and I) have done to minimize the leakage.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its not leak proof. I have the same one, adjusted multiple times, same result. Most covers seem to let water in based on the extensive discussions on this forum. Adding seals/weather stripping in the gaps has helped but don’t expect it to solve the problem completely. Mine was leaking at the bulkhead, the tailgate and over the wheels wells when I first installed the cover. If you search the threads you’ll see what people (and I) have done to minimize the leakage.
I just got the Mopar hard trifold installed a few days ago. It’s been raining here since yesterday but only a steady rain no wind or anything crazy. I looked in the bed today and the cover leaks like a screen door. Pools of water at both tailgate corners and leaks at the front corners and over wheel wells. This cover sells for $1050! I expect a few drops here and there but this is ridiculous. What a piece of crap. I called the dealer and they are going to take a look. I’m pissed because I can’t keep anything in the bed that can’t get wet. I have a tool bag that is now soaked and some detailing supplies that are drenched.

Baron74

Reaction score
I just got the Mopar hard trifold installed a few days ago. It’s been raining here since yesterday but only a steady rain no wind or anything crazy. I looked in the bed today and the cover leaks like a screen door. Pools of water at both tailgate corners and leaks at the front corners and over wheel wells. This cover sells for $1050! I expect a few drops here and there but this is ridiculous. What a piece of crap. I called the dealer and they are going to take a look. I’m pissed because I can’t keep anything in the bed that can’t get wet. I have a tool bag that is now soaked and some detailing supplies that are drenched.

I have a Retrax Pro Mx and have had a lot of leaking. I put it together and installed it myself. Adjusted and tightened 4 times and still had a wet bed. I'm heading over the pass in WA stat tomorrow so I contacted a local installer about adjusting the cover correctly. Turns out there are two big holes in the truck bed between the cab and the bed. He said that when you are traveling the water pushes through these holes and spreads all over the bed. I thought I had leaks in the bulkheads with amount and distribution of the water in the bed. He explained that the water blows through these holes and makes it appear like the water is leaking from everywhere because it blows all the way back to the tailgate. He did flash a light from between the cab and bed and I could see the light shining in the bed so I'm tending to believe this explanation.

Anyway, he gave me some putty like stuff to plug the holes (see pics for location of the holes. I haven't tested it yes as I just completed the task in my garage. He did say he saw this issue with several other Ram truck owners complaining of wet beds though. Hopefully this is the final fix. Water by the tailgate (in the corners) is normal as I had that on my ford F-150 with the same cover. Also added gasket to the tailgate while I was at it. I'll keep you posted on the results.

The hole you want to plug is the top hole. The bottom hole is for the drain tubes.

Attachments

• 20200123_174746.jpg
    20200123_174746.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 136

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Retrax Pro Mx and have had a lot of leaking. I put it together and installed it myself. Adjusted and tightened 4 times and still had a wet bed. I'm heading over the pass in WA stat tomorrow so I contacted a local installer about adjusting the cover correctly. Turns out there are two big holes in the truck bed between the cab and the bed. He said that when you are traveling the water pushes through these holes and spreads all over the bed. I thought I had leaks in the bulkheads with amount and distribution of the water in the bed. He explained that the water blows through these holes and makes it appear like the water is leaking from everywhere because it blows all the way back to the tailgate. He did flash a light from between the cab and bed and I could see the light shining in the bed so I'm tending to believe this explanation.

Anyway, he gave me some putty like stuff to plug the holes (see pics for location of the holes. I haven't tested it yes as I just completed the task in my garage. He did say he saw this issue with several other Ram truck owners complaining of wet beds though. Hopefully this is the final fix. Water by the tailgate (in the corners) is normal as I had that on my ford F-150 with the same cover. Also added gasket to the tailgate while I was at it. I'll keep you posted on the results.

The hole you want to plug is the top hole. The bottom hole is for the drain tubes.
That definitely isn’t the source of the leaks with my cover. My truck was parked for a few days when I observed all the the water in the bed. I opened the tailgate and watched as it leaked in from the front corners, over the wheel wells and rear corners. The Mopar cover is terrible. You would think they would design it to protect the rear corners where the tailgate meets the bed as it’s specifically made for their own product. I had actual puddles of water in each rear corner. No trail of water leading from the cab area to the rear. It’s clearly leaking at all three spots in my situation. Very disappointed in the design.

Users who are viewing this thread