5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washing road salt off in winter

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's over freezing I pull out the pressure washer for my weekly wash. Warm water in the bucket, and the heater going in the garage to warm up if I get cold. I rigged up a little pvc contraption that lets me slide it under the truck to rinse the undercarriage; similar to the ones for a pressure washer, but I just use the regular hose and it only cost a few dollars to make.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it's over freezing I pull out the pressure washer for my weekly wash. Warm water in the bucket, and the heater going in the garage to warm up if I get cold. I rigged up a little pvc contraption that lets me slide it under the truck to rinse the undercarriage; similar to the ones for a pressure washer, but I just use the regular hose and it only cost a few dollars to make.
You should post the details of the pvc contraption (so I can steal the idea and sell it on late night tv... "not seen in any stores! For only 3 payments of $29.99 you can get the Desaltificator shipped directly to your home! And if you call now, you will also get... operators standing by!". :)

Quint

Reaction score
Those all sound great for warm weather locations, but not up here in the north. We can't even keep our outdoor spigots on in the winter!

A few years back, I finally gave in and spend about $250 annually for unlimited washes at the local carwash. That's a little over $20/mo for a wash that usually costs $13. This way I can keep the underbody clean despite all of the salt on the roads.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In the cold months I use a touchless car wash that shoots the undercarriage as well, weekly. I avoid car washes with a brush as rule anyway, but would especially stay away in the winter - God only knows what paint-scratching gremlins might lurk in those brushes!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered one of these to use with my Pressure Washer:

51DOP260bVL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

The Pressure Washer:

Foam Cannon:

25' Extra Hose:

5.5 ' Extended Reach Wand:

Malodave

Last edited:

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Just a note on corrosion - Corrosion occurs when the temperature warms up and moisture is created. A snowy salt covered truck pulled into a heated garage will actually speed up the corrosion process. Leaving your snow/ice covered salty vehicle outside if it's below freezing might actually be better from a corrosion stand point.

Quint

Reaction score
Just a note on corrosion - Corrosion occurs when the temperature warms up and moisture is created. A snowy salt covered truck pulled into a heated garage will actually speed up the corrosion process. Leaving your snow/ice covered salty vehicle outside if it's below freezing might actually be better from a corrosion stand point.
I love winter. It is good to know that my truck is doing better outside than inside (it doesn't fit in the garage).

WReckeR

Reaction score
So, many of you are saying what you do, but no one has mentioned the results. Undercarriage washers have variables that affect their effectiveness -- pressure, location, nozzle type, duration of exposure, water temperature, angle. Of course this is also a 5th Gen Forum, so our trucks are fairly new. I have a 20 year old Dodge Dakota and live in Indiana. I didn't start seeing rust through on my cab corners after year 10. My negligence in attending to the underside resulted in these effects over the years:
  • Replaced both power steering lines after leaking
  • Frame box section cross member under engine, large rust through hole (still there)
  • Replaced brake lines before leaks occurred (worst near front wheels)
  • Replaced fuel filler next before leaks occurred
  • Replaced exhaust after large holes developed in the muffler
  • Holes in the left rear wheel well, front and back
  • Lower cab corners gone
  • Rear bumper, replaced once
  • Tailgate underside, replaced once
  • Rear fenders deteriorating
  • Door lower corners
  • Weld seams between cab and frame underneath, more than 50% gone

So, I'm really curious about whether these activities are making a difference or not. Perhaps some of you followed the same routine on your previous vehicle, and can speak to whether it was effective?

tdager

Reaction score
In the cold months I use a touchless car wash that shoots the undercarriage as well, weekly. I avoid car washes with a brush as rule anyway, but would especially stay away in the winter - God only knows what paint-scratching gremlins might lurk in those brushes!
Same here!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, many of you are saying what you do, but no one has mentioned the results. Undercarriage washers have variables that affect their effectiveness -- pressure, location, nozzle type, duration of exposure, water temperature, angle. Of course this is also a 5th Gen Forum, so our trucks are fairly new. I have a 20 year old Dodge Dakota and live in Indiana. I didn't start seeing rust through on my cab corners after year 10. My negligence in attending to the underside resulted in these effects over the years:
  • Replaced both power steering lines after leaking
  • Frame box section cross member under engine, large rust through hole (still there)
  • Replaced brake lines before leaks occurred (worst near front wheels)
  • Replaced fuel filler next before leaks occurred
  • Replaced exhaust after large holes developed in the muffler
  • Holes in the left rear wheel well, front and back
  • Lower cab corners gone
  • Rear bumper, replaced once
  • Tailgate underside, replaced once
  • Rear fenders deteriorating
  • Door lower corners
  • Weld seams between cab and frame underneath, more than 50% gone

So, I'm really curious about whether these activities are making a difference or not. Perhaps some of you followed the same routine on your previous vehicle, and can speak to whether it was effective?
I live in an area that sees maybe 2-4 snows a year, and some years 0 snows. I might drive on salted roads 6-12 times per winter season. So I don't do anything special. I use my hose to knock off the worst stuff and drive through a big puddle when we get some rain, and that's about it. My Titan after 15 years had nothing but some surface rust on the underbody parts and was just starting to show a little bubbling near the wheel wells.

If I lived up north, I would probably invest in an unlimited car wash deal and just drive through it frequently and do the undercarriage wash.

nburd

Reaction score
Why bother...not enough Salt to worry about....lol

Attachments

• Salty Truck.jpg
    Salty Truck.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 37

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live up North - New York right on Lake Ontario. We get plenty of snow and salt. Car washes are only ever busy in the winter when the roads are dry. I personally have unlimited washes, every available option including touchless. I have that from last vehicle because I drover Uber...gotta look good. :cool: Now I love my Ram and I go whenever I leave the house. But people just don't stress about the salt here , clean it when the roads are clear and dry...and probably aren't keeping vehicles very long anymore or not long enough to rust out.

I remember as a kid my parents packed up and moved us out west...we drove. We got far enough west and made a stop at a store...somebody came over and asked my dad what was all that white stuff on the car??? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: salt my friend...and that took another explanation. LOL!

bman77

Reaction score
I just take it through the car wash. Pay $39 a month and I get unlimited washes of their top tier wash. I just make sure to tell them to not use their hand brushes. They could care less what they hit, bang or scrape with those hand brushes.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
That's a very good point. I've noticed a bit of it the last few weeks as I finally have a garage for the first time. However moving from S NY to Utah @ 7000 ft may have a bit to do with it. ?

Users who are viewing this thread