5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washing road salt off in winter

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Just curious what people do to wash road salt off their trucks or cars in the winter. I don't have a heated garage and it's below freezing out. I normally bucket wash in warmer months. Touchfree does not seem like it would get the dried caked salt off. The auto car wash seems like it would rub the salt along the paint causing scratches. Thoughts?

Thanks

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Just curious what people do to wash road salt off their trucks or cars in the winter. I don't have a heated garage and it's below freezing out. I normally bucket wash in warmer months. Touchfree does not seem like it would get the dried caked salt off. The auto car wash seems like it would rub the salt along the paint causing scratches. Thoughts?

Thanks
I go to a top quality auto wash. Usually get my truck washed a couple times a week. This time of year with all the snow, slush and salt it doesn't stay clean very long 😝

davidn0021

Reaction score
I would invest in a power washer. I'm waiting on the OG entry level kit to be available so I can buy it!

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I go to a top quality auto wash. Usually get my truck washed a couple times a week. This time of year with all the snow, slush and salt it doesn't stay clean very long 😝
How do you determine "top quality"? No issues with brushes causing scratches?

I have a pressure washer but cant use in winter.

Thanks again

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in the salt belt of western PA myself and I get a fluid film undercoat with corrosion inhibitor every year to help out. I hit the car wash at least once a week to rinse the underbelly.

Last edited:

Big White RAM

Reaction score

Thanks
Touch free washes are the only way I wash my Ram if I dont have time to hand wash. The wash near where I live is state of the art and has a few different levels of washes. I get the wash with the "Gatlin gun" side blaster and undercarriage wash during the winter. All in all, the final result is very good and nothing touches the vehicle.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to live in an apartment complex in Minneapolis that had underground heated parking. I would rinse down my car daily to get the buildup off. Fifteen years after moving from that complex, I was still able to get into the garage to hand wash my vehicle once a week. I found it amazing that they never changed the code to the garages.

I know you don't have that access, but that's how I used to do it.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I go to the car wash. Touchless Delta Sonic for reference. Can't stress about it - get it as clean as you can as often as you can and then get a dollup in the spring.

nburd

Reaction score
I have two local drive through washes with brushes. So far 15 washes and no scratches, and I check every time. Be sure to have a good wax on your vehicle, it helps too, I have "TW Seal 'N Shine". Both have an undercarriage spray but I also have a good coat of undercoating.

KRField

Reaction score
Look into starbrite salt off. I will dispense it through my foam cannon or a pump sprayer. Let it dwell to dissolve the salt then pressure wash it off. I hit the under side and fender wells also. Then do a rinseless wash, two bucket wash, or last resort drive it through a TOUCHLESS wash (only if it’s below 30 out). If I do touch less I bring waterless wash and wipe down afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look into starbrite salt off. I will dispense it through my foam cannon or a pump sprayer. Let it dwell to dissolve the salt then pressure wash it off. I hit the under side and fender wells also. Then do a rinseless wash, two bucket wash, or last resort drive it through a TOUCHLESS wash (only if it’s below 30 out). If I do touch less I bring waterless wash and wipe down afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're from my neck of the woods. If you see a Maximum Steel Crew Cab 4WD with a GD skull in the trailer hitch and a Leer cap on the back, that's me :)

I just wait for a warm enough day and grab the hose and knock the junk off myself. Free, cheap, easy. Had my Titan for years and still had nothing but a little surface rust underneath when I traded it in.

BobK

Reaction score
I have been going to the local self power wash. $5 each time. At least gets off most of the salt. Only bad thing about a Black Night Edition. Its dirty again by the time I drive 60 seconds down the road. :)

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been going to the local self power wash. $5 each time. At least gets off most of the salt. Only bad thing about a Black Night Edition. Its dirty again by the time I drive 60 seconds down the road. :)
I feel your pain! :cry:

BigD

Reaction score
I pay $20/mo for unlimited washes. They use some kind of rubber like what u make scuba gear out of on their brushes. Supposed to not scratch. I see those swirl marks like what people talk about with having a black truck, but no scratches. When I trade it in it's never going to make a difference. All they complain about is tires, rust, & mileage. Keep the miles down & you will get top trade value. No one looks that closely at your truck. Bottom line is it's a truck. If you use it for it's intended purpose, it will get scratches & even a few dings & dents. Every time you drive to Walmart you risk some idiot opening their car door into yours.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
How do you determine "top quality"? No issues with brushes causing scratches?

I have a pressure washer but cant use in winter.

Thanks again
The place I use is part of a high end auto care place. Is uses brushes but lots of soap and high pressure spray as well. You can see high pressure spray on the brushes too to keep them clean. I use it a couple times a week and no scratches at all.. just shiny clean😁

Users who are viewing this thread