5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washing and waxing the roof

stepbill

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section in the forum to ask this but I did not see a detailing section. I am 5'9" tall and this is the first crew cab that I have owned. How do you reach all of the areas on the roof to wash and wax?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use a Jet Pack:p In all seriousness, I use a ladder so that I can get up that high. Some portions you can get to by standing in the bed and reaching across the roof. You can also open the drivers side and passenger side doors and stand on the sill plate. Several ways to skin this cat!

knightro84

Reaction score
Not a lot of actual metal roof to wax with the pano, but, I'll either use a small ladder or the power side steps (if I remember to deploy before I start washing) to get the front half and will just stand in the bed to get the back half.

1fujifilm

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section in the forum to ask this but I did not see a detailing section. I am 5'9" tall and this is the first crew cab that I have owned. How do you reach all of the areas on the roof to wash and wax?

Yup, ladder; heck I even need one to wash the windshield and I am 6-2.

Bear

klail

Reaction score
Just make sure when you're washing that you're not wearing anything with buttons, zippers or a belt because you may need to slightly lean on the truck.

I use a Jet Pack:p In all seriousness, I use a ladder so that I can get up that high. Some portions you can get to by standing in the bed and reaching across the roof. You can also open the drivers side and passenger side doors and stand on the sill plate. Several ways to skin this cat!
Why don't you leave the cats out of this? They have enough to be getting on with.

Yup, ladder; heck I even need one to wash the windshield and I am 6-2.

Bear
I agree. I need a step ladder to even reach the middle of the windshield, too. This is definitely a tall truck.

klail

Reaction score
One more thing, if you're using a ladder, don't lean too far. It is definitely not worth a slip from a ladder. I know I have had to reach at times and feel like I my feet would slip out from under me at any second. I just do the best I can with with a longer towel for drying.

V8Spock

Reaction score
Just did this yesterday. Over 6 feet tall and still had to reach with a step ladder (no lift installed). I'm using the 8 foot ladder next time.

DM-SC

Reaction score
I stand in the bed of the truck and use an extendable handle with microfiber head to wash the roof.

Waxing, it's up the step ladder.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wash the roof standing in the bed with microfiber stick like moosem said but i use a portable step to wax the roof. I move the step from door to door to reach the entire roof.

1552407648563.png

Last edited:

JDBob35a

Reaction score
Costco 3 Step ladder here as well.
Keeping the pano roof clean is about to work me to death!

ClancyO

Reaction score
I'm 5'11" and I need a ladder to wax the hood, never mention the roof!! Speaking of - careful with the pressure on the hood - it's so big and thin that it's relatively easy to oil-can it..

Reactions: Vic

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Running shoes on (soft soles), open door where I'm working, stand on sill, get-er done, wipe footprints off sill when complete...I'm 5'9" too. I do like the looks of that door sill step though, never seen one of those before.

Users who are viewing this thread