5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warning to do it yourself oil changes may cause warranty denial

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a major update with very unexpected news. The dealer reached out to there district service rep who hasn’t returned calls for two weeks and pleaded his case by confirming how immaculate the truck was and that he had oil receipts. She changed the status to approved. He was literally in a gm dealership when he got the call. Special thanks to Michigan City Dodge in Indiana for caring and not giving up. He’s still agitated at the stress this has been but did say he would buy another Chrysler at some point. This is still a good wake up call to those of us who don’t trust and don’t have time to sit at a dealership for hours for an oil change. I’m glad this has a better ending but I will now be much more proactive in record keeping.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a major update with very unexpected news. The dealer reached out to there district service rep who hasn’t returned calls for two weeks and pleaded his case by confirming how immaculate the truck was and that he had oil receipts. She changed the status to approved. He was literally in a gm dealership when he got the call. Special thanks to Michigan City Dodge in Indiana for caring and not giving up. He’s still agitated at the stress this has been but did say he would buy another Chrysler at some point. This is still a good wake up call to those of us who don’t trust and don’t have time to sit at a dealership for hours for an oil change. I’m glad this has a better ending but I will now be much more proactive in record keeping.

That's great news. Yeah, maybe take pictures and video just in case :)

I personally keep all the oil filters of each of my oil changes, bagged in zip locks in the original oil filter boxes, on each box is a date a mileage of when they were taken. This is of course with all my receipts and records of each oil change.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I personally keep all the oil filters of each of my oil changes, bagged in zip locks in the original oil filter boxes, on each box is a date a mileage of when they were taken. This is of course with all my receipts and records of each oil change.

Sounds extreme, given what I've read around here, I don't blame you.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sounds extreme, given what I've read around here, I don't blame you.

A little for sure, but can't hurt, plus the boxes stack up neatly and don't take up my space on my garage shelf. I'll dump them after the 5yr/60K powertrain warranty is over, assuming I don't extend it.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I personally do video, having actually had to resort to a lawyer before. Phones and cloud backup make it easy nowadays.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fantastic news and glad it worked out without needing a lawyer.

Tika

Reaction score
i avoid going to dealerships at all costs......only if necessary, i change my own oil as well (its just faster and yeah cheaper) but going to dealership here in so cal is a half day......better things to do

7 or 8 new trucks over my lifetime ive never had a problem other than few recalls.....knock on wood

Paul dallas

Reaction score
I have a question since you are his friend and know of the oil changes, why did the main bearing fail at 42K? Was it a Gen 2 or 3? Failure of the mains if your overchanging the oil is concerning.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a question since you are his friend and know of the oil changes, why did the main bearing fail at 42K? Was it a Gen 2 or 3? Failure of the mains if your overchanging the oil is concerning.
They can't say for sure unless they took it apart. From what he said earlier they just saw flakes in the pan and left it at that. While there's a good chance it's a main bearing, that's not the only failure that causes shiny oil.

ldoh

Reaction score
It wasn't uncommon to see online forum user experience of catastrophic engine failures for the previous generation ecodiesel. So far the post 2020 ecodiesel (Gen 3) has been more reliable.

ldoh

Reaction score
Here's a failed ecodiesel engine tear down. The main bearings spun and let go. Many times it resulted in a punched hole through the case and an oil trail along the road side.

Paul dallas

Reaction score
Yes. That is why I was wondering if it is Gen 2 or Gen 3 that failed at 42K. Are we at the beginning of Gen 3 problems or is this in the past?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Gipraw

Reaction score
I personally do video, having actually had to resort to a lawyer before. Phones and cloud backup make it easy nowadays.

Yep. I started setting up the GoPro under the lift and videoing the whole thing for all my vehicles.

There is no difference between a receipt for oil and a filter from the parts store, and one from the oil change place. Neither prove the oil was changed. If they accept one, they should accept the other.

JimD007

Reaction score
I change my own oil and always have, except for the period of "free" maintenance on my BMW. The did not do the oil plug threads any favor and the little plastic piece that covered it went missing but I think they changed it. I used to keep receipts but my plan now is to just test a sample of the oil. Doesn't cost a lot and will provide concrete evidence that the oil in the engine was good at the time of the failure.

Magnuson Moss has been mentioned but the part that seems applicable is that there can be no "tie in" sales. You cannot legally sell a car (or truck) and require that people come back and pay you for all their service or you will deny the warranty. Patently illegal. Wouldn't take a judge long at all to declare the dealer at fault. For the dealer to successfully avoid the warranty claim THEY have to prove you caused the failure. They would have to pull an oil sample, send it off, and show from the results that was the cause of the failure. There are other ways you might damage the engine but unless they can prove it they have to honor the warranty. If they do not already have a lawyer when they get one, they will be told to pay up.

Stupid people can say stupid things but this is a clearcut legal point. Glad they finally stopped stonewalling.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This truck ia a new gen eco diesel. Unfortunately without a proper tear down, there is no real way to discern the root cause. The dealer has stated that Chrysler will not rebuild it, but will replace it with an entire new motor.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, the fact they deny warranty coverage for fleet vehicles with their own service records is completely irrelevant. Commercial vehicles do not have Magnuson Moss act protection.
The company I worked for bought as is/no warranty and saved on price for multi vehicle purchases.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The company I worked for bought as is/no warranty and saved on price for multi vehicle purchases.
That's the best way to do it if you have your own maintenance program. Manufacturers are free to require tie in sales to commercial users to maintain warranty.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It has taken over four months, but my friend finally has gotten his truck back. The eco diesels are on a back order, just like everything anymore. He’s happy to be driving it again. Said it feels like a Cadillac compared to the f-150 rental he has had. Hopefully engine number two lasts longer than 40k.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Probably because he used 5/30W oil instead of 0/30W oil! 😱

There are at least a dozen threads on this! 😆🤣😅😆😂

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That’s an excellent idea, I never thought of that. It would be indisputible when those are tested. Of course FCA would do no legwork, but it would be excellent proof to defend a claim. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread