5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warning to do it yourself oil changes may cause warranty denial

sep1006

Reaction score
This is the main reason why I now go to the stealer for oil changes. Don't want to have to deal with this issue should a problem arise. And the minor inconvenience is worth it in the long run to me.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I guess we are lucky. The oil changes at our local dealership are usually cheaper than anywhere else but Walmart. And we often have a coupon to get the oil change even cheaper. Doing this also insures we get all the free recalls and upgrades done. On one of our past cars, we got new stuff stuck on it after many of its oil changes. We didn't ask since it was all free. A hood latch here, a new airbag there, radio updates, etc. We joke that if they did this enough, it might be a whole new car after a while. :D

A lot of people who do their own oil changes isn't about saving money, it's about making sure its done right. I've seen a lot of instances where the dealer gets it wrong or performs it at a lower standard than I would.

I honestly wouldn't trust my dealership to wash my truck, much less turn a wrench on it, unless it's a engine replacement under warranty where I have no choice.

ntmid8r3

Reaction score
I would call chrysler customer service and get them involved.if you can provide receipts for the parts thats proof enough !!! or have the dealer your dealing with contact their parts and service rep and get copy of email from his response to make sure dealer isn't scamming you

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
A lot of people who do their own oil changes isn't about saving money, it's about making sure its done right. I've seen a lot of instances where the dealer gets it wrong or performs it at a lower standard than I would.

I honestly wouldn't trust my dealership to wash my truck, much less turn a wrench on it, unless it's a engine replacement under warranty where I have no choice.
mine stating what dealer?

Drewster

Reaction score

100% this

SD Rebel

Reaction score

My selling dealership and the ones closest to me have not given me any reason to trust them on the service side. I trusted my Ford dealer and love my Toyota dealer, but there is something about FCA dealerships that I don't like. They all seem to be slammed, probably because they weren't ready for all the RAM, Jeep and Charger/Challenger sales these last few years.

I've been turned away from oil changes because they had too many cars to work on, which I've never seen before in my 30 years of owning new vehicles. Their customer service reviews are the lowest in the industry Nationally, which makes sense from what I've seen so far. Neither of them could easily handle the floor mat recall on my truck, it was eye opening how low the customer service is on the service side is at FCA.

The only oil changes I do are for my RAM and Crossfire. Our Toyota C-HR and Lexus happily go to the dealership. The experiences I've had at service between RAM and Toyota is night and day. Where at RAM they barely could be bothered, the guys at Toyota go out of their way to help.

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last time I paid for a dealer oil change with a Chrysler product was at Larry H Miller Dodge in Tucson, AZ for my old Charger. They left the old oil filter on (I know because I have always used Wix XP filters, the same dirty Wix filter was on there when I got home).

My wife will sometimes bring her Honda into the dealer in Frisco, TX for service if I'm out of town on business and the maintenance minder comes up. Same thing, next time I changed the oil after their service there was a Wix XP filter still attached.

I've got 3-4 more examples between Vegas/Tucson/DFW, but I'd imagine you get the point. I no longer trust them to do the job. I don't necessarily blame the techs, but they are so slammed/rushed in a dealer shop they frequently miss things.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
My selling dealership and the ones closest to me have not given me any reason to trust them on the service side. I trusted my Ford dealer and love my Toyota dealer, but there is something about FCA dealerships that I don't like. They all seem to be slammed, probably because they weren't ready for all the RAM, Jeep and Charger/Challenger sales these last few years.

I've been turned away from oil changes because they had too many cars to work on, which I've never seen before in my 30 years of owning new vehicles. Their customer service reviews are the lowest in the industry Nationally, which makes sense from what I've seen so far. Neither of them could easily handle the floor mat recall on my truck, it was eye opening how low the customer service is on the service side is at FCA.

The only oil changes I do are for my RAM and Crossfire. Our Toyota C-HR and Lexus happily go to the dealership.
there are 8 dealers and you tried them all?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
there are 8 dealers and you tried them all?

I tried 3 of them so far, and they all seem to have the same attitude and attention to detail. I rather work on my own truck than drive to the other 5 that are 30 miles away from me or more. I shouldn't have to go beyond the first dealership or two to be honest to get basic customer service.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score

Arkansas is a different kind of place, I guess. In Central Arkansas, it's very hard to get a good deal on a new vehicle, but the service departments at the two CDJR dealerships we use have been nothing but outstanding so far. And by "so far" I mean over the last 10 years. On the Scat Pack, I wouldn't let anyone but the dealership even change a tire. Of course, I prefer my own work best. But then again, I have a very high opinion of myself.

Here's how I see it. CDJR Dealership service departments exist to endear the dealership to current CDJR owners so they will come to that dealership to buy their next new vehicle. These service departments are set up to primarily do warranty work for which they charge far more than the average private shop rate in my area. They are supposed to break even. The profit is gained by new car sales. I believe the problems come when shady dealership owners and mangers attempt to run their service departments as profit centers and try to maximize those profits instead of endearing the customer to the dealership so they buy their next new car there.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Arkansas is a different kind of place, I guess. In Central Arkansas, it's very hard to get a good deal on a new vehicle, but the service departments at the two CDJR dealerships we use have been nothing but outstanding so far. And by "so far" I mean over the last 10 years. On the Scat Pack, I wouldn't let anyone but the dealership even change a tire. Of course, I prefer my own work best. But then again, I have a very high opinion of myself.

Here's how I see it. CDJR Dealership service departments exist to endear the dealership to current CDJR owners so they will come to that dealership to buy their next new vehicle. These service departments are set up to primarily do warranty work for which they charge far more than the average private shop rate in my area. They are supposed to break even. The profit is gained by new car sales. I believe the problem comes with shady dealership owners and mangers attempt to run their service departments as profit centers and try to maximize those profits instead of endearing the customer to the dealership so they buy their next new car there.
Literally no dealership runs on that model, they would go out of business. The service/parts departments are the biggest source of profit for dealers....like as in half of total profit. This is universal whether you're talking a CDJR or BMW dealer. The next largest source are the financing kickbacks and any dealer add-ons (whether optional or not...this includes things like extended warranties). The actual sale of new cars does not generate big direct profit numbers when looking at a dealer's overall business.

Last edited:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always changed my own oil and have a good relationship with my dealer so don't think it would be an issue. At the same time, I think if the engine blew, I would take the opportunity to upgrade. Ditch the MDS, throw in a cam, a custom tune, and call it a day.
Heck, it'll be hard not to do that with the engine running
Literally no dealership runs on that model, they would go out of business. The service/parts departments are the biggest source of profit for dealers....like as in half of total profit. This is universal whether you're talking a CDJR or BMW dealer. The next largest source are the financing kickbacks and any dealer add-ons (whether optional or not...this includes things like extended warranties). The actual sale of new cars does not generate big profit numbers when looking at a dealer's overall business.
Additionally, dealers usually make more money on used cars. New cars don't generate a ton of profit. They'll take the hit on a new car with the hope that you'll bring it back for all the service and make it up there.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Literally no dealership runs on that model, they would go out of business. The service/parts departments are the biggest source of profit for dealers....like as in half of total profit. This is universal whether you're talking a CDJR or BMW dealer. The next largest source are the financing kickbacks and any dealer add-ons (whether optional or not...this includes things like extended warranties). The actual sale of new cars does not generate big direct profit numbers when looking at a dealer's overall business.
I flew a private jet for a big dealer in Phoenix and this is spot on.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
It must be different where I live. What makes this different in the different markets? There's likely too many variables to know and each market is different. Maybe the fact that the same car I can buy in the Dallas - Fort Worth areas will often be $5,000 to $7,000 more in the Little Rock area has something to do with it. Why do I have great service department experiences while others don't? Maybe it's because the profitability of new vehicles is higher where I live and service is designed almost solely to support it as I've described. Sales people and sales managers come and go. But we learn the names of the people that service our cars.

You be the judge. All I know is what I've seen and experienced over the decades. Your mileage may vary. 😉

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It must be different where I live. What makes this different in the different markets? There's likely too many variables to know and each market is different. Maybe the fact that the same car I can buy in the Dallas - Fort Worth areas will often be $5,000 to $7,000 more in the Little Rock area has something to do with it. Why do I have great service department experiences while others don't? Maybe it's because the profitability of new vehicles is higher where I live and service is designed almost solely to support it as I've described. Sales people and sales managers come and go. But we learn the names of the people that service our cars.

You be the judge. All I know is what I've seen and experienced over the decades. Your mileage may vary. 😉
You can have great service department experiences and they can still be extremely profitable (see Toyota). I'm just saying your idea that service departments simply break even in ANY dealership is asinine, that is the case nowhere. If you really believe that to be the case I have some beachfront property in the Mojave I'd like to sell you 🤣

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
You can have great service department experiences and they can still be extremely profitable (see Toyota). I'm just saying your idea that service departments simply break even in ANY dealership is asinine, that is the case nowhere. If you really believe that to be the case I have some beachfront property in the Mojave I'd like to sell you 🤣

You will need to cough up that lake front desert property because I know many dealership service departments that don't make any money. But they help sell new cars as I've described and that is why they exist. Plus, I'm ready to ski in that beautiful desert sun. 😎

1631209262351.png

Here's my point. The car industry seems to drive new car dealerships to be predatory and deceitful. When you put good people in a system that rewards corruption, you get newly corrupted people. You can't and shouldn't trust any new car dealership located in a town with more than 3,000 people. But you can trust them to do what is good for themselves. When the service department is structured to support new vehicle sales, then the interests of the service department and customer aligns. Good service brings good experiences which brings more new car sales which generate profits. But if the service department is used as a profit center, then the interest of the dealership and customer do not align. Due to the predatory nature of the industry, there will be a tendency to put service department profits before customer experience.

If someone at a dealership tells you that they concentrate on service department profits and not new car sells, they are either not being honest, being lied to themselves (very common), and/or they have a service department that cannot even be trusted to change your oil as the OP has described. :cautious:

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Who in their right mind would deal with Southern California traffic (I know it's not LA, but SD also sucks in my experience) for an oil change beyond the few closest dealers?
everyone has to live some place.
I do not knock where you live and i would request you do the same.
i traveled the US in 2019 22 states, and traffic was just as bad in places because they only have one freeway. people have to live some place, people live where they do because they like it.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
You will need to cough up that lake front desert property because I know many dealership service departments that don't make any money. But they help sell new cars as I've described and that is why they exist. Plus, I'm ready to ski in that beautiful desert sun. 😎

Here's my point. The car industry seems to drive new car dealerships to be predatory and deceitful. When you put good people in a system that rewards corruption, you get newly corrupted people. You can't and shouldn't trust any new car dealership located in a town with more than 3,000 people. But you can trust them to do what is good for themselves. When the service department is structured to support new vehicle sales, then the interests of the service department and customer aligns. Good service brings good experiences which brings more new car sales which generate profits. But if the service department is used as a profit center, then the interest of the dealership and customer do not align. Due to the predatory nature of the industry, there will be a tendency to put service department profits before customer experience.

If someone at a dealership tells you that they concentrate on service department profits and not new car sells, they are either not being honest, being lied to themselves (very common), and/or they have a service department that cannot even be trusted to change your oil as the OP has described. :cautious:
why do you not believe what people post? :)

Users who are viewing this thread