5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warning, install PPF on your front camera

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sometime today, a rock apparently hit my front facing park assist camera and cracked the plastic lens.
Camera (68144068AD) is ~$300 and I certain isn't warrantied for this.
When I replace it, I'm putting some spare paint protection film on it hoping that will give it a little more protection.
If yours isn't damaged "yet", I'd do the same, it doesn't seem like the plastic lens can be replaced either.

20211116_122547.jpg

20211116_122618.jpg

20211116_122631.jpg

vincentw56

Reaction score
You can get the camera cheaper by going on eBay and buying a mirror with the camera in it. Surround view uses the same cameras all around. You could get a used mirror for maybe $150 or less.

BowDown

Reaction score
You can get the camera cheaper by going on eBay and buying a mirror with the camera in it. Surround view uses the same cameras all around. You could get a used mirror for maybe $150 or less.

I though it was a different part number? The rear camera is 150 new but has a different part number also

Edit, nope, you're right. mopar parts giant list all three as the same. I'll buy a couple mirrors

Last edited:

HAL9001

Reaction score
PPF is soft plastic, it guards against scratches and very minor impacts but probably would have not prevented damage from a direct hit by a sizable rock. Also, some PPF may not be optically clear enough for camera use and it might be difficult to get such a tiny piece to adhere properly.

You can certainly try it, but PPF was not designed for this purpose.

The odds of a direct hit by a rock to the camera lens are very low. The odds of it happening to you twice are even lower.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my last 3 cars i own since 2009 all came with all surround camera never cracked by rock.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
whoa,....I would check with dealer service dept before putting anything on that lens. Like Hal9000 said, it may very well throw the whole camera off. Most of these radar/sonar cameras can't be covered in any way, with anything or they don't work.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
Does Any one know of the part number for the whole camera wiring included? I’d love to add a front facing camera to my truck

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ouch. 😖 Bad luck with that one.

I get one freebie on this one if it ever happens to mine since I have a whole spare grill w/camera in the shed. The other guy's insurance paid and I got to keep all the replaced parts.

vincentw56

Reaction score
whoa,....I would check with dealer service dept before putting anything on that lens. Like Hal9000 said, it may very well throw the whole camera off. Most of these radar/sonar cameras can't be covered in any way, with anything or they don't work.
Well, that camera is nothing more than a camera. Doesn't do anything more than show a front view. The most it will do is make it less clear.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, that camera is nothing more than a camera. Doesn't do anything more than show a front view. The most it will do is make it less clear.
ok, as long as it is only for viewing I think you are right, I stand corrected. The ones that function as collision avoidance, or adaptive cruise, can't be touched though.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
ok, as long as it is only for viewing I think you are right, I stand corrected. The ones that function as collision avoidance, or adaptive cruise, can't be touched though.
None of the cameras on these trucks are used for anything other than viewing. The sensors you're talking about are located elsewhere in the truck. The cameras are only cameras.

HAL9001

Reaction score
None of the cameras on these trucks are used for anything other than viewing. The sensors you're talking about are located elsewhere in the truck. The cameras are only cameras.
That's mostly correct, radar sensors are much better and simpler than cameras for detecting objects and avoiding collisions.

However, there is a camera (i.e. vision system) in the windshield in back of the rearview mirror for the LaneSense system.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's mostly correct, radar sensors are much better and simpler than cameras for detecting objects and avoiding collisions.

However, there is a camera (i.e. vision system) in the windshield in back of the rearview mirror for the LaneSense system.
Not sure how what I said is "mostly correct". LaneSense system uses a camera. It's just a camera. No radar involved with that either.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Not sure how what I said is "mostly correct". LaneSense system uses a camera. It's just a camera. No radar involved with that either.
You wrote that none of the cameras on these trucks are used for anything other than viewing. The Lanesense camera is part of a digital vision system and not used for viewing. Its output is processed by computer hardware and software.

Radar does proximity sensing to avoid collisions, but it can't sense lines on a road. Thus a vision system is used for that. It's the one camera that is not used for viewing but rather for data processing.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You wrote that none of the cameras on these trucks are used for anything other than viewing. The Lanesense camera is part of a digital vision system and not used for viewing. Its output is processed by computer hardware and software.

Radar does proximity sensing to avoid collisions, but it can't sense lines on a road. Thus a vision system is used for that. It's the one camera that is not used for viewing but rather for data processing.
Fair enough, I'll concede that. I guess the point I was making was in response to what OldMarine was implying. And that none of the cameras have anything to do with collision avoidance or ACC.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Fair enough, I'll concede that. I guess the point I was making was in response to what OldMarine was implying. And that none of the cameras have anything to do with collision avoidance or ACC.
ACC can use radar, camera(s), or both. Some even use lasers. But offhand I don't know exactly which RAM uses.

Radar is very good at accurately determining distances between vehicles, but it's not so good at knowing if what it senses is actually a vehicle. A vision system is not as good at accurately determining distances between vehicles but it's very good at pattern recognition. Thus, unlike radar, it can easily distinguish a vehicle from a road sign or a bridge, or many other objects it sees. It also can be used to determine which lane you and the cars ahead of you are in which is important with ACC on multiple lane highways. So, the best ACC systems use both radar and the windshield camera(s) to better determine what is going on in front of a vehicle. The 5th Gen RAM's ACC is superb, so if I had to guess, I'd say it was using the windshield camera in combination with radar, but this is just a guess.

More info here:

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
ACC can use radar, camera(s), or both. Some even use lasers. But offhand I don't know exactly which RAM uses.

Radar is very good at accurately determining distances between vehicles, but it's not so good at knowing if what it senses is actually a vehicle. A vision system is not as good at accurately determining distances between vehicles but it's very good at pattern recognition. Thus, unlike radar, it can easily distinguish a vehicle from a road sign or a bridge, or many other objects it sees. It also can be used to determine which lane you and the cars ahead of you are in which is important with ACC on multiple lane highways. So, the best ACC systems use both radar and the windshield camera(s) to better determine what is going on in front of a vehicle. The 5th Gen RAM's ACC is superb, so if I had to guess, I'd say it was using the windshield camera in combination with radar, but this is just a guess.

More info here:
Ram uses both Radar and Camera. There is a very detailed explanation in the service manual. I've read it and it is impressive. On another note, cameras can do all of it and better than radar or lidar. Tesla only uses cameras. Comma can use only cameras in certain vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/