5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanting Pulsar, but nervous...

cobrar97

Reaction score
I just took delivery of my Ram Limited this past week. Now that's it's all cleaned up and accessories installed, I hit the road this weekend. Coming from a 2016 F150 Limited w/ Ecoboost and tune (450hp / 475tq), I must say that the Hemi feels like a dog to me. I know that alot simply has to do with how the computer is setup for general, average driving. I've read all about the Pulsar, which sounds like it would give me the drive-feel that I'm used to. The thing is...I've seen quite a few posts from people saying it caused issues with their vehicles (safety systems not working, going into limp mode, etc, etc). I think it's odd that this would happen to some trucks but not others. Does anyone thing the Pulsar is an UN-sound unit and not a good idea? I've had tunes on about every vehicle I've had over the years, but I certainly don't want issues with a brand new $68k truck. Any thoughts of why NOT to do the Pulsar? Or an comments to make me feel better about moving forward with it?

Jagtyson

Reaction score
I just took delivery of my Ram Limited this past week. Now that's it's all cleaned up and accessories installed, I hit the road this weekend. Coming from a 2016 F150 Limited w/ Ecoboost and tune (450hp / 475tq), I must say that the Hemi feels like a dog to me. I know that alot simply has to do with how the computer is setup for general, average driving. I've read all about the Pulsar, which sounds like it would give me the drive-feel that I'm used to. The thing is...I've seen quite a few posts from people saying it caused issues with their vehicles (safety systems not working, going into limp mode, etc, etc). I think it's odd that this would happen to some trucks but not others. Does anyone thing the Pulsar is an UN-sound unit and not a good idea? I've had tunes on about every vehicle I've had over the years, but I certainly don't want issues with a brand new $68k truck. Any thoughts of why NOT to do the Pulsar? Or an comments to make me feel better about moving forward with it?
Since January 2019 I have had the same pulsar installed on two different new Rams and each time there were no issues and the performance change is amazing. My first Ram was an ivory white laramie with 3.92 rear that was bought back by the dealer for severe paint mismatch. The second and current is a Granite Laramie with 3:21 rear. Neither truck has had any adverse issues from the pulsar...only greatness. I mainly run in Tow mode because performance mode is just too much starting from a stop.. like a rocket ship.

RamRebel19

Reaction score
Nothing other than your own experience will relax your mind on this, but from my experience, I love my Pulsar. I have a 6" lift and am on 35s currently. Without my Pulsar I was seeing about 12-14 mpg on a good day. With the Pulsar in Eco Mode/MDS off, I get about 18-20 under good conditions. Others have said they get better fuel efficiency out of Tow Mode but I haven't delved into it yet. I will say it definitely opens the truck up very well in Performance Mode. However, Performance Mode is pretty useless offroad or in the rain. Tires will just spin forever. I know others have had issues with bad Pulsar units being shipped but in the 5 or 6 months that mine has been installed, I haven't had any issues or dummy lights pop up. I have even taken it to my local dealership's service center with it installed and they had no issues with it being on the truck since it is "post ecm" and nothing is stored on the actual computer of the truck. They are very mod friendly at my dealership though so your experiences may vary.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A quick question about disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery to increase responsiveness. I saw posted somewhere on either the taser or pulsar threads that if you disconnect the negative terminal from the battery for 15 minutes and reconnected you can reset the responsiveness setting that was applied from the factory and increase the responsiveness. I do not want to order a pulsar as I already have the taser and know that they do conflict a little bit. Can anyone confirm that disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes actually does make a difference? Also when you disconnect the battery and reconnected do you lose all your preset settings on the stereo specifically asking about the 12-in Uconnect where there's tons of presets for the radio XM and navigation. Would like to do it as it's an easy thing if it actually works.

LKF

Reaction score
I can answer your question on disconnecting the battery to install Pulsar. I took about 1/2 hour to install it and when reconnected, I had ALL presets working as before. I have the 12" screen. I usually drive around in Tow mode as I haven't filled up with 91 to try Performance mode fully. Played with Performance mode but kept it under 4500 RPM: feels good!!

kenthelawnguy

Reaction score
all i can say is that i love my pulsar. i have had 0 problems with it and it still puts a smile on my face every day.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
i had my pulsar on for about 9k miles. its a cool tool. works as advertised. i took it off because i had to take truck in for recalls. i gained over 1 mpg with it off over the last 3 weeks. I decided to sell the pulsar last week. my ram is my daily driver and i found myself mostly using eco mode so no really need for it. performance mode is cool at first but its stil a 5500lb turd to be honest.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Congrats on the new truck!

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Everyone qualifies. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 90 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Link to form:
https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Everyone qualifies. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 90 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Link to form:
https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf
Not sure why you’re saying that everyone qualifies. The form says you must have a non-FCA vehicle in your household in order to qualify.

Am I missing something?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have had a Pulsar for months now. Trouble free and so much fun I only drive in performance mode. There’s a post in another thread today of a video of before and after dyno pulls and the Pulsar added about 50 HP.

jastevenson

Reaction score
F150 is a very light truck and the turbo has monster midrange torque, so short of strapping on a turbo, the Hemi will feel slow no matter what you do.

Saints

Reaction score
A quick question about disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery to increase responsiveness. I saw posted somewhere on either the taser or pulsar threads that if you disconnect the negative terminal from the battery for 15 minutes and reconnected you can reset the responsiveness setting that was applied from the factory and increase the responsiveness. I do not want to order a pulsar as I already have the taser and know that they do conflict a little bit. Can anyone confirm that disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes actually does make a difference? Also when you disconnect the battery and reconnected do you lose all your preset settings on the stereo specifically asking about the 12-in Uconnect where there's tons of presets for the radio XM and navigation. Would like to do it as it's an easy thing if it actually works.
I’ve seen that thread where people say they noticed improved throttle response from disconnecting the battery and I have noticed no difference at all doing it. As far losing presets I have not, the only thing that did change was my theme setting and once changed back it remained. I also have the Tazer and went with the pedal commander for that very reason.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure why you’re saying that everyone qualifies. The form says you must have a non-FCA vehicle in your household in order to qualify.

Am I missing something?

No you are correct. I should clarify that point. It can be anyone in your household that owns a non FCA vehicle, so I’m guessing they will want a copy of the reg or insurance showing the same address. So you’re right, that means not everyone will qualify. I get a little ahead of myself wanting people to get a rebate.

acour765

Reaction score

Link to form:
Thank you for posting this! Got approved just waiting for the check. Would have had no idea if you didn’t post it!

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Love The Pulsar, It feels like 430-430 Hp now, hopefully it will give you most of what you lost from your last truck. No issues with me and the wife loves the way it drives.

Users who are viewing this thread