5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to be a Rebel owner!

ThorJeep

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am a off-road enthusiast: '85 Jeep CJ7 (28yr ownership, been through the Rubicon) , 2010 FJ Cruiser (13yr ownership)
Looking at FS trucks to tow my trailer and jeep (separately).
Test drove a Rebel and fell in love with it, much better than a '99 Ram 1500 I had years ago :)

So, far what I am looking for, but I fear it is a unicorn, Dodge may have not made these readily available:
5.7L
Tow Package
Air Suspension
Sunroof (First one I really liked)
33Gal Tank

What are your thoughts? It seems Air Suspension and Sunroof are pretty rare, with a tow package, it is a trifecta.
What would you go without? Any personal experience with problems of any of these options?

Thank You, and hope to join you soon.

Scott

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am a off-road enthusiast: '85 Jeep CJ7 (28yr ownership, been through the Rubicon) , 2010 FJ Cruiser (13yr ownership)
Looking at FS trucks to tow my trailer and jeep (separately).
Test drove a Rebel and fell in love with it, much better than a '99 Ram 1500 I had years ago :)

So, far what I am looking for, but I fear it is a unicorn, Dodge may have not made these readily available:
5.7L
Tow Package
Air Suspension
Sunroof (First one I really liked)
33Gal Tank

What are your thoughts? It seems Air Suspension and Sunroof are pretty rare, with a tow package, it is a trifecta.
What would you go without? Any personal experience with problems of any of these options?

Thank You, and hope to join you soon.

Scott
Are you looking to order one, or buy off the lot? If buying off the lot, are you wanting a 2023 or a 2024?

ThorJeep

Reaction score
Are you looking to order one, or buy off the lot? If buying off the lot, are you wanting a 2023 or a 2024?
I don't think there is remarkable difference between 23 and 24. My preference is lightly used, off the lot, order 2023 if still possible.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think there is remarkable difference between 23 and 24. My preference is lightly used, off the lot, order 2023 if still possible.
Can't order a 2023, that window closed several weeks ago. If you want to take one off the lot, it'll be hit and miss. Or you could order a 2024 with exactly what you want. There have been several of them made already for 2024 (that include all the things you listed above).

ThorJeep

Reaction score
Can't order a 2023, that window closed several weeks ago. If you want to take one off the lot, it'll be hit and miss. Or you could order a 2024 with exactly what you want. There have been several of them made already for 2024 (that include all the things you listed above).
I guess you work for Dodge or something similar?

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All of what you aked for is pretty standard on rebels. You just need to look around to get the one you want.

spyder

Reaction score
Can you get the 33 gallon tank with the little short Rebel bed? I remember reading somewhere here that the bigger fuel tank was only going to be available for orders, not for trucks going to dealers that don't have a deposit down on them yet. But I could remember that wrong.

Davidbt

Reaction score
Can you get the 33 gallon tank with the little short Rebel bed? I remember reading somewhere here that the bigger fuel tank was only going to be available for orders, not for trucks going to dealers that don't have a deposit down on them yet. But I could remember that wrong.
The way Ram is going these days, that sounds about right 👍

mynameisante

Reaction score
I was about to order a new Ram with those options, and I luckily found a used one for half the price after one last look at used trucks before stepping into the dealer. It took me seven months of searching to find it

Used ones are out there, just gotta input those parameters

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Of course you can get a 33 gallon tank with the "little Rebel bed". It's no different from any of the other trims (Laramie, Limited, Bighorn, etc.) that have 5'-7" beds.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're looking for a Rebel with those options to tow, I'd reconsider some of them. I have basically what you want, but with coil suspension and the 26 gallon tank. My payload sticker is 1500 pounds if I remember right. Both of those options will lower your payload more, then you add in everything else. Your effective payload will probably be around 1000-1100 pounds (with you in the truck) if you're looking for all those options for a tow vehicle. Wanted to get this in before the rest say "Oh but it'll still handle it." Yeah, yeah... we know it can, but it's not legal.

When I got mine I was looking at Rebels for a year. I didn't want to wait that long, but I didn't want to order, waited for deals, wasn't in a hurry, etc. Couldn't find one with sunroof, coil suspension, and 33 gallon tank so I went with the 26. Average 16-17 mpg mixed driving with no towing.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your effective payload will probably be around 1000-1100 pounds (with you in the truck) if you're looking for all those options for a tow vehicle.
Payload capacities don't include the driver. So the available capacity after accounting for the driver could be less than 1,000 lbs. The '22 Rebel I ordered (and didn't take) was rated for 1,178 lbs.

spyder

Reaction score
Of course you can get a 33 gallon tank with the "little Rebel bed". It's no different from any of the other trims (Laramie, Limited, Bighorn, etc.) that have 5'-7" beds.
None of the configurations I was trying to order over the summer were available with the 33 gallon tank in a 2023 model, although in the 2022's and earlier they were. :unsure:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Payload capacities don't include the driver. So the available capacity after accounting for the driver could be less than 1,000 lbs. The '22 Rebel I ordered (and didn't take) was rated for 1,178 lbs.
Yeah that's what I was saying. If he gets those extra options and his payload is in the 1350 range, depending on what he puts in the truck along with himself it'll be in the 1000 +/- range. I am fortunately not a big guy at 175 pounds, but I also carry a lot of other stuff in my truck daily as well as added wheels/air bags/other stuff. I'm probably close to 1000 pounds of payload when I'm in the truck after starting at 1500.

Just something to keep in mind if this will be your tow vehicle.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RE: Payload it all depends on what you want out of a truck.
If you are buying a truck for the sole, or even main, purpose of towing 5k+, a Rebel, nor probably any loaded out Ram 1500, will not be ideal.

This is not a pulling issue, its a suspension issue, and mostly just an on-paper one at that.

But with that limited capacity comes a lot of benefits to ride and daily livability.

So if you are going to daily this thing and not be a frequent tower, the aforementioned issues are probably livable, and IMO worth it - I will not again daily a Half Ton other than a Ram.

Finally, if you are going to avidly off road this Rebel... IDK about the air suspension.

First debatable consideration is how robust that system is for off-road use. To be fair, you never really hear of issues from off roading these air systems. But in principle it gives me pause.

But second and more straight forward, if you plan to do any off-roady mods to the suspension, your aftermarket options are extremely limited, and mostly cosmetic.

ThorJeep

Reaction score
If you're looking for a Rebel with those options to tow, I'd reconsider some of them. I have basically what you want, but with coil suspension and the 26 gallon tank. My payload sticker is 1500 pounds if I remember right. Both of those options will lower your payload more, then you add in everything else. Your effective payload will probably be around 1000-1100 pounds (with you in the truck) if you're looking for all those options for a tow vehicle. Wanted to get this in before the rest say "Oh but it'll still handle it." Yeah, yeah... we know it can, but it's not legal.

When I got mine I was looking at Rebels for a year. I didn't want to wait that long, but I didn't want to order, waited for deals, wasn't in a hurry, etc. Couldn't find one with sunroof, coil suspension, and 33 gallon tank so I went with the 26. Average 16-17 mpg mixed driving with no towing.
I will be towing ~4k max, and that is the Jeep which will have no tongue weight. I won't be carrying 1k loads in the bed, if I want that I am renting a trailer and not going to be draggin a$$ :)

Thanks for all the responses, gives me hope. I don't want a new one. I just test drove a '23 with air suspension (Yes, I want) and HUD. Hud is neat and I wouldn't kick it out of the cab, though I know it is going to be a '23+ year.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will be towing ~4k max, and that is the Jeep which will have no tongue weight. I won't be carrying 1k loads in the bed, if I want that I am renting a trailer and not going to be draggin a$$ :)

Thanks for all the responses, gives me hope. I don't want a new one. I just test drove a '23 with air suspension (Yes, I want) and HUD. Hud is neat and I wouldn't kick it out of the cab, though I know it is going to be a '23+ year.
You just mentioned towing so I wanted to make sure you had that in mind. Sounds like you know what you're doing. A lot of guys think their fully loaded 1500's can tow/haul 2500-3500 loads.

Users who are viewing this thread