5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want black badges? No problem!

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If done correctly Plasti Dip will look really good, I’ve used it on several different vehicles. Btw, you should’ve done your tailgate latch while doing the Ram head badge.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
If done correctly Plasti Dip will look really good, I’ve used it on several different vehicles. Btw, you should’ve done your tailgate latch while doing the Ram head badge.
I read up on how to do it properly beforehand. Applied 10 coats and when very light on each one with about 10 minutes of dry time in between. Actually I did notice that handle afterwards. Adding it to the list.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Doors done. Next day off in doing some of the grill and the hood emblems

Attachments

• IMG_20200322_190634085.jpg
    IMG_20200322_190634085.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 191

Jayturk

Reaction score
I just checked the prices, astronomical. I'll give the Plasti-dip a shot, I did a set of wheels and they held up well. I really need to black out that chrome R-A-M on the door.

Last edited:

jermball623

Reaction score
Yep. Did mine the first week I bought it. Holds up fine to washes. I also did 6 to 7 coats on them.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plasti dip will eventually fade/tear/peel even with a ton of coats. If you're serious about wanting it to stay black (forever), I'd recommend rattle can bed-liner.

Spray on plasti dip also does not hold up well to things like handles where you're grabbing it a lot. The actual dipping type does, but the spray on eventually gets pulled off. I did the handles on my old truck, and it was worn off after about 3 months.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Did you just mask around the letters, looks great!
taped with paper about 2 inches around the letters making a rectangle box. Giving it some extra surface area to peel off is better than taping off right next to the letters.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Plasti dip will eventually fade/tear/peel even with a ton of coats. If you're serious about wanting it to stay black (forever), I'd recommend rattle can bed-liner.

Spray on plasti dip also does not hold up well to things like handles where you're grabbing it a lot. The actual dipping type does, but the spray on eventually gets pulled off. I did the handles on my old truck, and it was worn off after about 3 months.
I'm sure many factors come into play when looking at how long they will last and hold up. I know someone that had it last over a year.

Stony0604

Reaction score
taped with paper about 2 inches around the letters making a rectangle box. Giving it some extra surface area to peel off is better than taping off right next to the letters.
How hard was it to tape in the middle of the "R" and "A"?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How hard was it to tape in the middle of the "R" and "A"?
You don't tape right next to the letters, or inside them. You just tape a box around them, then when you're done spraying the plasti dip you just peel it off the truck. For inside the letters, if you take a toothpick and LIGHTLY peel one corner until you can grab it with some tweezers you won't damage the paint.

Stony0604

Reaction score
You don't tape right next to the letters, or inside them. You just tape a box around them, then when you're done spraying the plasti dip you just peel it off the truck. For inside the letters, if you take a toothpick and LIGHTLY peel one corner until you can grab it with some tweezers you won't damage the paint.
Thanks, i'm watching some videos on it now...wow i had no idea it worked like that. I know what I'm doing next haha

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plasti dip is great, and it's fun to use because of the colors, but I just wasn't satisfied with the long term quality. The badges on my old truck lasted about 1 year before they faded, and then another 6 months to a year before they started peeling/chipping away showing the chrome underneath. I went with the spray on Herculiner bed liner after that, and it still looked new after 2 years. After I saw how well that worked on my badges, I did every single piece of non-painted plastic trim on my Titan: grille, badges, emblems, tailgate cover, wiper cowl, wiper arms, fender flares. The plastic literally looked like the "wipe on plastic renew" commercials.

My friend did his wheels, and they lasted about 6 months before fading/tearing since they see a lot of road debris/wear. He eventually got them powder coated.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Peeling is the most fun part! Wooden toothpick to get in-between letters and small areas that don't peel off with the excess. @LaxDfns15 I might have to check that product out. I want to do the grill but am worries about longevity with bugs and washing methods.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Peeling is the most fun part! Wooden toothpick to get in-between letters and small areas that don't peel off with the excess. @LaxDfns15 I might have to check that product out. I want to do the grill but am worries about longevity with bugs and washing methods.
No worries with longevity doing a grill, I did my V Coupe and it held up fine for 3 years and still looked great up until I foolishly sold it. You’ll either have to remove it to do it or block off the backside to prevent overspray from getting into the engine.
923489B9-CF14-494B-99B1-8FAAC2AA6CBC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread