5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walk-away locking?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Do these trucks have walk-away locking? When you close the door, it senses the fob is nearby and as you walk away it'll auto lock the doors (with audio and visual indicators)

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s really my only beef with my truck. Why in the world it doesn’t have this feature is ridiculous, every vehicle I’ve owned for quite some time had this feature. I forget to lock mine all the time still as I can’t break the walk a way lock habit.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
It’s really my only beef with my truck. Why in the world it doesn’t have this feature is ridiculous, every vehicle I’ve owned for quite some time had this feature. I forget to lock mine all the time still as I can’t break the walk a way lock habit.
I'm so used to it that I'm afraid I'll leave it unlocked at some point. I think the Fords I was looking at don't have it either.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm so used to it that I'm afraid I'll leave it unlocked at some point. I think the Fords I was looking at don't have it either.
I’ve only driven caddies for the last number of years, I just assumed every vehicle had auto locks.

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Not sure you are aware, but there still are communities in America where we don’t lock our trucks! Heck, I’ve never even had a key to the house either. It’d drive the kids and friends and family nuts if they had to carry keys or ring the doorbell every time they came home or stopped by. If my truck auto-locked, I’d go crazy. 1/2 the time I go to get something out of the truck, I don’t have the key fob on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

derp

Reaction score
I'm that guy who leaves it unlocked. my wife keeps a fob on the nightstand and locks my car regularly. I also use the uconnect lock when I am away from the truck fob range.

derp

Reaction score
Not sure you are aware, but there still are communities in America where we don’t lock our trucks! Heck, I’ve never even had a key to the house either. It’d drive the kids and friends and family nuts if they had to carry keys or ring the doorbell every time they came home or stopped by. If my truck auto-locked, I’d go crazy. 1/2 the time I go to get something out of the truck, I don’t have the key fob on me.

it would be a treat to live in that world. I don't, but it sounds nice.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score

I don't live there. I'd like the option to decide if I want it on or not.

derp

Reaction score
back to OP land.

we could make an aftermarket power off+x seconds mod with off the shelf component electronics. is it worth it? when I say is it worth it I mean how many folks would actually take it up if we fabbed up a project kit and code/wiring diagram?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Also, my last couple of rides turned on the interior lights when you shut the engine (before you open the door) as well as having "walk-away auto-lock".

I've just kinda developed a "muscle memory habit" of pushing the lock button on the door 2X (I have single lock horn turned off), so I know it's locked. I can also see the truck on my security cams, so I'm I'm wondering, I just hit the fob and see the lights flash.

This is one of those little - "just when you thought they thought of EVERYTHING" things. Not nearly as irritating as the USELESS LANE KEEPER/ASSIST - but close...

Rick

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
back to OP land.

we could make an aftermarket power off+x seconds mod with off the shelf component electronics. is it worth it? when I say is it worth it I mean how many folks would actually take it up if we fabbed up a project kit and code/wiring diagram?
No need to make anything. A couple lines of code would suffice. That's the beauty of a software defined system...you just add in what you need when you need it. If they would open the API or offer an SDK the aftermarket would very quickly fix all the bugs and offer additional, useful features which many would gladly pay for.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Also, my last couple of rides turned on the interior lights when you shut the engine (before you open the door) as well as having "walk-away auto-lock".

I've just kinda developed a "muscle memory habit" of pushing the lock button on the door 2X (I have single lock horn turned off), so I know it's locked. I can also see the truck on my security cams, so I'm I'm wondering, I just hit the fob and see the lights flash.

This is one of those little - "just when you thought they thought of EVERYTHING" things. Not nearly as irritating as the USELESS LANE KEEPER/ASSIST - but close...

Rick
So...you're telling me the interior lights do NOT illuminate when you shut the truck off and it's not an option to do so?

The lane assist in my current truck works pretty well....very handy when I've had a few high power IPAs and need someone to drive me home. So, the Ram system isn't so hot?

Cortesio

Reaction score
So...you're telling me the interior lights do NOT illuminate when you shut the truck off and it's not an option to do so?

The lane assist in my current truck works pretty well....very handy when I've had a few high power IPAs and need someone to drive me home. So, the Ram system isn't so hot?

Some people don’t seem to have a good experience with it. Their trucks don’t alert or nudge until you’re out of the lane. That hasn’t been my experience. If anything mine was too restrictive by going yellow if I ever dared deviate from dead nuts center of the lane. There are three levels to select from going from early warning to later warning. I set it to later warning and it’s been very accurate for me. Goes yellow if I’m a good bit off center and nudges if I’m close to touching the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSConsulting

Reaction score

Lane keep is USELESS - compared to my '16 Pilot - where it was almost AUTOPILOT. You could literally take your hands off the wheel - and it would keep you in the lane - EVEN ON CURVES.

If there are settings that I have wrong (set to early and high) - that would make it more effective, the wheel "vibrating" is an ANNOYANCE since it doesn't actually CORRECT the lane position.

Honda also had an "edge of road runoff", where if you went over the solid line, it would correct you back.

As I may have mentioned - considering the computer will AUTOPARK and have complete control of the wheel - the system in the truck is MORE THAN CAPABLE of keeping you centered in the lane.

Rick

Cortesio

Reaction score
Lane keep is USELESS - compared to my '16 Pilot - where it was almost AUTOPILOT. You could literally take your hands off the wheel - and it would keep you in the lane - EVEN ON CURVES.

If there are settings that I have wrong (set to early and high) - that would make it more effective, the wheel "vibrating" is an ANNOYANCE since it doesn't actually CORRECT the lane position.

Honda also had an "edge of road runoff", where if you went over the solid line, it would correct you back.

As I may have mentioned - considering the computer will AUTOPARK and have complete control of the wheel - the system in the truck is MORE THAN CAPABLE of keeping you centered in the lane.

Rick

I can take my hands off the wheel and the truck will do two lane corrections before beeping at me to put my hands back on the wheel. If anything, the settings you have should be an annoyance because it should constantly be nudging you back to the center if you slightly stray.

It works for me even on highway curves. I haven’t tried flinging my truck off the road yet, but drifting out of the lane in a turn does have a positive correction bringing me back into the lane.

RSConsulting

Reaction score

Lane keep is USELESS - compared to my '16 Pilot - where it was almost AUTOPILOT.

I'm gonna start a thread on this - maybe I'M DOING IT WRONG - or maybe Ram needs to know how BAD IT IS. For a car that can steer itself into a parking spot - I SHOULD BE ABLE TO KEEP YOU IN A FRIKKIN LANE...

Rick

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I can take my hands off the wheel and the truck will do two lane corrections before beeping at me to put my hands back on the wheel. If anything, the settings you have should be an annoyance because it should constantly be nudging you back to the center if you slightly stray.

It works for me even on highway curves. I haven’t tried flinging my truck off the road yet, but drifting out of the lane in a turn does have a positive correction bringing me back into the lane.

What are your settings? Maybe MINE IS BROKE - or needs an update...

Rick

Cortesio

Reaction score
What are your settings? Maybe MINE IS BROKE - or needs an update...

Rick

I’m on late and medium feedback. If you haven’t yet, might be worth bugging the dealer about. I’m curious if I’m on a later software version than you are that improved the LKA.

Twoamen

Reaction score

Hang in there. Criminals will work their way to you..

Users who are viewing this thread