5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walk-away locking?

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So...you're telling me the interior lights do NOT illuminate when you shut the truck off and it's not an option to do so?

The lane assist in my current truck works pretty well....very handy when I've had a few high power IPAs and need someone to drive me home. So, the Ram system isn't so hot?
My interior lights come on when the truck is shut off. Also the lane assist works as expected.

Reactions: WPG

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
My interior lights come on when the truck is shut off. Also the lane assist works as expected.
Huh...the Laramie Longhorn I drove last night did not. The limited they have on the lot doesn't do it and the Limited I looked at Monday didn't do it. Nothing in the menus that I or 2 sales-guys could find to enable or disable it either. Others have mentioned this in videos online as a missing feature. I suspect you may be thinking of when you open the door. If your truck actually turns on the interior lights when you shut the engine off, would you please post a video of that for us?

Thanks

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Huh...the Laramie Longhorn I drove last night did not. The limited they have on the lot doesn't do it and the Limited I looked at Monday didn't do it. Nothing in the menus that I or 2 sales-guys could find to enable or disable it either. Others have mentioned this in videos online as a missing feature. I suspect you may be thinking of when you open the door. If your truck actually turns on the interior lights when you shut the engine off, would you please post a video of that for us?

Thanks
Hmm, now you got me thinking that it maybe with the door open, I’ll check at lunch today.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Hmm, now you got me thinking that it maybe with the door open, I’ll check at lunch today.
Thanks! I'd really appreciate that. It's a little thing, but once you're used to a convenience, it's hard to give it up...especially at this price point.

RSConsulting

Reaction score

LOL - can assure you it doesn't.

An annoyance - as with previous vehicles, you can get your stuff together before you open the door. Alternatively - you can turn the interior light on manually - forget to shut if off - and run the battery down.

Another LOL.

This truck IS DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS - some stuff just doesn't work - some is just "different by design" (which sometimes is just AN EXCUSE why something doesn't work that we're used to in a previous vehicle).

I've been doing my share of ruminating (a nice way of saying WHINING) on why my $67K Ram, doesn't do things my $45K HONDA did just fine.

My biggest complaint is the LANE KEEPER - and I might have to cajole the stealership into letting me drive another truck on the lot to see if it's JUST ME.

According to a poster on this thread - his works JUST FINE. And between the front camera and sensors on the windshield, and the surround cameras on the mirrors - this should keep this truck centered even better than my Honda. If the damn thing can PARK ITSELF - it can STAY IN THE LANE.

Sadly - it seems like FCA are a bunch of heartless pricks - who don't realize that the SUPPORT AFTER THE SALE IS WHAT BUILDS CONSUMER LOYALTY.

Rick

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure you are aware, but there still are communities in America where we don’t lock our trucks! Heck, I’ve never even had a key to the house either. It’d drive the kids and friends and family nuts if they had to carry keys or ring the doorbell every time they came home or stopped by. If my truck auto-locked, I’d go crazy. 1/2 the time I go to get something out of the truck, I don’t have the key fob on me.

I don't think anybody is saying that they want it to work that way and ONLY that way.

What would be nice is an option in the Settings, so that you can make it work that way IF you want to.

Personally, I would like options in Settings for:

- auto-lock when I walk away
- auto-unlock when I walk up
- auto-fold the mirrors in when I turn the truck off
- auto-lower to Entry/Exit height when I turn the truck off (Air Suspension models)

Automatically turning on the interior lights when you turn the truck off also seems like a good idea.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I don't think anybody is saying that they want it to work that way and ONLY that way.

What would be nice is an option in the Settings, so that you can make it work that way IF you want to.

Personally, I would like options in Settings for:

- auto-lock when I walk away
- auto-unlock when I walk up
- auto-fold the mirrors in when I turn the truck off
- auto-lower to Entry/Exit height when I turn the truck off (Air Suspension models)

Automatically turning on the interior lights when you turn the truck off also seems like a good idea.
My $19K Kia Forte' had all that in 2014.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There should be a software update that allows the walk away lock to be turned on. All of the tech is there just needs a code update. My interior lights come on and so do the headlights when I shut off the truck and I think that is in the setup configuration also.

It seems like my lane keeping assist used to work better before they did another software update at the dealership, now it seems a little late to auto correct.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
There should be a software update that allows the walk away lock to be turned on. All of the tech is there just needs a code update. My interior lights come on and so do the headlights when I shut off the truck and I think that is in the setup configuration also.

It seems like my lane keeping assist used to work better before they did another software update at the dealership, now it seems a little late to auto correct.
I'd love to see a video of the interior lights coming on when you shut the engine off (not opening the doors)

Thanks

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Have you checked the LKA settings to make sure they are still how you had them set before the update?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I checked it and even changed it back and forth to see if that made it back to the way it was. No dice. It now lets the tires run on to the painted line and stripe before it autocorrects.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I’m on late and medium feedback. If you haven’t yet, might be worth bugging the dealer about. I’m curious if I’m on a later software version than you are that improved the LKA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out build dates are within 10 days of each other - and our purchase 3 days from each other.

We likely have the same software version on both. Without a WiTech - no way to tell..

Rick

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Did any of you check the interior light functionality? A few said they would do so. Thanks

iamtheav8r

Reaction score

@JJRamTX were you able to get a video of your interior lights coming on after engine shut down?

Zeeya

Reaction score
So...you're telling me the interior lights do NOT illuminate when you shut the truck off and it's not an option to do so?

The lane assist in my current truck works pretty well....very handy when I've had a few high power IPAs and need someone to drive me home. So, the Ram system isn't so hot?
I’ve been looking for a switch or app on u-connect that I may have to switch on, but my interior lights do not come on when I turn off the truck

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a switch or app on u-connect that I may have to switch on, but my interior lights do not come on when I turn off the truck

None of them do - this should be a "requested feature" to Z-Automotive for the Tazer DT, since it's controlled by the BCM. If they can make the mirrors fold at key off, they should be able to make the lights come on also.

Rick

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
It doesn't exist. I just came from another dealer here where we looked at 5 new trucks in all levels of trim. None have this ability currently.

Users who are viewing this thread