5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waiting a month now for etorque. What to do, truck is not driveable according to dealer

Luke22

Reaction score
I just received another update that the ETA for the etorque is not delayed until 1/17/2023. The date has changed three times since the truck went into Arrigo Ram and was taken offroad due to the failing etorque.

Any suggestions how to proceed? Initially, I was told it was backordered two weeks. I need the truck.....

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Look up the lemon law in your state and go for a buyback if you can\want.

Not much else you can do. Dealerships need to do work under warranty unless you want to pay out of pocket and get the parts yourself.

Could always call around to a few dealerships and see if any others can get the work done asap, sometimes dealerships stock parts and don't need to order them.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just received another update that the ETA for the etorque is not delayed until 1/17/2023. The date has changed three times since the truck went into Arrigo Ram and was taken offroad due to the failing etorque.

Any suggestions how to proceed? Initially, I was told it was backordered two weeks. I need the truck.....
ask them to take the etorque from one of the truck they have in stock at dealership and installed it on your truck and to install the etorque in order on that truck when it will arrive

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
ask them to take the etorque from one of the truck they have in stock at dealership and installed it on your truck and to install the etorque in order on that truck when it will arrive
eTorque what? that's really generic.

That's like saying to borrow the fuel system from another truck.
Could be the generator, lines, battery, etc.

No dealership is going to rip apart a new truck's major components to install on another. Good way to get in deep crap at a dealership doing that.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While looking for trucks over the past few weeks....I found a '21 eTorque that couldn't be test driven as it was waiting on a backordered eTorque part.

With 41k miles on it, my gut says he traded it vs waiting on parts...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
While looking for trucks over the past few weeks....I found a '21 eTorque that couldn't be test driven as it was waiting on a backordered eTorque part.

With 41k miles on it, my gut says he traded it vs waiting on parts...
Or it was a forced buyback, LOL.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eTorque what? that's really generic.

That's like saying to borrow the fuel system from another truck.
Could be the generator, lines, battery, etc.

No dealership is going to rip apart a new truck's major components to install on another. Good way to get in deep crap at a dealership doing that.
what ever part he is waiting on

you never know, my dealer did that for my but it wasent as major as let says the generator, and also they knew the replacement part would arrive about 10 days after, but i agree that most dealer will not do that

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
what ever part he is waiting on

you never know, my dealer did that for my but it wasent as major as let says the generator, and also they knew the replacement part would arrive about 10 days after, but i agree that most dealer will not do that
Depends on the dealer and how major of a part it is.
Because they are putting the replacement part on a new unsold truck, and likely not testing it and just assuming it works.
If it was a serialized device and FCA found out someone replaced it on a new truck and used someone else's part they probably wouldn't be very happy and could even attempt to void the warranty on the other vehicle they took a part from.

Think like updated part numbers. Most parts have a new replacement part number not the OEM number. So if something broke and was replaced under warranty with the "wrong part" and it broke again FCA could deny the claim claiming the wrong part was put in.

I would just say it's an area a dealership isn't going to want to step into. It's not like they are just swapping a busted tailgate or something. eTorque is an involved technical system with lots of fancy expensive electronics.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Currently have a brand new Ram on our lot that our dealer took the Etorque generator off of to get the customer on the road. That was done in the beginning of December, current eta for the Etorque generators is Jan 23rd.

It can be done, the manufacturer frowns on this.

Lastcall8

Reaction score
Took about 3/4 weeks for mine. Customer care expedited it our doubt it woulda been here then

jw73

Reaction score
Hello all! New to the forum and new to Ram trucks. I have a 2019 Laramie and the "starter/generator" system went dead while driving. Towed to dealership and told 6-10 weeks for part as it is on back order. Fortunately, there was a loaner available. Are there any other experiencing extremely long delays for the part? Any potential issues to look forward to after the part is replaced?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello all! New to the forum and new to Ram trucks. I have a 2019 Laramie and the "starter/generator" system went dead while driving. Towed to dealership and told 6-10 weeks for part as it is on back order. Fortunately, there was a loaner available. Are there any other experiencing extremely long delays for the part? Any potential issues to look forward to after the part is replaced?
Prettty typical.
I have seen wait times like that from other people here even a year ago.

Would seem Ram is more concerned with making new trucks then allowing existing ones to be fixed. Will be interesting to what happens in the next few years once they phase out eTorque and the HEMI if they stop making replacement parts and you end up with a dead truck 5 years old that can't be fixed.

jw73

Reaction score
Prettty typical.
I have seen wait times like that from other people here even a year ago.

Would seem Ram is more concerned with making new trucks then allowing existing ones to be fixed. Will be interesting to what happens in the next few years once they phase out eTorque and the HEMI if they stop making replacement parts and you end up with a dead truck 5 years old that can't be fixed.
That is what I was thinking as well. I have only had it for 10 months and was going to trade it in with the dealer but did not like the existing options that they had on the lot, plus the financial impacts of trading it in less than a year into it.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It would basically be illegal for a dealer to take the part off of a new truck, replace it when it came in, and sell that truck as new. Maybe take it off of a demo, as they are sold as used.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would basically be illegal for a dealer to take the part off of a new truck, replace it when it came in, and sell that truck as new. Maybe take it off of a demo, as they are sold as used.
my dealer did it for me, dont know whats illegal to take a brand new part and replace it with the same part number brand new part when that one arrive...

it the same if you buy a brand new truck you start it still at dealership, something is not working and they replace a part... are you gona say well you must take 5k$ off the truck sell price because its not a new truck since you change a part before i left the lot?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You would never know even if they even do that. Not like there putting a junkyard part on it anyways its still a new part just like if it left the assembly line like that. Its an alternator (generator) not an engine block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6of36

Reaction score
It's different replacing it under warranty. You already own it. When buying new, it has to be the way the factory built it. Selling as new with replacement parts is fraud.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's different replacing it under warranty. You already own it. When buying new, it has to be the way the factory built it. Selling as new with replacement parts is fraud.
Lots of things can get installed by the dealer, even if you order it from the factory.

I once had a tailgate moved onto my new Silverado because the original one didn't close properly and the warranty replacement went back on the truck on the lot.
You're thinking too far into it. New part for new part.

6of36

Reaction score
They may have done it but it is illegal if they get caught.

Users who are viewing this thread