5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volume Speed Adjust Is The ONLY Way To Get Max System Volume

ImageX

Reaction score
I get the idea about speed adjust but why on earth can you only get the system’s loudest volume when this option is turned on? With this option turned on, you will get louder punchier volume at speed over having the setting turned off but with the volume turned all the way up. That’s just dumb to me. If I want max volume, I expect to get it when I turn the volume all the way up.... regardless if speed adjust is turned on or off. Instead, the volume is handicapped and limited UNLESS you turn the feature on and are driving with speed.

I have the nine speaker Alpine system and am using it with a bluetooth audio player (Fiio M6).

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Wow, don't think I ever cranked it to Max. I usually start to hear distortion before that point.

ImageX

Reaction score
Wow, don't think I ever cranked it to Max. I usually start to hear distortion before that point.

I have a lot of high quality audio and much of it sounds very good.... even at MAX volume. Loud, clear, detailed. The problem is that it sounds one step better/louder at speed with volume adjust setting turned on. Without that setting turned on, I don’t get that extra step which is odd as can be. It’s like the setting leaves a little bit of volume in reserve.... strictly for speed volume adjust. We should get the FULL potential of the volume at our discretion.... with or without the setting turned on. I’m disappointed with the engineers on this one and hoping it can be addressed with an update that gives it back to us.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 6 speaker base system. After 21/22 it sounds awful. Distorted

Why would you want it that loud. Are you going deaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtc411

Reaction score
Why would you want it that loud. Are you going deaf.

It is not that loud at 21/22. If I have the windows rolled down I have to have it at 21ish just to be modest. The fact remains after 21 it’s distorted

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's like the old "loud" button head units use to have. It's to boost lower frequencies as they are lost at lower volumes. Now it just has 3 levels and tied to the vehicle's speed. They're not crippling the system if you will but adding gain at certain frequencies. While adding gain is not entirely bad, you typically want to cut than add.

ImageX

Reaction score
It is not that loud at 21/22. If I have the windows rolled down I have to have it at 21ish just to be modest. The fact remains after 21 it’s distorted

It’s not overly loud at all... at least for someone like me that’s hard of hearing. If you ever listened to high quality audio files like I do, you can play them very loud and they sound excellent. No distortion at all. Loud, clear, punchy high quality audio. Even with that extra step of volume with speed adjust.... it sounds very very good.

Jtc411

Reaction score
It’s not overly loud at all... at least for someone like me that’s hard of hearing. If you ever listened to high quality audio files like I do, you can play them very loud and they sound excellent. No distortion at all. Loud, clear, punchy high quality audio. Even with that extra step of volume with speed adjust.... it sounds very very good.

I am not hard of hearing. I have the base 6 speaker. It sounds awful period. But once it gets to 20/21 it distorts. I had the 6 speaker in my 16 and it sounded just fine. This one is god awful

whetrick1

Reaction score

Yeah and thats why I'm wearing hearing aides now.

Jtc411

Reaction score
Yeah and thats why I'm wearing hearing aides now.

Sorry to hear that(no pun). My 16 was loud at 15/16. My wife’s Durango is loud at 15/16. This truck gets to 20/21 and is distorted and not that loud.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that(no pun). My 16 was loud at 15/16. My wife’s Durango is loud at 15/16. This truck gets to 20/21 and is distorted and not that loud.

Try swapping the speakers. Start with the dash 3.5’s which are supper easy and not expensive. From there you can do the 6x9s in the doors if you’re still not happy. Lots of good threads here on it. Search stock stereo upgrade. It will fix distortion problems.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get the idea about speed adjust but why on earth can you only get the system’s loudest volume when this option is turned on? With this option turned on, you will get louder punchier volume at speed over having the setting turned off but with the volume turned all the way up. That’s just dumb to me. If I want max volume, I expect to get it when I turn the volume all the way up.... regardless if speed adjust is turned on or off. Instead, the volume is handicapped and limited UNLESS you turn the feature on and are driving with speed.

I have the nine speaker Alpine system and am using it with a bluetooth audio player (Fiio M6).
I have had the speed adjust turned off since I bought my truck. I'll have to try that.

Jtc411

Reaction score
Try swapping the speakers. Start with the dash 3.5’s which are supper easy and not expensive. From there you can do the 6x9s in the doors if you’re still not happy. Lots of good threads here on it. Search stock stereo upgrade. It will fix distortion problems.

I’ve replaced the dash with kickers. It’s for sure helped. But there is a clear issue with the audio and ANC

Jtc411

Reaction score
You can try unpinning the anc mics or purchase an anc bypass harness to see if it sounds better without anc.

Yeah I’m leaning that way. I have an appointment next week for the ANC tsb and I’m holding out hope that it solves it. If not yeah that’s probably next. I’ve also considered upgrading from the big horn to a Laramie for the alpine, leather, cooled seats and 12”

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
you shouldn’t have anc issues just swapping out the dash unless your anc is messed up and you were having problems before you replaced the dash. Which is possible. Best way to know for sure is to disable/bypass the anc.

Jtc411

Reaction score
you shouldn’t have anc issues just swapping out the dash unless your anc is messed up and you were having problems before you replaced the dash. Which is possible. Best way to know for sure is to disable/bypass the anc.

I for sure had this problem before I replaced the dash. The dash improved it a bit but the distortion is still present :(

Firebird

Reaction score
Wow, 15 is the loudest I have ever taken mine

Users who are viewing this thread