5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vibration at specific speeds

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Where did you get them from? When I got my Michelins the guy at the shop said don't be surprised if they are tricky to balance, he had noticed a decline in quality across the board. I got them from Amazon and dealing with the return wouldn't have made sense financially.

Good luck, let us know how it works out
I got mine from Discount with certificates. I've bought a lot of tires from this location over the years and they've been good to me service wise, so i'm not too concerned at the moment. More curious what they want to do as the next step as i've never been down this road before.

My other option that I was leaning heavily towards were the Continental Terrain Contact H/T. A nail in my tire Saturday, the Michelin's being in stock and my previous experience with the LTX line ultimately pushed me to make the decision this weekend. Worst case I suppose I could exercise Discount's return policy and swap them for the Conti's.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update on mine: road force balancing did the trick. The particular Discount I go to has the ability to do it in situations like this, so now I know to ask for it going forward on these tires.
I only ever have road force balencing done. If a shop doesn't have the machine I will not go there.
The hunter branded ones you can lookup on their website which shops have them in the area.

smashweights

Reaction score
Ok so this is driving me nuts. Truck is still having vibrations between 52-55 mph pretty consistently. So I took it into a different shop than where I got the tires because they had a Road Force Elite per the Hunter website. They said the wheels were about 1/2oz out of balance but not much and one wheel just barely failed the road force eval. I did not pay the like $300+ to have them to the full road force balancing procedure and they recommended not doing it. They said the tire that just barely failed was front passenger and they moved it to rear passenger to see if that helps the vibration in the mean time.

Problem persists without any discernable change. So I took it back to the shop I got the tires from, within a week of this last shop and told them what they told me. They checked it out and said the wheels were "way out of balance" to the tune of nearly 5oz and none of the tires had any notable out of rounding. They claim they took it out for a spin and didn't notice any vibration. So all that was done was rebalance them.

I haven't picked up the truck but I have a strong suspicion this issue is not going to be fixed since the previous 3 rotate and balances (two with this same shop) had no impact on the vibration...

Picking it up tomorrow so we'll see how it works...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240629-164512.png
    Screenshot_20240629-164512.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

philodog

Reaction score
My Ram 1500 4wd had a u joint fail at 46k miles and it gave the exact same symptoms as yours for a long time before it became obvious what it was.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so this is driving me nuts. Truck is still having vibrations between 52-55 mph pretty consistently. So I took it into a different shop than where I got the tires because they had a Road Force Elite per the Hunter website. They said the wheels were about 1/2oz out of balance but not much and one wheel just barely failed the road force eval. I did not pay the like $300+ to have them to the full road force balancing procedure and they recommended not doing it. They said the tire that just barely failed was front passenger and they moved it to rear passenger to see if that helps the vibration in the mean time.

Problem persists without any discernable change. So I took it back to the shop I got the tires from, within a week of this last shop and told them what they told me. They checked it out and said the wheels were "way out of balance" to the tune of nearly 5oz and none of the tires had any notable out of rounding. They claim they took it out for a spin and didn't notice any vibration. So all that was done was rebalance them.

I haven't picked up the truck but I have a strong suspicion this issue is not going to be fixed since the previous 3 rotate and balances (two with this same shop) had no impact on the vibration...

Picking it up tomorrow so we'll see how it works...
I'm still in the same boat. Discount tire has roadforce balanced my wheels/tires 3 times, assuring me they are balanced. I noticed today that I have a significant shake at 44 mph, then it goes away as I speed up and then I notice a shake again around 57 mph. it is very frustrating. There has to be something out of whack causing it. My truck only has 5100 miles on it now. Tires are brand new Hankook Dynapro's. Someone somewhere has to know what we should check.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still in the same boat. Discount tire has roadforce balanced my wheels/tires 3 times, assuring me they are balanced. I noticed today that I have a significant shake at 44 mph, then it goes away as I speed up and then I notice a shake again around 57 mph. it is very frustrating. There has to be something out of whack causing it. My truck only has 5100 miles on it now. Tires are brand new Hankook Dynapro's. Someone somewhere has to know what we should check.
Why not take it to the dealer and have them use their nvh tool to isolated it. There is also a DTCM update on some models for a noise that has fixed a few vibration concerns.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not take it to the dealer and have them use their nvh tool to isolated it. There is also a DTCM update on some models for a noise that has fixed a few vibration concerns.
I did - they said they don't feel anything. But I can watch my stomach fat jiggle around when I'm driving at those speeds lol

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
In my case, I ended up having one more re-balance done since my previous post as the vibrations weren't quite gone like I thought. This time I went to a brand new Discount in town with all brand new equipment, and those guys were able to get it sorted out. It came down to measuring the high spot in both the wheel and tire, then mounting the tire so that it's high spot was 180* off of the wheel's high spot. From there, it took just a little bit of weight to get everything nice and smooth. It was down to one wheel/tire that was causing all of the vibration, but they ended up doing this to all 4 to be safe. It's been nice and smooth since then.

Users who are viewing this thread