5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vibration at specific speeds

smashweights

Reaction score
I've noticed for a while now that the truck seems to get a noticeable, rhythmic vibration I can feel in the seat, seems more on the outside of the seat if that matters. It's not present in the steering wheel. It is non existent below 50mph and is most prominent around 52-55mph then fades as speed increases and really isn't noticeable at highway speeds. I feel like I noticed it after I got new tires about 1.5 years ago and I have had them rotated, balanced and aligned multiple times without any change. It's not a road either as this happens on a variety of trips consistently at that speed.

The only other oddities I've noted in this time is occasionally the brakes have a light stutter to them when stopping.

5.7 eTorque limited. No mods, stock size Continental TerrainContact H/T Xtra loads

Any ideas?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's the tires. They can't be balanced due to imperfections from weight, shape, or stiffness

smashweights

Reaction score
It's the tires. They can't be balanced due to imperfections from weight, shape, or stiffness
I assumed likely that but I would have a hard time believing more than one was problematic and if it's just one why didnt it change with tire rotation?

Also, how can this be diagnosed definitively and would the tire warranty, even if it's just prorated tread wear, be an option?

Scram1500

Reaction score
It's possible all 4 tires could have an issue. I have rotten luck with tires and often it is 2 out of 4 that are bad. To isolate the problem you could to change up the rotation pattern ( just rotate one side) or put the spare on and move it to each hub noting any changes. Another possibility is that the shocks could be worn out and unable to cope with normal vibrations.

smashweights

Reaction score
It's possible all 4 tires could have an issue. I have rotten luck with tires and often it is 2 out of 4 that are bad. To isolate the problem you could to change up the rotation pattern ( just rotate one side) or put the spare on and move it to each hub noting any changes. Another possibility is that the shocks could be worn out and unable to cope with normal vibrations.
Should a reputable shop or the shop I got the tires from be able to accomplish this?

My neighbor got a set of the same tires, same size and everything and hasn't had any issues

Scram1500

Reaction score
An independent tire shop/mechanic will be your best bet, chain store will be hit or miss

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Should a reputable shop or the shop I got the tires from be able to accomplish this?

My neighbor got a set of the same tires, same size and everything and hasn't had any issues
I have personally seen Brand new tires be out of round, they will show balanced but will vibrate at speed.
put it up on a hoist and run it. in drive 4 wheel drive makes this easy to check all four tires. if they are out of round
you will see it right away as they will appear to hop or shimmy side to side when in rotation. if one does it have him dismount
and just put the rim on and run it to rule out wheel and axle.
tire dealer changed my bad new tire with another new one and retested after the wheel only test confirmed that it was, and the axle were fine. and wouldn't you know that it ran perfect then vibration was gone.
they argued with me for 2 days that it was a bent rim or axle. he told me in all his years he had never had one do that.
I suspect he just never had anyone as a---l as I am.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Two of my OEM Bridgestones were out of round and two of my current Michelins were borderline on road force balancing. Now that the tires are 4 years older and 7/32 I can feel vibrations in the 60-65 mph range.

smashweights

Reaction score
You may need to spend the extra money on a road force balancing ($300 locally for me), presuming your tires have a good amount of life on them.

Two of my OEM Bridgestones were out of round and two of my current Michelins were borderline on road force balancing. Now that the tires are 4 years older and 7/32 I can feel vibrations in the 60-65 mph range.

Will a road force balance determine if the tires are problematic?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
NVH app will help isolate what is causing the vibration. I have the NVH app and use it, it is very helpful on isolating vibrations.

I also use a Picoscope to locate vibration and noises.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Will a road force balance determine if the tires are problematic?
Yes it will. RF balance applies a spinning drum to the tire simulating a road surface. Any imperfections will be identified. You will want the printout of what your values are and compare them to the maximum specification, usually 20-25 lbs is the limit. Anything beyond that can't be balanced

smashweights

Reaction score
Ok, looks like the tire kingdom i went to doesn't have a road force but the Ram dealership in town has a Road Force Elite. Thanks, I'll start there.

If it is a tire, will the Ram dealership be able to warranty the tire(s) or will that need to go back to the purchasing place? I would assume the dealer could since it's warranted through Continental not Tire Kingdom.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it is a tire, will the Ram dealership be able to warranty the tire(s)
If you purchased the tires at Tire Kingdom, I doubt the Ram dealer will warranty the tire. They can road force the tire, then give you the print out of the road force results.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I went through this years ago with my 08 Laramie. 4 BFG tires, not the all terrains, but a more mild manner tires.
There was a Discount tire 15 minutes from my house that had a force balancer, only store around that did at that time (early 2010s).
I went back to Discount tire (closer, local store) 3 times to have them balanced and checked, even had them shake down the front end and check the alignment twice.

The force balancer found 2 of the 4 were bad.
They replaced all 4 under warranty, I paid for the new certificate they offered for each tire…and was on my way.
Switched tire brands to a comparable model/type. No more issues.

Each time they rebalanced, they said…yeah, they were a little off. The force balancer found the issue.
Good luck.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had this same issue. Had my tires (Nitto Ridge Graps) road-force balanced 3 times as well as my alignment checked. Still didn't fix anything. I ended up pulling the tires off and putting a new, different set on. The vibration completely went away. It was a problem with one or all the tires. Who knows. Likely your issue as well.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Experienced a shake in the drivers seat and the floorboard after getting a new set of duratracks.
The selling tire shop tried to balance them twice to no avail.
Ended up taking the truck to a shop with road-force balancing equipment, took care of my shaking issue.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
I'm going through this right now on a set of Michelin LTX's I had put on this weekend. Noticed an immediate vibration at 45mph and up, and around 45 I can see the shimmy in the steering wheel, none of which was present with my factory Goodyears. Brought it back on Tuesday for a rebalance with no change and going back tomorrow to see what the next step is.

In all the years i've run these Michelin's on other trucks and SUV's, this is the first time i've run into this problem.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I'm going through this right now on a set of Michelin LTX's I had put on this weekend. Noticed an immediate vibration at 45mph and up, and around 45 I can see the shimmy in the steering wheel, none of which was present with my factory Goodyears. Brought it back on Tuesday for a rebalance with no change and going back tomorrow to see what the next step is.

In all the years i've run these Michelin's on other trucks and SUV's, this is the first time i've run into this problem.
Where did you get them from? When I got my Michelins the guy at the shop said don't be surprised if they are tricky to balance, he had noticed a decline in quality across the board. I got them from Amazon and dealing with the return wouldn't have made sense financially.

Good luck, let us know how it works out

Users who are viewing this thread