5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vibration at 1500-2000 RPM

Badlilhemi

Reaction score
I'm gonna resurrect an old thread here. I feel like I've been having the same issue on my 20 RAM 5.7 Hemi, non-etorque pretty much since new. I had it at the dealer at 6500 miles and they "couldn't reproduce it" Well I'm getting close to 60k miles now, noise is still present, but pretty much unchanged since it was new.

I agree it's not a simple "vibration" as it's a much higher frequency then tires out of balance, very similar to a cell phone buzzing. However, it occured to me that it's identical to the drone/buzz/vibration you will feel if you are driving a manual and accidently put it in a gear too low and then try to accelerate. So it's almost like the transmission shift points are just slightly off. Seems like could be fixed with a software update, but just conjecture on my part.

So anyone figure out a fix?
LOL.. I am here too trying to figure this out... the EcoDiesel guys get this also and some have used deadner or silicone on floor area near throttle pedal and one wrapped a heater hose around his steering shaft to dampen the harmonic... It's annoying as hell... there are lots of posts all over... only one guy claims to have resolved it with the silicone on the floor below pedal method and hose on steering shaft.. I think he probably split the hose long ways wrapped it around and tie strapped it back is my guess... issue is none of these people are sending pics.. I fought a harmonic in my 2004 hemi that would rattle my dash at idle.. I figured out where it came from and had a braket welded from driver side exhaust to top of trans mount to give it a place to end... resolved 90% of the issue.. loved that truck after that... I hope I can figure this one out.

I keep seeing people say when its COLD or early in the morning its worse.... Motor mounts are rubber.. they are stiffer in the cold and will feed more harmonics until worked around from engine torque and then the heat from the motor feeding into the rubber likely loosens it up some.. this is theory.. This feels like engine or exhaust vibrations feeding through... NOT a tire issue.. it doesn't follow speed.. it follows RPM. 1500-2000 seems to be the harmonic range.. Lots of guys are just dealing with it.

Last edited:

Badlilhemi

Reaction score
I have a ‘22 limited that drove beautifully off the lot, had the battery die on me 4 days later. They replaced it and ever since I’ve been having vibration issues that happens 20-30mph as well as highway speeds. I also notice a slight humming noise coming from the rear at lower speeds. It’s getting worse the more I drive it. Drove it from NJ to visit my in laws in FL, miserable ride. Leaving to head back north this week, not looking forward to it. Has anyone had any luck figuring out the cause? I’ve been trying to pinpoint it, thinking it could be lane sense (it isn’t) battery voltage dropping (not it either). Running out of ideas as to what it could be.

Edit: Put about 400 miles on it before I had the battery issue and it being replaced. The truck rides on smooth roads like their patched up roads. I can’t seem to pinpoint the issue. Thought it might be battery/power related but doesn’t seem to connect to voltage. Sorry for the regurgitation of thoughts but this has been driving me crazy for 2 months. Bringing it to the dealership (3rd time in 2 months) the week I get back, but I’m trying to show up prepared with info for them to take me seriously. This is my first Ram and between how beautiful this vehicle is and how I KNOW it drove the first few days I had it, I cannot accept this being normal in a $75k vehicle

@liq001 @azconvert @dxdx
That sounds like the ANC issue some talk about.. you may need to get an ANC (Active Noise cancellation) delete... as a fix.. there is a youtube video.

U

User_3336

I just bought a 2024 Rebel 3.92 gears... SAME feeling... its almost like a fast buzz in the gas pedal/steering I mostly feel taking off or lower RPM's... on highway its barely there.. I thought it was just the aggressive tires but its not. It's some sort of Harmonic. There are older threads of people fighthing to fix this. One guy said he used silicone on the floorboard area.. Some played with deadener and put rubber hose around the steering column to give the harmonic a place to go or end... its annoying... the 2004 Hemi I had did something stupid at idle and I was the one that figured out the fix and many others started doing the same... It's the only thing I hate about the truck.. so stupid to make this normal.. This is NOT a wheel problem.. or a tire problem.. There is a thread where one guy was hanging weights off his exhaust and getting it to calm down.. if sitting still you can rev and feel it right at 2krpm.. but its much more aparent while moving.. wich is when the motor is more under load then. I believe this is nothing bad just a harmonic that is annoying that we can likely resolve if we try to send the harmonic in a different direction away from the gas pedal and steering wheel.
A lot of people have the vibration. Obviously no remedy. Live with it or trade it! :-\

mwoods269

Reaction score
I have this “high frequency” “cell phone like” buzz in the steering wheel as well as the gas pedal. Generally I feel it just above 2k rom range going 70mph is when its the strongest. Mine comes and goes like clock work if you maintain that rpm and speed. I don’t know how to describe it but “cyclical” sounds right. Like its “buzzes” for a few seconds fades away, buzzes, fades away etc.

It happened the night I drive it home from the dealer on brand new stock tires as well as now on Nittos. Once you feel it or notice it you can’t unfeel it.

I will be scheduling service as I can’t/won’t deal with this issue especially with only 500miles on the damn truck.

@RamCares Sounds like its time for some social media as its ine issue after another.

mwoods269

Reaction score
I have this “high frequency” “cell phone like” buzz in the steering wheel as well as the gas pedal. Generally I feel it just above 2k rom range going 70mph is when its the strongest. Mine comes and goes like clock work if you maintain that rpm and speed. I don’t know how to describe it but “cyclical” sounds right. Like its “buzzes” for a few seconds fades away, buzzes, fades away etc.

It happened the night I drive it home from the dealer on brand new stock tires as well as now on Nittos. Once you feel it or notice it you can’t unfeel it.

I will be scheduling service as I can’t/won’t deal with this issue especially with only 500miles on the damn truck.

@RamCares Sounds like its time for some social media as its ine issue after another.
2024 Ram 1500 Crew

mwoods269

Reaction score
You feel it or hear it?
I feel it. If things are super quiet it almost seems like you can hear the hum.

Tonight we took a 3 hr highway drive through the mountains. 1500 rpms, just over 2k rpms and again at 3k rpms it happens. Also notice that turning right or left around turns seems to magnify the “buzzing” feeling in the pedal and wheel. it also remains when I throw it in neutral, enable tow mode or shut off the mds (gearing eco mode I think)

It really feels like wheel bearings to me.

Last edited:

mwoods269

Reaction score
I feel it. If things are super quiet it almost seems like you can hear the hum.

Tonight we took a 3 hr highway drive through the mountains. 1500 rpms, just over 2k rpms and again at 3k rpms it happens. Also notice that turning right or left around turns seems to magnify the “buzzing” feeling in the pedal and wheel. it also remains when I throw it in neutral, enable tow mode or shut off the mds (gearing eco mode I think)

It really feels like wheel bearings to me.
Update: the harmonic vibration is worse at 2k rpm 74mph highway while taking a curve going to the left. Almost seems like the vibration is being generated from the right side only.

Wheel bearing? Front diff?

Last edited:

mwoods269

Reaction score
Pretty sure my truck suffered from the same issue until last week. It drove me crazy for over a year and at first the dealer was no help. Finally, I got paired with a service rep and technician that agreed that the vibration and road noise was not normal. They were able to trace this back to the front wheel bearings. They used a stethoscope to check the bearings and found the issue. Visually, the bearings did not appear to have any defects or damage and there was no play in the wheels to indicate that they were failing. Nevertheless, something had gone wrong, or they were just from a bad batch because the foot pedal, steering wheel, and floorboard vibration was significant in my opinion. It's hard to explain the noise and vibration, not sure vibration is even the right description, but if you have the same issue, I think this will make sense. After replacing the bearings, the truck is back to a showroom ride. I had already decided that if they couldn't find the issue and claimed the behavior was normal again, I was going to sell the truck and move on to another brand. It was driving me nuts and it was no longer the truck I had purchased or would purchase. Hope this helps
So I did some tests tonight on my way home and then found your post.

• My harmonic vibration, gritty, oscillating feeling in the steering wheel and pedal at 73ish mph and just above 2000 rpm is actually just speed induced
  • found a stretch of downhill highway, got to 73mph, started feeling the vibration in the wheel, shifted to neutral and the feeling remained.
  • mine is 100% speed related and NOT rpm
  • also started feeling the grittiness at low parking lot speeds and when slowing to a stop
  • the feeling gets more intense at 73mph while taking turns
  • also happens slightly at 50mph
  • truck has had this feeling since 6miles and seems to have gotten worse now 3000 miles
It feels like it’s coming directly from the front wheels and so your comment regarding getting the bearings replaced makes sense and gives me hope!!
I plan on taking it to the dealer for service in the next couple of weeks. Just need to make sure there is a route I can reproduce on a test drive with the tech

mwoods269

Reaction score
So I did some tests tonight on my way home and then found your post.

• My harmonic vibration, gritty, oscillating feeling in the steering wheel and pedal at 73ish mph and just above 2000 rpm is actually just speed induced
  • found a stretch of downhill highway, got to 73mph, started feeling the vibration in the wheel, shifted to neutral and the feeling remained.
  • mine is 100% speed related and NOT rpm
  • also started feeling the grittiness at low parking lot speeds and when slowing to a stop
  • the feeling gets more intense at 73mph while taking turns
  • also happens slightly at 50mph
  • truck has had this feeling since 6miles and seems to have gotten worse now 3000 miles
It feels like it’s coming directly from the front wheels and so your comment regarding getting the bearings replaced makes sense and gives me hope!!
I plan on taking it to the dealer for service in the next couple of weeks. Just need to make sure there is a route I can reproduce on a test drive with the tech
Started looking for wheel bearing related posts in general and came across this which makes sense as well.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
to the OP with the newer truck do not rule out the interior diff Bearings or the pinion bearings. they could have been defective bearings or races, or even when the diff was assembled it may not have been shimmed correctly. if it's too tight it can cause exactly what you're feeling. I know this can happen from a past experience in my old mud wheeling days.
oh,:) what memories back then.

Users who are viewing this thread