5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very bizarre push button start behavior (possible bad battery?)

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
I originally posted about this in the interior section of the forum but this issue has become rather bizarre. So I have a 2019 1500 Bighorn 4x4, around 40,000 miles on it. The other day I noticed the truck wouldn't start, turned out the battery was dead (would just sit at 25% charge). Tried charging the OEM battery, no luck, bought a new Duralast Platinum AGM battery and installed it. After the new battery was installed I tried to start the truck, no luck, just the "Push Brake and Push Button to Start" message was left on the screen by the steering wheel, the screen wouldn't turn off either leading me to wonder if that's what drained the original battery. Pushing the keyfob to the push button didn't work, remote start worked but still couldn't shift into gear with that message being displayed.

I disconnected the battery overnight, reconnected it the next morning, let the truck sit for an hour, started the truck using remote start and this time let it run for a while. The push to start button still wouldn't response. Out of a bit of frustration I pressed the button about 10 times and somehow it worked... Turned the truck off and tried again, about the same number of presses and it worked. I drove the truck around the block to test it, everything was fine. When I got back to my house I turned it off and on again, this time the push button worked with one press. The "Press Brake and Push Button to Start" message was left on the LCD even after I closed the door but I came out 5 minutes later and it was off unlike before. Maybe that's normal behavior, can't recall.

So was this just a weird dead battery issue or something else? Would it be worthwhile to replace the push to start button and or take it into the dealer?

Thank you

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares
Will do!

Users who are viewing this thread