5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Veraram Intake question

Ram15738459

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram Bighorn 5.7 Hemi. I want to install a bolt on air intake system. I have looked into a few, K&N, S&B. But I’ve been most interested in the Veraram Intake. I’ve seen a couple videos of some dyno testing and this one seems to give you the most usable power upgrade.
I have 2 questions:
1. Does it affect the temperature of the truck, (engine or transmission)?
2. Does rain affect it? It seems like it might take in water while it’s raining since the air scoop is directly into the filter. Or am I wrong?
Appreciate any opinions. Especially anyone who’s installed this item.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I researched them some, liked the RAM kit better.
First of all, take their "dyno results" with a big grain of salt. RAM trucks already have a cold air intake, so don't expect much change. It looks and sounds cool and frees up some room on the right fender.
1. Probably not. You might run it harder if you think it's a racer.
2. Probably not. Air is drawn from the same area in front of the radiator as the OEM system.
And about that filter: replacements come from VaraRam ($$$), I don't think you'll find one at Wally Mart or any of the usual auto parts stores.

Ram15738459

Reaction score
I researched them some, liked the RAM kit better.
First of all, take their "dyno results" with a big grain of salt. RAM trucks already have a cold air intake, so don't expect much change. It looks and sounds cool and frees up some room on the right fender.
1. Probably not. You might run it harder if you think it's a racer.
2. Probably not. Air is drawn from the same area in front of the radiator as the OEM system.
And about that filter: replacements come from VaraRam ($$$), I don't think you'll find one at Wally Mart or any of the usual auto parts stores.
I appreciate the input. The dyno test I am referring to was a you tube video that was put up by someone who installed the intake and took it to a dyno shop. He also did the same thing with the S&B intake and the Veraram came out on top. Albeit by just a little bit of HP gain. I’m not looking for 1/4 mile speed gains or anything, but I like the throatier sound and maybe a little better throttle response.
2. Doesn’t the OEM air box and the S&B style take the air from the side? Veraram comes right from the front with some slight mods or removal of front shroud under hood.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dyno test I am referring to was a you tube video that was put up by someone who installed the intake and took it to a dyno shop.

If you mean the one where they had trouble getting the truck to not downshift at full throttle, I saw it too. Thought it was a bit subjective, make of it what you will.

2. Doesn’t the OEM air box and the S&B style take the air from the side? Veraram comes right from the front with some slight mods or removal of front shroud under hood.

Yeah the air all comes from that open grille area in front of the radiator. Vararam and the Ram Airflow pull it over the top of the radiator, whereas S&B and stock pull it through a hole in the radiator support bulkhead off the right side of the radiator. Not much restriction either way.

Maybe worthy of note, the Ram Airflow kit gives you a plug for that hole in the bulkhead, whereas Vararam does not. One of the reasons Vararam is cheaper.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram Bighorn 5.7 Hemi. I want to install a bolt on air intake system. I have looked into a few, K&N, S&B. But I’ve been most interested in the Veraram Intake. I’ve seen a couple videos of some dyno testing and this one seems to give you the most usable power upgrade.
I have 2 questions:
1. Does it affect the temperature of the truck, (engine or transmission)?
2. Does rain affect it? It seems like it might take in water while it’s raining since the air scoop is directly into the filter. Or am I wrong?
Appreciate any opinions. Especially anyone who’s installed this item.
If you look at my profile pic, you can see I have one and have for about 3 years. To answer both questions, that would be a no. Rain and snow is not an issue at all and I've been in some heavy rain and snowstorms with it. Temp on the truck is the same and there is no reason it wouldn't be.

Ram15738459

Reaction score
If you look at my profile pic, you can see I have one and have for about 3 years. To answer both questions, that would be a no. Rain and snow is not an issue at all and I've been in some heavy rain and snowstorms with it. Temp on the truck is the same and there is no reason it wouldn't be.
Thanks for the input. I love the orange on the cover, that’s exactly what I want to do. Did you notice any improvements? Like did it seem to have a little more horsepower, or better throttle response? Did it change the sound of the truck at all? Mine is cerebrally stock, no exhaust mods or anything.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you do a tune with an intake and exhaust you will receive no gains in performance or mileage. If you could the auto makers would use them to make CAFE and sales. Right on the box it says you "MAY" get gains up to... Nowhere will they guaranty any.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I love the orange on the cover, that’s exactly what I want to do. Did you notice any improvements? Like did it seem to have a little more horsepower, or better throttle response? Did it change the sound of the truck at all? Mine is cerebrally stock, no exhaust mods or anything.
I didn't notice any improvement, but it was little loader under the hood, but once I put the louder exhaust on, not so much.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Will not change temp, existing air intake takes the same EXACT air as the Vararam.
There is a tube that goes to the front of the radiator for the OEM, and there is no plug provided by Vararam to cap it, the Ram branded Ramair provinces a cap, RAM does not sell the cap as it's an accessory and they don't sell parts for accessories. You can remove most of the tube but it's not really in the way anyways and air will flow where it is even if removed.

Rain will not affect it because of gravity.
If for some reason you got water into the intake there are 2 drain holes it can use to empty, but it's really not possible unless you drive with your hood open or get on your knees and spray a garden hose upwards into your grill

Users who are viewing this thread