5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ventilated Seats - Dissapointing

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine are fantastic. Iost something and popped the cushion loose to dig around the rails and adjusted it. Reclipping the leather is a pain but it greatly improved the ventilation power. Now more than lo blows up my back and legs.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, Ford products have great cooled seats. A coworker has a little Lincoln MKC, and ride in it regularly if we go to lunch, etc. The seats cooling is much better than the RAM. Also, they have memory so they will come on at whatever setting they were on last. RAM's on the other hand, will not.
It will remember seat cooling if you enable it in the csm settings.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It will remember seat cooling if you enable it in the csm settings.
Unless something has changed on the 2020s (IDK what you have. I see no sig on your profile) then it will not.

It'll only do this based on outside temps (for both heating and cooling), not on user input (<41 deg for seat warmers, and >79 for cooling). If it's outside these temps. You will have to manually turn them on.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless something has changed on the 2020s (IDK what you have. I see no sig on your profile) then it will not.

It'll only do this based on outside temps (for both heating and cooling), not on user input (<41 deg for seat warmers, and >79 for cooling). If it's outside these temps. You will have to manually turn them on.
Mine remembers. Also for passenger. I did enable a ton of that stuff in alphaobd. It may be a setting in there that did the trick.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it just me or do these ventilated seats leave much to be desired about?

I was so excited for the summer heat where I can use them but they are nothing like the Ford Expedition I had as a rental once.

Maybe the Fords actually plumb A/C to the seat fans?
I love mine. They may not be cooled but they sure help.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
I first learned about ventilated seats in a 2016 Ford raptor. I could feel the air moving when on higher settings, nice and COLD. Bought the Laramie expecting the same performance and was very disappointed. Probably would have went with a Big Horn had I known they were that bad. Fan is noisy also.

My first ventilated seats were an excursion, same thing, nice and cool. I thought all ventilated seats were like that.‍♂️

Now I know lol

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My first ventilated seats were an excursion, same thing, nice and cool. I thought all ventilated seats were like that.‍♂

Now I know lol
Agree that others vehicles are better (and worse), but I am in no way unhappy with mine.
They work fine, even in the Texas heat.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Agree that others vehicles are better (and worse), but I am in no way unhappy with mine.
They work fine, even in the Texas heat.

Agreed, by no means is it a show stopper. My expectations were based on only one other vehicle so it skewed my ideas on a ventilated seat.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Are sure it's exterior temp and not interior temp? It hasn't gotten to 80 degrees where I live yet, although yesterday was very close. But my ventilated seats have been on several times this spring when I remote start my truck after work.

The seat ventilation on the 2020 Laramie isn't as good as what we had on our 2016 Laramie, but it's much better than not having it. It's the main reason I decided on a Laramie with the ORG instead of the Rebel. I really hate sweating to the seat :D

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Are sure it's exterior temp and not interior temp? It hasn't gotten to 80 degrees where I live yet, although yesterday was very close. But my ventilated seats have been on several times this spring when I remote start my truck after work.

The seat ventilation on the 2020 Laramie isn't as good as what we had on our 2016 Laramie, but it's much better than not having it. It's the main reason I decided on a Laramie with the ORG instead of the Rebel. I really hate sweating to the seat :D
It's based on ambient temp, so outside sensor under driver's mirror.

Could be that it's not super accurate. Mine seems to be right on the dot on both ends of the range, but... I have noticed that the sensor does take a while to update.
In cool weather, inside the garage, if it's 50 or 55 deg, and let's say 38 outside, it takes several minutes for my displayed temp to catch up once I drive off, so these sensors are not the quickest to relay info to the other systems. Now if it's parked outside, then yeah, it's much faster.

Thanks,

Last edited:

djjr50

Reaction score

Mine is set to turn on when I auto-start the vehicle, but I see the setting to also turn on whenever I start the vehicle. I dont have any OBD mods.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine is set to turn on when I auto-start the vehicle, but I see the setting to also turn on whenever I start the vehicle. I dont have any OBD mods.
Right. Either one will work, as long as ambient temps are 80 or above.

djjr50

Reaction score
It's based on ambient temp, so outside sensor under driver's mirror.

Could be that it's not super accurate. Mine seems to be right on the dot on both ends of the range, but... I have noticed that the sensor does take a while to update.
In cool weather, inside the garage, if it's 50 or 55 deg, and let's say 38 outside, it takes several minutes for my displayed temp to catch up once I drive off, so these sensors are not the quickest to relay info to the other systems. Now if it's parked outside, then yeah, it's much faster.

Thanks,
Yeah, I dont have a garage big enough (or clean enough...working on that) to park in. I am also in Florida where outside temps are usually high and interior temps get hot enough to get burnt by the 'Limited' badge on the arm rest. But I only remote start when it is hot and that's when it comes on. Cant say much for the seat heaters, but those suckers work really well!

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
My wife loves the vented seats and that there are 3 levels/speeds.

but it would make sense that if you cool down the interior that they would function better if they are sucking cabin air

cnsc74

Reaction score
Don't know exactly how the seats are cooled (yet), but my wife's Caddy SRX has waht is also called "Ventilated" seats and they really do cool your buns. Just picked up my loaded out 2021 Laramie (with ventilated seats) and it, (like my wife's SRX) gets pretty cool. On a hot day I get a little chill at low and on high, I fart Icicles! Also noted, not that loud on high, and the AC on high max, is way louder than the ventilated seats.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ventilated means it just has a ducted fan blowing air from the AC duct into the seats. Thats what ram and most cars use.

Actively cooled seats are a thing and use cooling loops that cool even more. They draw air over another cold block and cool it even more before its blown into the seats. I've seen it in Mercedes and Lexus.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ventilated means it just has a ducted fan blowing air from the AC duct into the seats. Thats what ram and most cars use.

Actively cooled seats are a thing and use cooling loops that cool even more. They draw air over another cold block and cool it even more before its blown into the seats. I've seen it in Mercedes and Lexus.
Not exactly. On our trucks, the seats pull cabin air into the seating surface. It does not blow air from the AC duct into the seats.

Users who are viewing this thread