5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Various issues with the Uconnect system

Andros

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been debated already, but I haven't found a thread with exactly my issues (if there are any, links are appreciated).

I have a 2019 Ram Limited that I bought in May 2020. It has the 8,4 inch Uconnect system. My issues started shortly after when the unit would occasionally reset itself anywhere from 1 to 15 times when I started the truck. Sometimes it happened, sometimes it didn't. I never managed to find a reason to why it did or didn't. After the unit was finished going in loop it stayed on and the issue wouldn't occur again until the truck was off for several hours. Except for this everything worked fine, AUX, BT, Carplay and so on.

After I took it to the dealer they first tried to update the software without success. They then agreed to replace the unit. After 9 months of waiting they did the job. After this the restart-issue is gone. The unit stays on perfectly at all times. But of course a new issue started. The first thing I noticed is that the USB-connections no longer worked. They wouldn't charge my phone and they wouldn't start Apple CarPlay. Bluetooth worked after the car was off for several hours, but if I stopped for 10 minutes getting my groceries and came back to the truck the unit wouldn't recognize my phone anymore. It would connect so I could make calls, but I couldn't play audio. Turning the truck off for hours would solve it until I made a short stop again.

Yet again I contacted the dealer. They told me they had to change the mediahub, which I did. Now the USB ports will charge my phone, but they still won't allow me to use Apple CarPlay. The AUX and Bluetooth issues are still present after short stops and won't work. This leaves me with a truck without possibility of playing any audio. I have tried 3 different phones, with 3 different cords (original Apple cord included) in all the 3 USB-ports - no luck.

Before they changed the unit the dealer asked me to put the unit into dealer mode and send pictures of the various information that would show. I noticed today after doing this again that the unit I have now have the same serial number as the unit I sent pictures of before the replacement. Is this correct? Or should a new unit mean the serial number should be different? To say the least I don't trust them at all.

Because I live in Norway there are limited options when it comes to dealers. Have anyone experienced similar issues? I really don't know where to go next. The truck is amazing, but these issues have really ruined my experience... sadly.

Any tips appreciated!

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, How can you have an 8.4" screen on a Limited trim? the 12" screens are standard on them.
Do you have a 4th Gen?

Second,
Do you have Nav? If you do, your "unit" is assembled out of a few components, the screen, module and amp.
Which one of these was replaced? If its the radio module, then yes, you suppose to have a new serial number. If you don't, they didn't replace it.

Andros

Reaction score
Good question, I have no idea why it came with the 8.4, but it is a 5th gen and it is the Limited trim. I have asked myself that question too, but I ended up with it either way because the selection of cars are not that good here, and it was at a decent price. It's the only one I've seen here with the 8.4, but it was also one of the first cars of 5th gen to come to Norway. No idea to be honest.

I do have NAV. I was told the whole module was going to be changed. But I'm starting to suspect they didn't after all. I was told there's a weakness with overheating on the first models where H/K delivered both the module and the speakers, and that the module later has been changed to another brand (can't remember which, Pioneer?). Honestly I don't trust these guys one bit, so I'm just saying what they told me.

Guess I'll keep fighting the dealership, even though every time I bring it in it only seems to make things worse.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Good question, I have no idea why it came with the 8.4, but it is a 5th gen and it is the Limited trim. I have asked myself that question too, but I ended up with it either way because the selection of cars are not that good here, and it was at a decent price. It's the only one I've seen here with the 8.4, but it was also one of the first cars of 5th gen to come to Norway. No idea to be honest.

I do have NAV. I was told the whole module was going to be changed. But I'm starting to suspect they didn't after all. I was told there's a weakness with overheating on the first models where H/K delivered both the module and the speakers, and that the module later has been changed to another brand (can't remember which, Pioneer?). Honestly I don't trust these guys one bit, so I'm just saying what they told me.

Guess I'll keep fighting the dealership, even though every time I bring it in it only seems to make things worse.
Wow... I think something is wrong with this truck... Maybe 12" is only standard in the US but everything sounds fishy here...
Do you mind sending me your VIN so I'll take a look at the build sheet?

I think the other brand that you're looking for is Panasonic. H/K don't make radio modules. Maybe amps(doubtful) but not radios...

I'd reach out to @RamCares and see if they can help with that(Although, they might only help US customers). If they told you they've replaced the radio module and they didn't, they are f*cked up! Do you have the receipt from this visit when they said they replaced the module?

Andros

Reaction score
Wow... I think something is wrong with this truck... Maybe 12" is only standard in the US but everything sounds fishy here...

I think the other brand that you're looking for is Panasonic. H/K don't make radio modules. Maybe amps(doubtful) but not radios...

I'd reach out to @RamCares and see if they can help with that(Although, they might only help US customers). If they told you they've replaced the radio module and they didn't, they are f*cked up! Do you have the receipt from this visit when they said they replaced the module?
I’m starting to feel something fishy is up myself. I’ve attached a file here from the sticker on drivers door. Should see the VIN there. Appreciate any information you can get.

I don’t have the receipt because it was done under warranty. So I delivered the car and picked it back up after a few weeks. Was told it was fixed, and to be fair the screen resetting issue is, so I have no idea. When it comes to the mediahub replacement I actually saw the part myself.

It’s an amazing car, but I think owning one outside the US is quite difficult, at least here, because we have 1 dealer in the entire country. I can’t really take it somewhere else to check things out.

Attachments

• 17CB45BD-74DB-42CF-BA74-7B12CC92E592.jpeg
    17CB45BD-74DB-42CF-BA74-7B12CC92E592.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 8

Andros

Reaction score

Just another quick update after today. The dealership responsible for the warranty has agreed to take the car back one more time. Turns out they outsourced the work to another dealer they have an arrangement with (apparently they do this with every US car they import) that modifies the modules when the cars come to Norway (European NAV etc.). We don't have satellite radio here, so we use DAB (a really crappy solution). FM-radio is shut down in Norway as well, so we can't use that. AM-radio isn't a thing.

Anyway, they do this to save money because their own technicians cost a whole lot more money to fix the problems. So instead of $150 an hour they outsource it for $60 an hour. Because of this I now suspect the dealership the job was outsourced to _told_ them they needed to change the module and charged them for that, without actually doing it (because of same serialnumber).

The warranty-dealership has now agreed to use their own technician to fix the problem. Delivering the car back the 5th of July and I guess it will be there for some weeks. Another summer without a fully working car, but it has to be done. I will have to use a cheap FM-transmitter together with my phone for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread