5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vararam Intake - Anyone try one yet? Says +30hp and +30tq....no flash!

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
Ok, so looking for a new cold air intake for my 2019 1500 5.7 Hemi Ram. Looked at the K&N and the S&B. S&B looks to be better designed then I ran across this:

Stating 30/30 increase? How is that possible without a flash? Has anyone run one of these? Pricing is reasonable...

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
Ok, so looking for a new cold air intake for my 2019 1500 5.7 Hemi Ram. Looked at the K&N and the S&B. S&B looks to be better designed then I ran across this:

Stating 30/30 increase? How is that possible without a flash? Has anyone run one of these? Pricing is reasonable...
Absolutely no chance possible without a flash and more supporting upgrades. Aftermarket claims on cold air intakes of any kind are greatly over exaggerated. If you were adding this to a turbocharged or centri blower then sure 30hp is possible but still at the high end for hp/tq.

gcscott

Reaction score
You can look at my post on how I installed a Vararam Air Grabber. I get some in cress in gas mileage and sound. After you install the Vararam they tell you to reset your computer (disconnect battery for 2 hours) then go drive 30 miles to reset the fuel censers. I like it. JMO

Click below to follow the link.

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks similar to the new RAM AIR (just missing the Top Hat portion).

... now if you just had a RAM AIR functional hood to suck in extra air ...

rrbhokies

Reaction score
So if it really doesn't get you much in terms of HP or MPG, why bother with these? Is it more for just the looks and to say you have it? I'm trying to justify what $350 would get me for something that no one is ever going to see.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The look (and the sound) .. and for those of us that "believe" .. it gets more direct air (cooler or not) instead of air from the engine bay, or the fender well.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
The look (and the sound) .. and for those of us that "believe" .. it gets more direct air (cooler or not) instead of air from the engine bay, or the fender well.
Ok, now I can get behind the sound! If I am installing a Flowmaster Outlaw, how would the truck sound with the addition of this intake?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

bdm219

Reaction score
A tune on a vehicle *might* gain you 25 rwhp. I call bs on a no tune CAI yielding 30/30 hp.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
It’s close on a diesel but on a gas truck it’s hard to get single digit gains

Marketing

They may have “data” but I’m suspicious on it.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a killer intake but I have my suspicions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Anyone have audio clips of how it sounds before and after installing the intake?

Elkhunter149

Reaction score
You can look at my post on how I installed a Vararam Air Grabber. I get some in cress in gas mileage and sound. After you install the Vararam they tell you to reset your computer (disconnect battery for 2 hours) then go drive 30 miles to reset the fuel censers. I like it. JMO

That’s very interesting how you did the install, it actually makes total since taking the time to pull the grill an change the air louvres the way you did,
Thanks for all the details an pictures
Click below to follow the link.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
30HP sounds a bit optimistic. But the ram air affect won't show up on a dyno. I have done a lot of tuning using HP Tuners on a GM LS platform so I can say the stock ECU(GM anyway) can compensate for +or- 25% fueling if it's anything like GM. There is no MAF just a MAP sensor so tuning isn't required.

Once my truck is out of warrany I will get the ECU unlocked and start learning to Tune Mopar.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
"ram air" does nothing that you should base a purchasing decision on. It's a marketing gimmick. Its effect is probably less than 1%. There is a reason they have technologies like forced induction and ramjet engines.

1590521595657.png

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Even on a generous day of marketing claims, any legal rep at a company would know that 'up to 30' means 1 fits the criteria. If you're doing this because you like it, enjoy. If you're doing it because you expect that kind of gain or anything near it, pass. Tell them you will pay 'up to' $900 depending on the gain you see ...

popcenator

Reaction score
I've had my share of intakes, this is the only one I've felt an obvious change with. If you're not in the market for an intake, awesome. If you want one that makes a difference, this is it. I'm enjoying mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread