5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vararam Intake - Anyone try one yet? Says +30hp and +30tq....no flash!

BJC

Reaction score
Like most on this thread, I cast extreme doubt on 30/30 increases without a tune. But this intake (or the Mopar intake, or any intake really) is a necessary step if you want to increase performance.
And for the comment about voiding warranty, look into Moss v. Magnuson. Manufacturers cannot void warranty based on an aftermarket intake installation unless they can prove that the intake caused the issue. I will concede though, it may cause extra hoops should anything go wrong, but case law is on your side.

That said, I just bought a Ram this week and I am waiting on delivery of my Veraram intake. I bought this one because I would rather have the extra volume that is stolen by the Mopar top cover.
Truth be told though, if you want that intake "phhfffffp" sound, or to increase performance on the 5.7, I really think any intake will do the trick.

Sorry to necro the thread. :p

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes I just wonder by the statement "increased throttle response". Throttle is electronically controlled by the ECU thru the electronic throttle pedal. How does an intake changes electronic control?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes I just wonder by the statement "increased throttle response". Throttle is electronically controlled by the ECU thru the electronic throttle pedal. How does an intake changes electronic control?
We are referring to the lag that you have from start up. (Dead Stop) The truck no longer hesitates when you hit the gas pedal.

This is an analog result of having more surface area on the air filter for the air manifold to receive air when the ECU calls for it.

For the driver this feels like increased throttle response, you no long have a delay between the pedal and the take off, therefore the experience is fluid. 🔱

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still don'
We are referring to the lag that you have from start up. (Dead Stop) The truck no longer hesitates when you hit the gas pedal.

This is an analog result of having more surface area on the air filter for the air manifold to receive air when the ECU calls for it.

For the driver this feels like increased throttle response, you no long have a delay between the pedal and the take off, therefore the experience is fluid. 🔱
Still don't get it. The ECU does not call for AIR. Air flow is a result of throttle blade opening and rpm's The ECU adjusts Lamda aka fuel ratio. You can have a filter surface area of a football field and it would not change this function. ;)

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still don'

Still don't get it. The ECU does not call for AIR. Air flow is a result of throttle blade opening and rpm's The ECU adjusts Lamda aka fuel ratio. You can have a filter surface area of a football field and it would not change this function. ;)
The ECU helps to monitor the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. While the engine is running, the ECU uses this sensor to read how much air is entering the engine. ;)

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
and adjusts the fuel ratio accordingly by pulsing the injectors. Still no relation to the intake.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, I know how the system works. Worked for Mercedes for over 25 years. Red square is still the restriction, no matter the size of the intake.
ECU Inputs.png

Louhound88

Reaction score
I've had aftermarket CAI before and I've felt a difference. It's subtle enough that you question if it's placebo, but I think it's legit a small boost in motor response.

2016 silverado with 5.3 was a real dog, but i installed a S&B cold air intake. I wanted more engine noise from the firewall, and didn't want to spend alot of money on exhaust, so CAI. The difference was there, I can't say it felt more torquey but I did feel the slight increase in HP at higher rpms. Pulled just a little harder at high rpm shifts.

Biggest difference was the sound. Very distinct sucking noise. As if the engine was sucking tons of air in when you accelerated. Harder you accelerated, harder the sucking noise was. It was pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread