5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valve stem caps - beware of aluminum

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Really dislike the aluminum fittings on hoses. Just too soft a metal. Good old brass worked for years. A cost move I'm sure.
I think this was a factor, but not totally sure. "Brass is similar to bronze, another alloy containing copper, with tin included instead of zinc; both bronze and brass may include small proportions of a range of other elements including arsenic, lead, phosphorus, aluminum, manganese, and silicon." Prop 65 thing?????, California??

Damion

Reaction score
All this being said, If you manually check your air pressures often, the caps won't have a chance to get corroded on.......

Jako

Reaction score
All this being said, If you manually check your air pressures often, the caps won't have a chance to get corroded on.......
Totally correct and agree. The key word is manual. I found the TPM accurate to my gauge and a button push or 2 gives me accurate tire pressure. TPM system can eliminate the manual check if accurate. I have made tire pressure adjustments based on the owner's manual explanation as below.
"The tire pressure will vary with temperature by about 1 psi (7 kPa) for every 12°F (6.5°C). This means that when the outside temperature decreases, the tire pressure will decrease."
I believe I set mine for 35 degree temperature 2 months ago and my last check (TPM) all is good. No mean, median, mode or empirical data for the 35 degrees.
How often do owners make the necessary adjustments for weather?

Damion

Reaction score
I usually try to check mine every couple weeks or so. For the two minutes it takes it’s worth it to me.

I find my tpms is off a bit. I can have each tire inflated the same ( digital gauge ) but the tpms usually has one that’s off either high or low.

I like to think of the tpms as a guide more than in stone readings. Just like the low oil warning light, if it goes off it’s too late

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Totally correct and agree. The key word is manual. I found the TPM accurate to my gauge and a button push or 2 gives me accurate tire pressure. TPM system can eliminate the manual check if accurate. I have made tire pressure adjustments based on the owner's manual explanation as below.
"The tire pressure will vary with temperature by about 1 psi (7 kPa) for every 12°F (6.5°C). This means that when the outside temperature decreases, the tire pressure will decrease."
I believe I set mine for 35 degree temperature 2 months ago and my last check (TPM) all is good. No mean, median, mode or empirical data for the 35 degrees.
How often do owners make the necessary adjustments for weather?

Twice, in late spring and late fall........................... Due to the monstrous increase in temps and lower in late fall.

OH, BTW, got good ole rubber caps on my RAM. I have metal (alloys unknown) on my MC, no issues there, but the pressure on the MC is hand checked every couple of weeks and always a day before a long ride.

DSCN0321aa.jpg

Jako

Reaction score
Twice, in late spring and late fall........................... Due to the monstrous increase in temps and lower in late fall.

OH, BTW, got good ole rubber caps on my RAM. I have metal (alloys unknown) on my MC, no issues there, but the pressure on the MC is hand checked every couple of weeks and always a day before a long ride.

View attachment 64924
Same for me.
1596983283803.png

turkeybird56

Reaction score

AS U may know, gotta stay on top of air pressure on MC, Trike great ride, but U get into trouble real quik if tires not right..... Also, burn a tire off the front of a trike in 5K if pressures not right, and them Bridgestone Excedras cost as much as a good truck tire.

Jako

Reaction score
AS U may know, gotta stay on top of air pressure on MC, Trike great ride, but U get into trouble real quik if tires not right..... Also, burn a tire off the front of a trike in 5K if pressures not right, and them Bridgestone Excedras cost as much as a good truck tire.
MC tires $$$$$$. BMW K1300S, good for 6,000 miles (taking it easy) and overall cost is an OUCH in the wallet. On top of the price, install time can be 2 weeks out in season. I have 2003 BMWs and was able to buy extra rims at a good price so I can just swap wheels. The 1300s rims are forged and are a small fortune. BMW=Bring My Wallet, Big Money on Wheels!
Not complaining, I have accepted the cost for the performance.

Users who are viewing this thread