5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V8 with eTorque

Bubba33

Reaction score
Ive never found good search features on a forum, for over 20 years.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Upstate NY, 3.21 rear and I'm averaging 14.2 with plenty of highway. I'm driving it like an old lady, too. Not happy at all, but it's cold, truck has 980 miles so it *should* improve a bit.

The fuelly numbers are accurate and a good statistical representation of what you can expect.

FCA lied on these for the MPG sticker numbers.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Winter tires = safety
summer tires in winter = wreck waiting to happen
Oh yeah, for sure.. and the Duelers are a long way from ‘summer only’ (I’ve had/have a bunch of those as well), but they just didnt quite inspire enough confidence to be my tire for all seasons. :)
Upstate NY, 3.21 rear and I'm averaging 14.2 with plenty of highway. I'm driving it like an old lady, too. Not happy at all, but it's cold, truck has 980 miles so it *should* improve a bit.

The fuelly numbers are accurate and a good statistical representation of what you can expect.

FCA lied on these for the MPG sticker numbers.
My mileage did improve after the first few thousand miles. I bought mine in Fall of 2018 and i didnt see 21-22 until the latter half of this summer, which was probably around 5-6k miles (I don't drive a lot).

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Oh yeah, for sure.. and the Duelers are a long way from ‘summer only’ (I’ve had/have a bunch of those as well), but they just didnt quite inspire enough confidence to be my tire for all seasons. :)

My mileage did improve after the first few thousand miles. I bought mine in Fall of 2018 and i didnt see 21-22 until the latter half of this summer, which was probably around 5-6k miles (I don't drive a lot).
Thanks. I didn't expect anything more than 15-17 winter and maybe 19-ish summer, honestly. Once I dump the oil and replace with full synthetic it should help a little. Getting broken in some usually doesn't hurt, either.

Reverse

Reaction score
I just switched from a 2014 Big Horn Crew Cab (Hemi/3.92/4x4) to a 2020 Limited CC (Hemi + eTorque/3.92/4x4) and frankly, the mileage sucks. My daily commute includes a lot of fairly slow driven country roads and not much start/stop. In the 2014 I would regularly see averages (over weeks of driving) between 19 and 20mpg.

In the Limited I'm lucky to break 17. I'm baffled honestly.

Bubba33

Reaction score
I just switched from a 2014 Big Horn Crew Cab (Hemi/3.92/4x4) to a 2020 Limited CC (Hemi + eTorque/3.92/4x4) and frankly, the mileage sucks. My daily commute includes a lot of fairly slow driven country roads and not much start/stop. In the 2014 I would regularly see averages (over weeks of driving) between 19 and 20mpg.

In the Limited I'm lucky to break 17. I'm baffled honestly.
How many Miles on it and are you using winter gas. My 16 got better ,so im waiting to see after this one breaks in, if it goes up.

Reverse

Reaction score
AFAIK we don't have winter gas here in the ATL area. Anyway, we still have the 2014, and it's still getting the same mileage on the same gas as I get for the Limited. Almost 1,000 miles on it.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Just let the big 5.7L Hemi hunt...stop looking at your gas mileage. Your truck is the envy of everyone around you in another brand. Hammer down from stop light to stop light and let the truck growl a bit. Your cost of 2-3 less miles per gallon is something like a $1 a day. There are also a dozen other forum strings like this one...

Reverse

Reaction score
Just let the big 5.7L Hemi hunt...stop looking at your gas mileage. Your truck is the envy of everyone around you in another brand. Hammer down from stop light to stop light and let the truck growl a bit. Your cost of 2-3 less miles per gallon is something like a $1 a day. There are also a dozen other forum strings like this one...

Thanks Dad.

The difference in mileage could be a symptom of a defect somewhere. The trucks are virtually identical as far as engine and drivetrain, so I'll keep tracking my mileage until I'm satisfied it's normal.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Meh - 4K miles and not getting NEAR what anyone else is (see fuelly in sig).

OTOH - I'm mostly around town, and I'm ENJOYING the 5.7 Hemi (and I DO have a heavy foot).

If I bought the thing for it's FUEL ECONOMY, I'd be pissed. I bought it for comfort, power and looks. Not to say I wouldn't mind getting better economy, but not at the trade-off of a sluggish pedal.

Rick

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Thanks Dad.

The difference in mileage could be a symptom of a defect somewhere. The trucks are virtually identical as far as engine and drivetrain, so I'll keep tracking my mileage until I'm satisfied it's normal.

Keep on, keeping on...normal is in the eye of the driver.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
As i mentioned, i didnt start to even approach 20 (hemi/etorque/3.92) until i was around 5-6k I think? And that was empty bed, no passengers, etc.. Certainly keep an eye on it, but I would expect it to creep up over time.

What tires do you have?
Meh - 4K miles and not getting NEAR what anyone else is (see fuelly in sig).

OTOH - I'm mostly around town, and I'm ENJOYING the 5.7 Hemi (and I DO have a heavy foot).

If I bought the thing for it's FUEL ECONOMY, I'd be pissed. I bought it for comfort, power and looks. Not to say I wouldn't mind getting better economy, but not at the trade-off of a sluggish pedal.
Indeed. Its still a big truck with a big engine, so driving in town with a heavy foot I can absolutely see getting averaging around 12mpg. I’m sure if mpg’s were important to you, you'd just change your driving habits a little, but if you’re around town for almost all your driving, that may still only get you to 15/16. Damn stoplights!

JustMe

Reaction score

I do believe that this ^ statement is "accurate," based solely on my Grand cherokee (2016 V6) experience right around that same mileage time-frame . . . went from an average (around town) of ~15.5 to the Stated Sticker of ~ 18 ! This still holds true at ~ 14K (I too don't drive a lot, until I have a Planned Trip . Most of that 14K is interstate or highway (~75%). Had similar experiences with the "old 2003 Hemi". As sticker stated = 13 & 17(?) - I'd usually get (calculated) ~14 but cruising down the interstate I'd get (on computer) 22 - 24 ! Yea, go figure ! Don't know if the aFe AirFlow had an effect - debates on that will Always be ! But no argument on the "facts," when started hand calculating . . . that 21 - 22 became the "norm" ! I'm talking Trip milage from Spokane Eastward over the mountains into Montana; and likewise trips West to Yakima & Ellensburg - these were more like 22 - 24 as mostly a flat run.

I'll be making a RAM purchase (ordering) ~ late Springtime 2020 . . . and am now debating the V8 Hemi eTorque vs the V6 std w/eTorque. It's gonna be a Quad w/ORP and I'll be removing the rear seat - I have "plans" !

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AFAIK we don't have winter gas here in the ATL area. Anyway, we still have the 2014, and it's still getting the same mileage on the same gas as I get for the Limited. Almost 1,000 miles on it.
After a couple thousand, mine settled in, and on two lane country roads and under 55/60, I steadily get 20/23. Give it a little time and you should see an improvement. Around Tuscon when we were snow-birding, with the 45mph boulevards and stop lights some distance apart, we got 20/25 at 2000 on the clock.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
13,000+ miles now (since the very end of June). So, averaging over 2,000 miles per month (and I work from home). Done several trips from here (DC area) to NC and to FL (so, plenty of highway miles).

Best I have ever gotten was 17.9 MPG. Average around town is 13 - 14.

This is all hand-calculated (using Fuelly). The onboard computer is off by anywhere from 0.5 - 2.0 MPG almost every time. And virtually always says higher than what I really got.

I have Adaptive Cruise Control and use it a LOT. Based on some casual experimenting I did recently, I do believe it costs me at least 1 MPG in fuel economy. It does a lot of accelerating and braking at times that I would just let it coast if I were driving it manually.

Truck details are in my sig, but if you can't see that, the basics are Laramie CrewCab 4WD, Hemi w/eTorque, 3.92 rear end.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
13,000+ miles now (since the very end of June). So, averaging over 2,000 miles per month (and I work from home). Done several trips from here (DC area) to NC and to FL (so, plenty of highway miles).

Best I have ever gotten was 17.9 MPG. Average around town is 13 - 14.

This is all hand-calculated (using Fuelly). The onboard computer is off by anywhere from 0.5 - 2.0 MPG almost every time. And virtually always says higher than what I really got.

I have Adaptive Cruise Control and use it a LOT. Based on some casual experimenting I did recently, I do believe it costs me at least 1 MPG in fuel economy. It does a lot of accelerating and braking at times that I would just let it coast if I were driving it manually.

Truck details are in my sig, but if you can't see that, the basics are Laramie CrewCab 4WD, Hemi w/eTorque, 3.92 rear end.
Very similar results, although I’ve just flipped 10K in 14 months. The downside for me from an economy standpoint is that I’m almost always in town.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My mileage sucked until 5700 miles or so. Im at 22,000 miles now, and i just posted a pic on another thread showing Avg Fuel Eco at 20.2 mpg running 78 mph. it does improve.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My mileage sucked until 5700 miles or so. Im at 22,000 miles now, and i just posted a pic on another thread showing Avg Fuel Eco at 20.2 mpg running 78 mph. it does improve.

Where is this post of which you speak? I can't find it.

Users who are viewing this thread