5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V6 or V8

rammin03

Reaction score
There are a lot of Ecodiesel's in the production pipeline right now. I just did a search on the Ramtrucks website, may want to start there and see whats coming. 1675633009101.png

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
Because both trucks are heavy and the v6 needs to work way harder to move it.
His 19 classic was likely MUCH cheaper then the 5th gen 2019
Yea I think he got it for like 10k less then me( both were used bought within a month or so), but it's more then just engines. His is pretty stripped down.

St-na

Reaction score
The Fast Lane Truck channel compared a V6 with the Hemi on the Ike Gauntlet. The V6 struggled all the way with towing (test truck was a Crew Cab Tradesman with 3.21 Axle Ratio. these are real world tests and comparisons. For around town and commuting, V6 will probably be ample.
If you have the budget, go for the 5.7 Hemi with the 3.55 or 3.92 Axle Ratio. This config will handle anything without straining itself.
I had no problem with my budget, but was always shopping for 3.21 axle ratio. Axle ratio has nothing about money, but the way You are using Your truck. I never towed anything, and have no doubt, that 3.21 is my best possible choice. Price difference for 3.92 is so small, comparing with all other options.

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
I had no problem with my budget, but was always shopping for 3.21 axle ratio. Axle ratio has nothing about money, but the way You are using Your truck. I never towed anything, and have no doubt, that 3.21 is my best possible choice. Price difference for 3.92 is so small, comparing with all other options.
I have the 3.92 and really wanted the 3.21. Here's my take.

Why I wanted the 3.21
The MPG was my main concern, not because of money but because I knew it would bother me since I drive 20,000 miles a year and will maybe tow once or twice year. Basically it's $500 a year in extra cost that I didn't need to spend on gas. Again, not a deal breaker, but it just bothers me.

Here's why I am glad I got the 3.92.
1. I hear a lot of 3.21 trucks have a problem staying in 8th gear. That would annoy the **** out of me. My truck rarely if ever leaves 8th on the highway or interstate. If I am above 60 mph, it will stay in 8th on any reasonable incline. Even after I installed 34" tires, it is the same.
2. People are right, the 3.92s are fun! When I need to get on it merging or pulling onto a busy street, it will flat out pull.

Overall, I would get the 3.92 again because I would be more bothered about not staying in 8th gear on the highway if that is really a true problem with that gear ratio.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Why I wanted the 3.21
The MPG was my main concern, not because of money but because I knew it would bother me since I drive 20,000 miles a year and will maybe tow once or twice year. Basically it's $500 a year in extra cost that I didn't need to spend on gas. Again, not a deal breaker, but it just bothers me.

1. I hear a lot of 3.21 trucks have a problem staying in 8th gear. That would annoy the **** out of me. My truck rarely if ever leaves 8th on the highway or interstate. If I am above 60 mph, it will stay in 8th on any reasonable incline. Even after I installed 34" tires, it is the same.
2. People are right, the 3.92s are fun! When I need to get on it merging or pulling onto a busy street, it will flat out pull.

Overall, I would get the 3.92 again because I would be more bothered about not staying in 8th gear on the highway if that is really a true problem with that gear ratio.I do understand the downshifting. But it is not too bothersome to me.

I do understand the downshifting, but not too bothersome to me, even when hauling or towing.

What bothers me more is cruising at long stretches at 2250 RRM on the expressway, rather than 1750 RPM with the 3.21. Helps me kick it on the expressway.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As with pretty much everyone, if you are towing, just get the HEMI you will be much happier.

I have 4th Gen 3.6 with 3.55 and it was sufficient around town, but towing it really had to work, and mpg while towing is not going to be much different than the HEMI.

I towed a few times with my 4th gen and it did impress me while towing my 64' New Yorker home from Vegas.

St-na

Reaction score

Why I wanted the 3.21

Overall, I would get the 3.92 again because I would be more bothered about not staying in 8th gear on the highway if that is really a true problem with that gear ratio.
It's my second RaM with 3.21and I never experienced any described problems. Next would be 3.21 for sure.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's my second RaM with 3.21and I never experienced any described problems. Next would be 3.21 for sure.
I have both. I personally like the 3.21. My son drives the 3.92 ( I drove it a year ).
They aren’t made to haul, just haul ***...

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
you never experienced the constant downshifting/upshifting when going up the slightest in inclines? I find that hard to believe.

St-na

Reaction score
3.21 is a tall gear (lower number), 3.92 is a short gear. There are many explanations from the experts how they differ. The best ever I read was the comparation of tall and short gear with long and short legs. It's nice to push heavy cart from grocery store with the short legs, but if You are just walking or running, without a heavy load, long legs are better.

silver billet

Reaction score
you never experienced the constant downshifting/upshifting when going up the slightest in inclines? I find that hard to believe.

It doesn't (v8/3.21). I regularly drive 3 hours on a freeway and my truck lives in 8th gear. If I'm hugging 63 mph it will downshift maybe 4 times on that trip (yep, I've counted as I repeat the trip many times). If I'm in a hurry and driving closer to 70+? Doesn't downshift at all. However I'm willing to admit that my lazy driving style plays a large part, if you're one of these nervous drivers that is constantly working the gas and brakes off and on and off and on and off .... then your mileage may vary.

I've pulled small fishing boats and 18 foot motor boats in 8th gear with no excessive downshifting on the freeway either.

Also remember this is an extremely smooth 8 speed with a 400 RPM drop, I have to look for the downshifts (not quite, but almost) to notice them. It's not like you're going from 1600 to 3000 every 3 minutes.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.21 is a tall gear (lower number), 3.92 is a short gear. There are many explanations from the experts how they differ. The best ever I read was the comparation of tall and short gear with long and short legs. It's nice to push heavy cart from grocery store with the short legs, but if You are just walking or running, without a heavy load, long legs are better.
Yea yea yea
3.92 short, fat
3.21 tall and skinny

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't (v8/3.21). I regularly drive 3 hours on a freeway and my truck lives in 8th gear. If I'm hugging 63 mph it will downshift maybe 4 times on that trip (yep, I've counted as I repeat the trip many times). If I'm in a hurry and driving closer to 70+? Doesn't downshift at all. However I'm willing to admit that my lazy driving style plays a large part, if you're one of these nervous drivers that is constantly working the gas and brakes off and on and off and on and off .... then your mileage may vary.

I've pulled small fishing boats and 18 foot motor boats in 8th gear with no excessive downshifting on the freeway either.

Also remember this is an extremely smooth 8 speed with a 400 RPM drop, I have to look for the downshifts (not quite, but almost) to notice them. It's not like you're going from 1600 to 3000 every 3 minutes.
Agreed,
the transmission is very good and smooth, really not bothersome, mostly out of mind when it does it.

silver billet

Reaction score

That's not all that accurate because it only works for first gear.

Fat Frank has 4 baskets of eggs with 3 per basket. Slim Sam has 3 baskets of eggs with 4 per basket. Does it matter who you buy your eggs from if you just want 12 eggs?

That explains gear ratios in all gears other than first gear. Axle ratio by itself is meaningless, it's only half the equation. The other half which is just important, is the ratios of the transmission.

Just like 4 * 3 = 12 is the same as 3 * 4 = 12, so it works with transmission gear ratio * rear axle ratio.

When both trucks are in first gear at a stop, yep the 3.92 has the legs to pull harder. But as soon as both trucks are moving, second and beyond, the transmission will downshift to put you at the same-ish RPMs as the other truck; your RPMs will be similar at the same MPH giving you the same torque/hp. Only when stopped or when both trucks are in 8th is there a significant difference.

I prefer to explain gear ratios like this:

You can either have gears:
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H (3.92)
or
B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I (3.21)

It's not exact, but close enough. Notice how both trucks have a "G" gear ratio; yes that happens in "7th" with the 3.92 and "6th" for the 3.21 but "7th" and "6th" are labels, the actual gear ratio "G" is what matters and both trucks will put you in that gear ratio under the same load and mph.

silver billet

Reaction score
Well, we were really talking about the V6 with the 3.21 doing all the downshifting.

The thread is getting confusing and not specific.

Well the guy you asked has the 5.7/3.21; agreed this is getting confusing lol.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not all that accurate because it only works for first gear.

Fat Frank has 4 baskets of eggs with 3 per basket. Slim Sam has 3 baskets of eggs with 4 per basket. Does it matter who you buy your eggs from if you just want 12 eggs?

That explains gear ratios in all gears other than first gear. Axle ratio by itself is meaningless, it's only half the equation. The other half which is just important, is the ratios of the transmission.

Just like 4 * 3 = 12 is the same as 3 * 4 = 12, so it works with transmission gear ratio * rear axle ratio.

When both trucks are in first gear at a stop, yep the 3.92 has the legs to pull harder. But as soon as both trucks are moving, second and beyond, the transmission will downshift to put you at the same-ish RPMs as the other truck; your RPMs will be similar at the same MPH giving you the same torque/hp. Only when stopped or when both trucks are in 8th is there a significant difference.

I prefer to explain gear ratios like this:

You can either have gears:
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H (3.92)
or
B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I (3.21)

It's not exact, but close enough. Notice how both trucks have a "G" gear ratio; yes that happens in "7th" with the 3.92 and "6th" for the 3.21 but "7th" and "6th" are labels, the actual gear ratio "G" is what matters and both trucks will put you in that gear ratio under the same load and mph.
Eggs are too expensive, will you please use another analogy.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread