5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V6 or V8

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever said "man, I wish I had less power" in any vehicle that you have owned? I can't think of any reason (except maybe Prius owners)
I used to have an Asian friend who loves small cars. Like the smaller the car and engine the better.
He was kind of weird. He ended up going to college for business, then dropped out and moved to California with family to go do unskilled labor. Guess it all makes sense now.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
Only thing I'm aware of it being in is the 2014+ Cherokee. I loved mine till they recalled and reprogrammed my transmission. They bought it back and I got a 3.6L 300 AWD. Absolutely loved that car. Always wished it had the Hemi, but they quit doing Hemi AWD by that time, and I never really needed a V8 in that car. The interior of my Rebel reminds me so much of that car. One reason I chose Ram.
Since you brought it up about the 300...I really, really miss my 300 SRT8. Definitely a car I wish I held on to. Didn't know it would be so rare now when I bought it brand new in 2012...

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever said "man, I wish I had less power" in any vehicle that you have owned? I can't think of any reason (except maybe Prius owners)
I use that feature all the time, though most of us call it the accelerator pedal. :D It's a matter of perspective. :cool:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Fast Lane Truck channel compared a V6 with the Hemi on the Ike Gauntlet. The V6 struggled all the way with towing (test truck was a Crew Cab Tradesman with 3.21 Axle Ratio. these are real world tests and comparisons. For around town and commuting, V6 will probably be ample.
If you have the budget, go for the 5.7 Hemi with the 3.55 or 3.92 Axle Ratio. This config will handle anything without straining itself.
It’s never been possible to get the 3.55 with a V8 (other than TRX). Has that changed?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s never been possible to get the 3.55 with a V8 (other than TRX). Has that changed?
Lol, you can get a 3.55. Just no one ever does. Lots of packages force you it nto 3.92s and the other people don't care to upgrade from the 3.21s because they are going for a lower gearing.

Update: I guess the v8 package forces you into 3.21s whops

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Since you brought it up about the 300...I really, really miss my 300 SRT8. Definitely a car I wish I held on to. Didn't know it would be so rare now when I bought it brand new in 2012...
I just picked one up. Took a year of searching to get the right one.

Still want more power! 🤣

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lol, you can get a 3.55. Just no one ever does. Lots of packages force you itlnto 3.92s and the other people don't care to upgrade from the 3.21s because they are going for a lower gearing.
With a 5.7, the 3.55 is not an option in the 5th gen.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Fast Lane Truck channel compared a V6 with the Hemi on the Ike Gauntlet. The V6 struggled all the way with towing (test truck was a Crew Cab Tradesman with 3.21 Axle Ratio. these are real world tests and comparisons. For around town and commuting, V6 will probably be ample.
If you have the budget, go for the 5.7 Hemi with the 3.55 or 3.92 Axle Ratio. This config will handle anything without straining itself.
...since when is the 3.55 available in a Hemi 5.7?

U

User_3336

OK OK OK OK OK, I've seen the 3.55 axle ratio as an option on a window sticker before, but have no idea whether it was a V6 or Hemi. It is rare it appears.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is an example of a local dealer. They have about 6 of these at one dealer, 4 at another, 2 at one, and 3 at another dealer. All within 100 miles of each other.
These trucks have been sitting on the lot a while. A few as far back as 6/22. They literally can't sell them.
Look at the incentives now as of 2/23. Well, maybe price will sell them, but obviously no one wants a base Big Horn V6 Crew Cab with a 3.21 axle ratio. 2 at one dealer are 4x4's (about $3,000more).

I'm not a V6 hater, but they ain't moving 'round here. Even with almost $11,000 off.

View attachment 150810
My brother just got into a 2022 V6 - had to downsize a bit after getting himself upside down in a 2020 BH lease. Anyway I asked how is the new truck...first response...it ain't a Hemi. :ROFLMAO:

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
I have a 19' new body with a 5.7, a guy at work has a 19' classic with the v6. He said he got it to save money on mileage. After owning it about a month we compared mpg's, and my hemi gets the same as his, and has way more power when needed.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all been searching around and can not seem to see anything to help me out here. I am trying to decide on a limited or a laramie V6 decked out with all the bells. I love the idea of the better gas milage but am worried for future towing. Not looking for a huge camper but maybe a 24 foot camper or a pontoon/boat in the future. I am not one of those guys who needs or wants a Hemi but I dont want to block myself from a responsive truck on the road and towing. I want to get up and around someone with the truck like my charger ha..

Thanks!
if you plan on a 24 foot camper i would go with the hemi.

dont listen to those who say you cant do it with a ram, most lite 24 camper have tongue weight of around 425lbs and max weight with luggage of 6400lbs... so the ram is capable of towing that. of course you will have to choose the travel trailer with you ram real numbers ( payload and towing)

edit just to give a idea of weight look at this
Screenshot_20230205_141056_Samsung Internet.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 19' new body with a 5.7, a guy at work has a 19' classic with the v6. He said he got it to save money on mileage. After owning it about a month we compared mpg's, and my hemi gets the same as his, and has way more power when needed.
Because both trucks are heavy and the v6 needs to work way harder to move it.
His 19 classic was likely MUCH cheaper then the 5th gen 2019

Davidbt

Reaction score
if you plan on a 24 foot camper i would go with the hemi.

dont listen to those who say you cant do it with a ram, most lite 24 camper have tongue weight of around 425lbs and max weight with luggage of 6400lbs... so the ram is capable of towing that. of course you will have to choose the travel trailer with you ram real numbers ( payload and towing)

edit just to give a idea of weight look at this
View attachment 150857
Except you need to figure 10 to 15% tongue weight on that 6,400lb gvwr trailer, not the empty tongue .

Users who are viewing this thread