5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V6 & Air Suspension

DavidNJ

Reaction score
If you have access to specific fuel consumption curves for the Ecodiesel, Pentastar and Hemi please post them. I have unsuccessfully searchd to find them. I am awaiting delivery of a new Longhorn 4x4 Pentastar air suspension 5'7" Rambox to replace my current 2014 Ecodiesel Longhorn 6'4" regular box 4x4 air suspension regular box. The specific fuel consumption curves showing amoint of fuel consumed per hp at various RPMs is a great resource to understand what you should be able to achieve with an engine and should get around the personal driving style issues.

This was discussed in a 185-page thread on a Jeep forum. An FCA engineer indicated FCA doesn't make the info public (and he wanted to keep his job.)

However, there is a EPA page (https://www.epa.gov/vehicle-and-fue...ed-low-emission-light-duty-vehicle-technology) that includes data on auto trans (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30078090/genesis-gv80-suv-leak/) and 5-speed 2014 Pentastar Dodge Chargers. Six model years later the programing will be different. No usable graphs. But if you have more interest than be the Excel format log files include a broad array of data by engine speed, gear, MAP, and mass airflow. The mass airflow should be a good proxy for fuel consumption. So it should be possible to create a mass airflow vs engine speed vs. torque 3D graph.

This graph, in another forum, is supposed to a similar V6:

upload_2015-11-15_16-8-28-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Scrambler

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited, V6, 4x4, 3.21 rear end. I'd have to agree with the mention of reduced mileage at 70-80 MPH. At those speeds I only get around 17MPG, at 60-70 I'm at 19 MPG, 50-60 I'm above 20 MPG. My normal 12 mile route to work is a combo of city and country roads (45-55 MPH) and I average around 16.5 MPG.
YES, mileage suffers on hills. I am disappointed in my MPG, but I have zero complaints on the performance of the V6.

howie12

Reaction score
So far I am averaging just over 21 mpg with my Northern Wisconsin wintertime driving in my 4x4 3.55 Longhorn Pentastar. Just over 2000 miles on it now. Very happy with the engine/transmission combo. Most of my driving is 50-60 mph on 55mph speed limit rural highways. I do have Blizzaks on it now.

It is important to understand wind resistance varies by the square of the speed. Double the speed and quadruple the wind resistance. If we take 60 mph as starting point 65MPH has 17% more drag than 60, 70MPH has 36% more drag than 60, 75 mph has 56% more drag than 60 MPH, 80 mph has 78% more wind resistance than 60 mph . One more comparison, 60 MPH has 44% more wind resistance than 50 mph. Speed makes a big difference on fuel economy..

ANother point I'll make is that if the road is rolling hills I can do much better on mileage not using the cruise control and letting the vehicle gain some going down and lose some going up the other side. I can often hold 8th gear but nearly never need more than a downshift to 7th. In cruise it holds back going down the hill then falls behind just after the bottom and downshifts once, twice and sometimes to 5th. I sure wish the cruise control had a sensitivity function on it.

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread