5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V6 & Air Suspension

E.Hands

Reaction score
Yes. Why, what's up?
Ok, I see you have a Longhorn as well. I'm really curious if you custom ordered it or not. And how much trouble it was for you.
I've been told by several dealers that the white w/brown bottom paint scheme was not available and that the V6 wasn't available in the Longhorn. Now I'm being told that the air suspension can not be had with the V6. Even though the configurator allows it.
Also I noticed your fuelly icon reads: 17.8MPG. Do you think a 2WD w/ 3.21 gears could achieve closer to the EPA's 20/25 MPG?

Last edited:

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Ok, I see you have a Longhorn as well. I'm really curious if you custom ordered it or not. And how much trouble it was for you.
I've been told by several dealers that the white w/brown bottom paint scheme was not available and that the V6 wasn't available in the Longhorn. Now I'm being told that the air suspension can not be had with the V6. Even though the configurator allows it.
Also I noticed your fuelly icon reads: 14.8MPG. Do you think a 2WD w/ 3.21 gears could achieve closer to the EPA's 20/25 MPG?
I custom ordered mine, it wasn't a problem at all. I didn't do the two-tone paint on mine, but I remember there being other people posting about ordering holds and delays for the two-tone paint a year ago when I ordered mine. There was a dealer on the forum last year who really helped me out by printing up an order sheet for me even though I wasn't going to order through his dealership, and then I just shopped that order sheet around to the local dealers that I wanted to pit against each other.

There were no hangups with any of the options I ordered, though since I ordered pretty soon after the V6 became available, several of the 9 dealers I contacted initially responded to me saying it wasn't available to order...kinda sad that this forum had more details about option availability than 3 separate dealerships, but that's a whole 'nother topic...

No idea if there's currently an ordering hold on the air suspension with the V6, I'd recommend contacting a couple more dealers to see what they say.

Re: fuel economy...I'm at 17.8, SpeedyV is at 14.8. Given that it sounds like you're planning to order a truck approximately about as heavy as mine, I doubt the 4x2 would improve the mileage that much. That being said, you'd likely get closer to it than I do. My best highway tank was only 20 something, but that was with approximately 700 lbs of passengers and cargo in the bed.

jb772

Reaction score
My dad has had his 2013 RAM 1500 4X2 Tradesmen model for 6 years now and averages 21MPG and has had ONE issue the entire time he's owned it which was a simple fix by the dealership and wasn't expensive at all. With the great success hes had, I purchased a 2019 RAM Limited 4x4 with the V6 with every option available and although I'm only getting 16.5-17MPG city driving like a grandpa, the truck is so simple compared to my diesel and I love driving it. The MPG has let me down so far because I was expecting it to be as great as my fathers, but I'm hoping it gets better with time. On the highway I'm only averaging 15-16MPG going 80 with 1 passenger. My diesel got better miles per gallon honestly.

E.Hands

Reaction score
My dad has had his 2013 RAM 1500 4X2 Tradesmen model for 6 years now and averages 21MPG and has had ONE issue the entire time he's owned it which was a simple fix by the dealership and wasn't expensive at all. With the great success hes had, I purchased a 2019 RAM Limited 4x4 with the V6 with every option available and although I'm only getting 16.5-17MPG city driving like a grandpa, the truck is so simple compared to my diesel and I love driving it. The MPG has let me down so far because I was expecting it to be as great as my fathers, but I'm hoping it gets better with time. On the highway I'm only averaging 15-16MPG going 80 with 1 passenger. My diesel got better miles per gallon honestly.
Are you saying it gets worse MPG in town than it does on the open highway? How many miles do you have on it and what gear in the back end?

rgberg

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, You've got me really thinking about holding out for the V6 now! Is anyone with a V6 getting close to 25 MPG on the highway?
I personally have had no issues reaching the EPA 24 mpg highway on long drives and 21 mpg combined ratings. I documented a 140 mile highway trip where I sat in 40 minutes of traffic, and I still was able to average 25.3 mpg. For quick reference; Big Horn, 4x4, coil suspension, 3.21 axle ratio.

I’ve found that the truck’s fuel economy will respond based on your driving habits. I generally pick up speed slowly out of a full stop and coast highways between 65-70 mph. The eTorque system is also a big gas and money saver when driving in the city, and is so hardly noticeable, I don’t understand why anyone would not get it.

I have read on this forum that the V6 does not perform as well as the Hemi at higher speeds (70+ mph) and on hills. This is where I have to agree. If you live in the mountains, have a lead foot and struggle to change your driving habits, then you might want to consider getting the Hemi.

All that being said, the V6 is a suitable option for those not towing, heavy hauling or racing. Keep your driving well within reason, and your fuel economy gauge will respond accordingly.

As a side note, I just recently put on aftermarket wheels and 33” tires, and still averaging over 21 combined mpg.

Here is a thread that has more members experience with the fuel economy of the V6:

Last edited:

E.Hands

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Good to hear that you were able to achieve 25.3 MPG.
It looks like the V6 is no longer available in the LongHorn with air suspension & RamBoxes. I'll be getting the eTorque Hemi. I do a lot of highway driving at 80 MPH with the AC maxed out so maybe I'm better off. But I sure would rather be getting 25 MPG!

jb772

Reaction score
Are you saying it gets worse MPG in town than it does on the open highway? How many miles do you have on it and what gear in the back end?

It's honestly not to far off from city MPG to highway MPG, I was expecting way better than what it is. My dads truck is a 4x2 "Quad Cab" with 3.21 gears and he gets excellent MPG, however, I guess I assumed I'd get the same in a full size crew cab 4x4 w/ 3.21 gears, but that seems to not be the case. I currently have 2,300 miles on the truck. If I'm driving at a steady 45-60MPH it gets awesome mileage, but anything over 65/70 it starts to go down, so when I'm doing 80 on the highway it pushes the mileage down to the 15MPG mark.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
The V6 is a fine engine. Other than towing a trailer, I doubt few people are ever at wide-open throttle (WOT) in normal use.

A few points on mileage:

1) Friction is your enemy. It turns energy into heat rather than mechanical work. Generally, lower engine speeds will have the lowest fuel consumption.

2) The highest efficiency will occur close to WOT at low engine speeds. Unfortunately, the transmission will probably assume at near WOT you want more power rather than more efficiency and rev the engine faster. Tthe contours are level of brake specific fuel consumption, a measure of energy per unit weight of fuel in gm/kWh. But the key is brisk acceleration doesn't hurt fuel efficiency. The goal after that is to minimize losses due to braking.

Brake-Specific-Fuel-Consumption-BSFC.jpg

3) The brakes convert the energy stored in the moving mass of the vehicle and convert it into heat. Basically throwing it away. Watching traffic patterns and maximizing the use of aerodynamic drag and mechanical friction to slow the truck will conserve fuel. That energy will be expended anyway.

4) The eTorque mild hybrid is nice, but it is a shame they didn't drive the A/C compressor and engine water pump electrically. Maybe a future version. Anyway, the auto feature of the A/C will manage the compressor, blower, and recirculation to rapidly cool and efficiently maintain cabin temps on a warm day. Manually controlling them is nearly always less efficient.

5) Tire pressures and tire mass contribute to efficiency. That is probably why LT tires are few and far between on the Ram. Big diameter all-terrain tires are not fuel economy enhancer.

howie12

Reaction score
Wow! Tell me more. I'm trying to order a Laramie Longhorn w/V6 & A.S. but my dealer said FCA won't build it. What model do you have? Did you custom order it that way?
I had a 2020 Longhorn 4x4 built by two different dealers 3 weeks ago. Negotiated and was ready to buy but also wanted to add the split tailgate. They could not order a Pentastar on any 2020 Ram 1500 a week ago Friday. Nor could they yet order the split tailgate. They said they expected more V6s to be released for order fist of September. They had no idea about the split tailgate.

Reaction score
I just tried a Longhorn on the configurator, and it won't add the air suspension without an upgrade to the V8. Total BS. We'll see when I actually try to order. But since I'm not crazy about the silly pinstripes and filagree of the Limited, that might be enough to flip me towards an SUV instead. Get it together, Ram.

E.Hands

Reaction score
I just tried a Longhorn on the configurator, and it won't add the air suspension without an upgrade to the V8. Total BS. We'll see when I actually try to order. But since I'm not crazy about the silly pinstripes and filagree of the Limited, that might be enough to flip me towards an SUV instead. Get it together, Ram.
I was attempting to do the same. I really wanted a V-6 in my loaded Longhorn but they kept saying the standard engine wasn't available!?!
Makes no sense right?

Reaction score
I was able to build a Longhorn 4x2 just now with virtually everything and the V6. The only thing that required the v8 upgrade was the air ride suspension.

So yeah, no visible logic, I would think it is just another of the website glitches.

E.Hands

Reaction score
I was able to build a Longhorn 4x2 just now with virtually everything and the V6. The only thing that required the v8 upgrade was the air ride suspension.

So yeah, no visible logic, I would think it is just another of the website glitches.
Well that was it then. I couldn't understand why the air suspension was only available with the eTorque Hemi. I'll be ok if I can get close to the 23 MPG on the open highway rating although I am doubtful.

howie12

Reaction score
The V6 is a fine engine. Other than towing a trailer, I doubt few people are ever at wide-open throttle (WOT) in normal use.

A few points on mileage:

1) Friction is your enemy. It turns energy into heat rather than mechanical work. Generally, lower engine speeds will have the lowest fuel consumption.

2) The highest efficiency will occur close to WOT at low engine speeds. Unfortunately, the transmission will probably assume at near WOT you want more power rather than more efficiency and rev the engine faster. Tthe contours are level of brake specific fuel consumption, a measure of energy per unit weight of fuel in gm/kWh. But the key is brisk acceleration doesn't hurt fuel efficiency. The goal after that is to minimize losses due to braking.

Brake-Specific-Fuel-Consumption-BSFC.jpg

3) The brakes convert the energy stored in the moving mass of the vehicle and convert it into heat. Basically throwing it away. Watching traffic patterns and maximizing the use of aerodynamic drag and mechanical friction to slow the truck will conserve fuel. That energy will be expended anyway.

4) The eTorque mild hybrid is nice, but it is a shame they didn't drive the A/C compressor and engine water pump electrically. Maybe a future version. Anyway, the auto feature of the A/C will manage the compressor, blower, and recirculation to rapidly cool and efficiently maintain cabin temps on a warm day. Manually controlling them is nearly always less efficient.

5) Tire pressures and tire mass contribute to efficiency. That is probably why LT tires are few and far between on the Ram. Big diameter all-terrain tires are not fuel economy enhancer.
If you have access to specific fuel consumption curves for the Ecodiesel, Pentastar and Hemi please post them. I have unsuccessfully searchd to find them. I am awaiting delivery of a new Longhorn 4x4 Pentastar air suspension 5'7" Rambox to replace my current 2014 Ecodiesel Longhorn 6'4" regular box 4x4 air suspension regular box. The specific fuel consumption curves showing amoint of fuel consumed per hp at various RPMs is a great resource to understand what you should be able to achieve with an engine and should get around the personal driving style issues.

jb772

Reaction score
If you have access to specific fuel consumption curves for the Ecodiesel, Pentastar and Hemi please post them. I have unsuccessfully searchd to find them. I am awaiting delivery of a new Longhorn 4x4 Pentastar air suspension 5'7" Rambox to replace my current 2014 Ecodiesel Longhorn 6'4" regular box 4x4 air suspension regular box. The specific fuel consumption curves showing amoint of fuel consumed per hp at various RPMs is a great resource to understand what you should be able to achieve with an engine and should get around the personal driving style issues.

Going from the Eco to this truck you're going to be happy...but also sad. The gas mileage is going to be horrific compared to the Eco, but the repairs and maintenance will probably make you smile a whole lot more! I try to keep my gauges to always show the fuel economy when I'm driving and it's crazy how the SLIGHTEST bit of gas throws it down into the single digits, but once you're cruising at 45-50 it stays in the 30+ mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online