5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using voice command for navigation?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just tried it 2 minutes ago.... "navigate to..." worked perfectly. Strange
Bizarre. I've tried that command probably 25 times and all I get is "what number do you want to call". Crazy.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Bizarre. I've tried that command probably 25 times and all I get is "what number do you want to call". Crazy.
Just checking.... You're using the center button, not the green phone button, right?

ptrnfan

Reaction score
Yes it works but very rarely will understand any verbal commands. Maybe I sound too much like "bubba" :)
It doesn't seem to matter what accent you have. It doesn't understand my west coast accent either.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to matter what accent you have. It doesn't understand my west coast accent either.

ha ha...it never works 85% of the time and when it does is has destinations not even close to where your going...lol...Be so easy if FCA would just allow the passenger to input data while in motion.

ptrnfan

Reaction score
By the way this function didn't work any better in my 2017 Ram 1500 nor in my wife's 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. I know there is a specific way the navigation needs you to provide the information but I have found that it doesn't work much better if you follow the way the manual tells you to do it. It's just not a very smart system. They need to spend some time on this. Maybe they can get help from Google or Apple. Their voice recognition is very good and I very good results using it with Google maps. FCA needs to think about how easy it is for them to use their phones when they review these systems with their suppliers.

The first time I used this function in my wife's Pacifica it reminded me of Ozzy Osbourne when he tried to use the voice recognition system in a car they were in.

Sorry the audio is so poor.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They need to just ditch the whole baked in NAV system and just make Android Auto/Carplay a more seamless experience.

Larry Crim

Reaction score
I got a new one to add in here. in the search bar when in nav there is a mic icon to the right that is never lit up whats the deal with it. Also if anyone knows what the APP Manager does please let me know I can't find anything on it.
and my voice recognition only works randomly and almost never for the nav

Buck

Reaction score
Can you tell me where the info on voice commands for NAV can be found? Appreciate any help. I cant seem to get the voice commands to work for the NAV.
Iook in mopar.com. manual

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By the way this function didn't work any better in my 2017 Ram 1500 nor in my wife's 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. I know there is a specific way the navigation needs you to provide the information but I have found that it doesn't work much better if you follow the way the manual tells you to do it. It's just not a very smart system. They need to spend some time on this. Maybe they can get help from Google or Apple. Their voice recognition is very good and I very good results using it with Google maps. FCA needs to think about how easy it is for them to use their phones when they review these systems with their suppliers.

The first time I used this function in my wife's Pacifica it reminded me of Ozzy Osbourne when he tried to use the voice recognition system in a car they were in.

Same issues with voice commands in our Toyota, it's wrong at least 75% of the time. But when I use Cortana while wearing my noise-cancelling Bluetooth headset connected to my phone, Cortana gets it right at least 95% of the time.

To add insult to injury, my phone and headset combined cost 1/3 what the vehicle navigation systems cost. But then, the phones all do their voice-recognition up in the cloud, while I'm sure the vehicles do their voice-recognition built into the vehicle's on-board software. So far no one has very good voice-recognition chips/circuitry inside the phone itself, but I know the chip makers & phone makers (and Microsoft, Google & Apple) are all working on moving voice-recognition from the cloud to the local device. Maye in five years or so, vehicles will be able to take advantage of the on-chip voice-recognition being developed for smartphones. We can hope.

ptrnfan

Reaction score
Same issues with voice commands in our Toyota, it's wrong at least 75% of the time. But when I use Cortana while wearing my noise-cancelling Bluetooth headset connected to my phone, Cortana gets it right at least 95% of the time.

To add insult to injury, my phone and headset combined cost 1/3 what the vehicle navigation systems cost. But then, the phones all do their voice-recognition up in the cloud, while I'm sure the vehicles do their voice-recognition built into the vehicle's on-board software. So far no one has very good voice-recognition chips/circuitry inside the phone itself, but I know the chip makers & phone makers (and Microsoft, Google & Apple) are all working on moving voice-recognition from the cloud to the local device. Maye in five years or so, vehicles will be able to take advantage of the on-chip voice-recognition being developed for smartphones. We can hope.

The funny thing is that Navigation is the only thing I have found that has a problem. No problem with voice command on music or phone contacts.

Capt Joe

Reaction score
Doesn't work on my limited...but neither the assist button nor the SOS button work ....keeps wanted me to create an account that is already set up

DivrGuy

Reaction score
Took my truck to the dealer yesterday for service and brought up the navigation voice command thing. I printed out a TSB that updates the uconnect software to see if they would update it and see if that fixes it. When I picked it up, the service advisor tried to tell me that voice command for navigation isn't supposed to work. :cautious:

So I showed him a section in the Uconnect manual giving the navigation voice commands, and asked why the hell they would print the commands in the manual if they aren't "supposed" to work. So then he finally looked at the TSB that I had PRINTED OUT FOR HIM and said, ok we'll have to find a flash drive and have someone download this and call you when its ready to install.

So I will keep after them and see if it fixes the issue for me and post back here. Below is the tsb I'm referring to. It tells how to check the version of your software. My truck was built in mid January 2019 and the version is well below this update.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I fixed mine with the Tazer works great among m,any other options it enables!Recommend it all the way....

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Mine works just like my 2013 uconnect. The nav command is "navigate to" then number,street,city and full state name (no abbreviations). Works very well and finds the correct address 95 outta 100 times.
Welcome to 2005

Users who are viewing this thread